Choke Jet

Got questions? We got answers....
JoeR

Choke Jet

Post by JoeR »

A quick search of the forum didn't turn up any answers on this. Has anyone ever changed/tried to change the choke jet size? I've got an '01 KDX200 and it is a real pain in the butt to get started in the colder weather. If it's cold enough it won't start at all without dripping a little fuel in the cylinder. The manual lists a #78 jet for the choke jet, but I admit I've never tried to find it or see if it can be easily replaced.
Any suggestions welcome. Hunting season is about to end and I'd like to get back in the saddle before the big snow gets here.
Joe
'01 KDX200
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

You should rejet your main and pilot when it gets cold and stable. What sled is that on your avatar BTW?
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

JoeR,

The choke jet on the Keihin carbs are a pressed in and non replaceable.

Ron
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Thanks for the info Ron. I had my hopes up for a while. I've got to come up with an easier way to get this thing lit when it's cold. I'll get it figured out eventually.
Onda- Now that it's cold I'm back to stock jetting. The pilot is still a little on the fat side, but the main is pretty good with the clip on the third slot.
The sled is me on my '96 Ski-Doo SS670 with an SC-10 Suspension.
Joe
'01 KDX200
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

just tried to respond and the site dropped me out ??????? HEY WHAT'S UP VINCE ??????????

I will try and rewrite a good way to start a stubborn engine when cold........................................sorry the post I just tried to post didn't post or work!

MADDDDDDDDDD RIGHT NOW !!!!! :butthead:
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I just turn on the choke and then lay the bike over till it pees good for 3-4 seconds, then rock it back and forth in 3rd gear 5 or 6 times then use the kick starter to start it.

I use to turn-in the A.S. about a turn when it was real cold to help start it combined with the above method and then once the bike was getting warmed up just back the A.S. out about a turn. Seems like the KDX actually starts pretty easy without messing with the A.S. although I'm not riding like SKIPRO when it is in the twenties.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

Thank you IdahoCharley,

Yes this is exactly what I tried to post the first time and then it went by-by (still pissed)

Old day trick was to lay the bike over till gas peed out of the carb over flows......, tip thew bike back up and crack the throttle slightly and it should start in the first or second kick.

With the KDX and good jetting, the bike should start with the choke, but if the top end is WEAK and it is very cold the above information should work, good luck.

Sorry my first post didn't work :roll: ???????? :rolleyes: oh well (Vince????)

Ron
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Don't know Ron... I haven't had any problems with the site. :hmm:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

If the bike is properly jetted and does not have other issues it should start no matter what the temp

It was 34* today and my old '92 started the first kick
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'm going to try the bike tipping thing. Sounds interesting, and easier than kicking it until I'm tired.
I haven't done a comression check on it recently, but it sure doesn't kick like it's low(...I know, poor indicator). In the warm weather it starts easily, especially when I ride it every day. When the engine temp drops into the low thirties it becomes a pain in the butt. Low twenties and I can't get it to fire at all. Luckily by then the snow is deep enough for snowmobiling and the bike gets a nice rest.
'01 KDX200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Maybe you are getting some condensation in your gas?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Starting procedures can be a pain..'cuz they only work once during a ride. A bike that's sat for a couple hours isn't going to start like a bike that's sat for a couple weeks.

A too-wide spark plug gap is hard to start. With the OEM stator, set the plug to spec. That figure eludes me at the moment..I haven't used it in years, but probably around .026". Just change the plug, see if that helps.

Also..for starters (ha! I'm SO funny!!) give it a good kick or two with the kill switch depressed before you try to light it up.

Old gas is never your friend..and that 'old' isn't measured in years it's been sitting around, but weeks..and a small number at that.

If you're kicking until you're tired, change something. Open the throttle more (or less). If you've kicked it a dozen times, look at the plug and it's soaking wet, the problem is not not enough fuel, but bad fuel or weak spark. Kick it WOT a few times.

All other things being OK (fuel, plug, spark) and it's just a cold start problem, a couple kicks with the kill switch 'on' will take care of it.

IF...you get a WAY high revving engine on a choke cold start, that's an indication of a too lean pilot jet. A bike that runs well when hot, but is a PITA to start is worth the PITA. Don't rejet to fix a cold start hassle if it runs like it should when it's hot.

Good luck.

BTW...I've had a number of very slow screen loads on the site over the past couple of days...have no idea if that's a web problem or a hiccup on the site.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Just about every time I've ever had to kick one of my bikes numerous times, to get it to start, It ended up being water in the fuel. Sometimes you can carefully take the bowl off and see the water.

Really happened a lot back when I lived in Eastern Or. In the winter time it rarely gets above 30* there
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
80elkster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 80elkster »

Hey Wibby where in Eastern Oregon did you live??? I grew up in LaGrande, Yeah I know this is off the subject. Just curious :roll:
06 DR650 Farkled
91 WR250 2T
00 300EXC (Sold)
79 XS850 (Sold)
79 CR250 (Sold)
78 IT400 (Stolen)
75 G5 100 Kawi (Gave it away)
73 F7 175 Kawi (Sold)
70 175 Brigestone (Recycled)
05 KDX200(Son's)
93 KDX200
75 KT250 Trials
250 Quads
Just glad to be ridin!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Burns
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

i had to start my bike this past weekend in 17 degree weather, it took about 15 kicks or so but started. Usually starts cold first kick.

A few newer bikes like a couple of husky's and ktm's with the e-start wouldn't even start until it warmed up about an hour later. Crazy.
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Chances are the e-start doesn't crank them as hard. That being said, if it's the latter, sometimes a hard-starting motor is harder to start the harder (more repetative) it's cranked too. Try CC's trick of starting w/ the kill button on for a few revs. That helps fill the cyl w/ fuel.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

i think the estart cranks them a lot harder than a kick would...
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

I wanted to report my results to everyone. I tried tipping the bike on its side until fuel dripped out the overflow. I kicked it 2 times, tipped it again and it fired right up. That sure beats the heck out of kicking it until I'm winded. Thanks for the suggestion. I still need to return the jetting to stock before I ride it in the cold weather, but with the snow on the ground it looks like the season is over for me until next april/may.
Joe
'01 KDX200