more tuning questions

Got questions? We got answers....
cleoent

more tuning questions

Post by cleoent »

I need some more help as i can't seem to get my tuning woes fixed...

2001 kdx220
fresh top end with wiseco
boysen dual stage power reeds
stock air filter (cleaned), de-snorkled, airbox lid drilled
fmf pipe and silencer
145 main, 42 pilot, needle on 3rd down
elevation of 0-3000 feet

Here's my symptoms, the bike starts and idles beautifully. BUT, my first gear is mostly useless, i can go about 3 mph before it starts sputtering like i've hit a rev limiter, 2nd gear the same, 3rd gear i can pick up some speed and get into the upper rpms but 4th gear is when it really starts to move and i can use the entire power band. What does this mean? Why cant i use the entire power band in the lower gears? first is non-existent.

Any tips? I haven't touched the air screw... I dont know what to do there. No space to do a plug chop.
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Seems like I used a 140 main for the same setup, same bike.

try moving the clip up to the top groove. If life improves, your main may be too large.

You really need to find a place where you can get a plug chop or two in, once you get it in the ballpark.

I think a 145 main is too rich.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Does the choke work? Meaning..can you tell a difference with it on from off?

Does 'start beautifully' mean you don't even need to use the choke? That's not 'beautiful'. That's a problem.

Verify that your reed block is installed correctly:

Note the tab on the lower left corner? Make sure it's not on the UPPER right corner. This piece installs 180º off just as easily as correctly.

That alone (reed block installed wrong) won't alone cause all of what you indicate is happening, but may be part of it.

Whether or not a 145 will be too rich on the main (at sea level?) isn't the point, yet. Same for the #3 clip position..but neither is going to cause blubbering as indicated..just off-performance and maybe a plug foul from time to time.

Who did the top end? What's the arrow on the top of the piston indicate?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote: What's the arrow on the top of the piston indicate?
Good write up of ideas CC. My bet is the arrow is wrong direction
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I know it's a good day when IC agrees with something I said!!!

He's one fart smeller!!
:wink:

Consider the source

cleoent

Post by cleoent »

Arrow is pointing the right way.

i'll check the reeds, i was careful to put them the right way, i'll also lean it out a bit and put the 140 back there. So you guys think, the problem is too much air not enough fuel not the other way around?

Will give it a go, thank you :)
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Don't take the questions personally. The point is solve the problem. The top-end having just been done, the most likely culprit is something amiss with that process.

Example:
It's not the reeds being in the 'right way' that I questioned. When I ask about the reed block, and you respond with how the reeds were put in..it makes me wonder. Again no one is here to irritate or piss you off OR denegrate your ability..but to solve the problem.

Old story...but I spent WEEKS once trying to sort out a rider's troubles...lot's of emails back and forth..only to find that his air screw was black in color..and made of nylon.

That's what he thought, anyway. :roll:

It's impossible to tell where 'the basics' start with any particular question. To overlook the most obvious because it's too basic is ..well, basically a mistake.

BTW..'Arrow is pointing the right way' is incorrect. It doesn't point to the right! :wink:

Consider the source

cleoent

Post by cleoent »

no sweat.

Reed block is pointing the right way as well. Arrow is the right way...

do you think i should dump the stock filter and go with a uni? Could that be the culprit? It was a lot worse this weekend up in the higher elevations that i ride in (2K+) than it usually is at my normal <1k feet elevations.

but even at <1k elevation it's not running right.
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

btw- choke is needed to start in colder conditions. (cold starts)
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

IF the condition is due to being too rich...it's WAY bad. It's not something a 142 vs: a 145 is going to fix.

How 'bout a stuck float? Any evidence of the 'too full' tube out of the carb peeing?

There isn't anything wrong with a properly cleaned and oiled OEM filter. Run it for a minute with it off..see if it just improves, or gets altogether better.

A couple steps back....

When did this start..what was done since it ran fine..how long has that been?

Although this isn't a classic KDX problem..it DOES sound a LOT like a classic XR problem..and that's a faulty exciter coil.

Was the rotor off?

Do you happen to have a high-tension (ignition) tester? One'a those LED devices you clamp to the spark plug wire and read thousands of volts in the wire?

Maybe take the rag OUT of the carb throat that you put in there during the rebuild proces to keep dirt out! :wink:

FTR...the arrow points toward the front of the bike...the holes in the skirt are toward the carby.

....for those that din't know there WAS an arrow on the piston. ..usually.

Consider the source

cleoent

Post by cleoent »

maybe i'll pull the head cover and just make sure about the piston, i'm 99.9 percent certain it's pointing towards the exhaust.

Let me play with the jets and the air screw and see if that fixes it up.

Like i said, it was a lot worse this weekend in the higher altitudes than it usually is.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Head cover? :hmm:

If that means the head...don't.

Pull the pipe off...or take the reed cage out. Check it that way.

Re: '..whole lot worse...'

This: 'BUT, my first gear is mostly useless, i can go about 3 mph before it starts sputtering like i've hit a rev limiter, 2nd gear the same...'

..is worse enough! It don't have to GET worser'n that!!

Consider the source

cleoent

Post by cleoent »

perhaps i wasn't clear...

that's what it was like this weekend in the higher altitudes, normally it's better.
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

what does the air screw do? Can someone give me a good baseline?

Around where i normally ride <1k elevation, my mid throttle response is my only problem, i have full use of my power band if i give it full throttle. I've tried the clip on the #2 and #3 position, no luck, thoughts?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Now I'm lost.

This:

BUT, my first gear is mostly useless, i can go about 3 mph before it starts sputtering like i've hit a rev limiter, 2nd gear the same...

..has nothing to do with this:

my mid throttle response is my only problem

...and <1k to 2k+ el change isn't going to make that difference.

The air screw adjusts off-idle response. That said, every circuit in the carb effects every other circuit to some extent. A way-off main will mess up your idle for example.

Adjust the air screw for best response. Basic method: 2nd gear, under load (say up a grade), walking speed, crack the throttle from idle to 3/8-1/2 or so.

Rule of thumb is: Air screw more than 2 out=pilot too rich. Less than 3/4=pilot too lean.

In an unmodified carb that is jetted 1/2-fast, you will be in the 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 area.

Don't jerk the measurement around..don't change the air screw from 3 out to 1 out and expect an immediate change in the above test method. 'Clean it out' a bit from one adjustment to the other.

The result you're after is no hesitation..no BOOO-WAH, no diving front end. The bike should just 'GO'....jump like a bunny wabbit.

Consider the source

cleoent

Post by cleoent »

yeah i can see my thread is very poorly written, i apologize for that. Even though you guys are having to sort through my mess you've given me great suggestions.

I moved the needle up to the 2nd clip, and i put in a 142 today. I only rode it around my block but floored in second gear the front end wanted to come up even from a slow roll, excellent. :supz:

Does the wiseco piston and rings take a longer time to warm up? I noticed this weekend and even today that the bike will take a long time to run properly, 5 minutes or so.... is that normal? Or is that a sign of another problem?
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

I'm also thinking about going and buying a new spark plug, i think i'm on the original one... should i just get the exact same one??
AwfulSmokey

Post by AwfulSmokey »

>|<>QBB<
cleoent wrote:I'm also thinking about going and buying a new spark plug, i think i'm on the original one... should i just get the exact same one??
NGK BR8ES
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... you should always thoroughly warm up your bike when running a Wiseco piston! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
cleoent wrote:I'm also thinking about going and buying a new spark plug, i think i'm on the original one... should i just get the exact same one??
The original one??! :shock: :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS