CBC Vs Dealer

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXer
Supporting Member

CBC Vs Dealer

Post by KDXer »

I rang around today to find a new bottom steering stem bearing. Heres the funny part;

CBC (Consolidated Bearing Co) $40

Dealer #1 $39.50

Dealer #2 $18.70 :shock:

What gives with the difference I wonder...

Anyone bought one before ??

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Go check out the bearings at the various places... you can tell a high quality bearing from junk. Check how tight the rollers fit in the cage.
I'd be suspicious of the $18.70 bearing but I wouldn't tell them that in case it's NOS and they haven't updated their pricing.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

NOS ??
New Old Stock ???

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yup...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

They have to get it from Kawasaki Australia as they had none in stock.

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

There's an 'H' set on ebay...bottom and top for a 'buy now' of something like $32 (US of course).

As much trouble as it is to replace that bearing, I'd want to use a good one. CBR historically uses Japanese (as opposed to Chinese or some other off-shore bearing source) bearings..and they historically are better.

Take their wheel bearings for example. Yes, they are more expensive than other 3rd party bearings (AllsBalls for example), but they last longer...and will be replaced free when they fail!!

Now...I don't suppose that applies to the steering head bearing...but is meant only for anecdotal 'evidence' that CBR sells good stuff and that there IS a difference when it comes to bearings.

Dealer#1's price is about right on this side of the world, too. The bottom stem bearing comes with a seal. Considering the specificity of application, I'd almost bet that if the bearing has a seal, it is oem quality (for what that's worth).

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I have a new set of OEM KDX steering stem bearings. They come with new races, too.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Who made 'em? I've forgotten...

Consider the source

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Who made the OEM ones?? Hmm... Now you want me to find them, too? :grin:

WAIT! I think I know where they are. Lemme check...

Koyo
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Well, you SAID you had 'em. I thought that meant you...well...HAD 'em. ;)

All of my KDX parts are in 'The Bin'. Basically a big tub-full-o-stuff that 1/2 the time I can't find a darn thing in...except for everything I'm NOT looking for!

If I'd been able to find my old chain guide parts in 'The Bin' I could'a let bradf know what the dimensions of the bottom block are! But, Heck no!!

Yeah. I thought 'Koyo' was right. But, having recently bought some tires I wondered if I was recalling 'Toyo'

Oh-yo.

Thanks for looking.

Consider the source

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I think Koyo is a bearing company. Seems familiar from all my Toyota crap.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

KOYO is a very large bearing company in japan. The big 4, Yam Kaw Suz Hon all use them in there motor cycle products. Koyo makes the best crank main bearing I've seen.

Ron
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Thanks Ron. I don't know if you remember me but I'm the annoying Aussie that sent you some emails awhile back about getting my carb modded. Well it looks like I'll be looking for an Airstryer very soon. Woohoo. Thanks again Ron and I look very forward to testing out your fine work.

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I highly doubt that you could ever wear out the bearings because for one, they never spin around and have a limited range. They are over engineered too. If adjusted properly and greased yearly... they should last a lifetime. Mine showed no wear... 10 years old and not cared for... but they will be now! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

The 03 KX beaarings wouldn't even spin. It was jammed.

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Did you try to work grease into them and keep working them? I had to do that with my shock bearing but now it is spinning freely and is smooth as glass....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I tried but it would only move about 1mm each way. It sounded like there was some nasty grit inside it. I chisled it off the KX stem and soaked it in kerosine, still no luck. It didn't move even after trying to tap it free with a flat blade driver. It doesn't look damaged at all so I dunno why it's soooooo stuck.