Want a total woods weapon for under 3k. Ideas?

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I still think the KDX is still the ultimate woods bike. No one has ever shown me any different.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

deleted double post
Last edited by IdahoCharley on 07:09 pm Nov 28 2007, edited 1 time in total.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
layoutd wrote:Don't want to be a pooper, but you can pick up an 04 KTM 200 for less than three and not have to do any modifications and will have a lighter, stronger, faster bike.

I have a fondness for my old KDX, but I'll never go back.
We have both KTM and KDX - both would generally require skid plates, bark busters, springs and possible valving for your weight and terrain, and jetting/gearing for your riding style. Many people do not seem to like the PDS shock and never get use to it (personally I like mine but it cost me 350 plus to have MX-Tech to upgrade a 02 shock to an 05 level shock) Generally speaking most casual riders will think the stock KDX shock is great once it is correctly sprung for their weight.

You do get a better chain and stock pipe on the KTMs but.... The KDX will poop along all day with the kids or wife and not complain - the KTM will not be so easy to ride with the kids and wife. Also the KTM may need a spark arrestor silencer added. Not trying to be a pooper on the KTM but they still need some attention to details also. Need to look at HIS original criteria also - does not seem to be express interest or much priority in a lighter or fast bike.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

HIS original post quoted:
"I would like a bike that can handle the nasty stuff, putt with the kids, and take me through a couple of harescrambles and GP's. "

if you want something for the nasties, scrambles, and GPs, then the KTM is the way to go. As far as putting around, that is about the only thing first gear is good for on the EXC and XCW. I do trials around the house on it. Much more agile.

Sure all bikes are going to need the protection, so no need to bring that up. At least on the KTMs the suspension is even. I did put a lighter spring on mine though. My KDX came stock set up for a 200 pounder in the back and a 130 pounder up front. Once I put the KX forks and a proper spring in the shock it was fine, but that goes beyond HIS original post. The heavier KDX does track a little better though.
The price he wants calls for a pre 2004 model and all of those came with sparkies, i think it was 06 that went to "closed circuit" bikes.
I have a Rekluse so it does not matter, but that stock hydraulic clutch is nice as well.
Which would you prefer?
paid $1,800 and then added forks, springs, Gnarly, other

or
paid $2500 as is(did add a rekluse though and a little other bling later)
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'd take the KTM... but only because I already own a KDX! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
firffighter wrote:I actually just sold my KTM200exc a couple of weeks ago. Here's the thing with the KTM, it does not have the chug factor the KDX does. I re-jetted, adjusted the power valve, re-geared, and even put a FWW on the KTM, and it still doesn't have the ability to chug at low speeds like the KDX does.
Maybe it has a "little" something to do with the rider, but I've ridden with Chuck Steahly, (yeah the same guy that makes the Steahly FWW)
And his 200 Punkin definately chugs as good as any KDX I've ever been around.
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I've been down the KTM 200exc trail twice and it certainly is the bike I would have kept if I were just riding with the guys and racing, but, I do have 4 kids at home and 3 are riding now and I am here to tell you that the KTM "can" putt behind the kids, but it certainly is not as good at it as my KDX was. I am not saying the KDX is a superior machine to the KTM, but in looking for bike that can handle the criteria I have stated, the KDX is hard to beat. The way I look at it after owning 2 KTM 200's and a KDX is that the KTM is a race bike through and through whereas the KDX is a trail bike that can race.
'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's my take too...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Sorry for the previous rant, but I have been down the KTM vs. KDX road before and I know I want the KDX for my situation. It fits my needs and is light, reliable and cost effective. The only other bike I might consider is a used WR250f (really nice to have e-start), but I would worry about the reliability issue compared to a used KDX.

My original question is what can I do to make it a total woods weapon. I have found a '98 KDX 200 with FMF pipe/silencer, new Renthals and Acerbris handguards, new chain and sprockets for $1500. It is very clean.

I think with a RB carb and head mod, Boyesen reeds, airbox mod, trials tire and autocluch I would have a pretty decent woods bike for around $2500.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Well, of course, most here would agree! The WR's are bulletproof compared to most thumpers, but have thin seats and are tall - plus they weigh about 15 to 20 lbs more than a KDX.
I got rid of a CRF250X because it just wasn't as nimble in the really tight stuff as a KDX (plus I never could trust the valve situation).
You won't go wrong with a KDX in a hare scramble race as long as its not full of wide open stuff.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:A 200 is just as capable... especially after the 220 has the carb mod. The only difference between the two is the size of the carb... and a slight difference in porting.

I would take the 200 over the 220 any day....
I think that if my 220's actually had a smaller cc count than a 200, I may ignor or avoid the fact that there is no replacment for displacment and say they were virtually the same but I would take a 220 over a 200 any day.
But since a 220 has a 10% larger displacement. which=a 10% larger explosion to move the same amount of weight. I don't need to go there.

I think when Vince comes to Missouri in 08, While he is sleepin I will swap his 2hunny engine with one of my 220 powerplants and see how he feels about the 10% increase then. :wink:
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think if you rode my 2 hunny... you would be cleaning your shorts of choco puddin' my freind! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

GS

Post by GS »

This is gettin interesting....... :razz:

War of the Tractors!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

My WR is a tractor to the point that it would pull two KDX's backwards in a tug o war. She is however old, and testy, with ergos that just don't work for me. Will never sell bessie though as she's a relic in being the last of the jap wide 250's. It's also a wide trans coupled with a cyl that barely runs on 93 octane, and a full MX port/ign tune. Not exactly a woods-friendly mid-range, but does chug nicely in the granny gear.

The KDX rocks, and I agree is the ultimate woods bike. Darn things just never seem to fit me quite right though so I'm thinking KTM or Husky wide 250 for my next ride. "(really nice to have e-start)" The new KTM's have e-start on a 2-stroke! :mrgreen: Not that it's hard to kick them twice at most....Would never buy a brand new dirt bike. The new 4-strokes have the e-start because the dissatisfaction of recrational riders would be immense when they wore themselves out starting a hot bike, on a hot day. I will say that when I think KTM, I immediately think 250. The 200 is gutless because it's based off a 125 to start with....Unlike the KDX which is a ground-up woods motor. The 250 is, well, a 250 but they do a good job on the EXC w/ the porting, FWW, trans, etc to make a nice chuggable machine. Heck I fell in love w/ Inda's old one and it was a 98....The motor would chug so low I swear you could hear the rod bearings, and you could definitely count the strokes :shock: . I loved the conventional white powers on that too, but this was in the pre KX forked KDX days. I will certainely give Inda's tricked bike a try before making a purchase....I think I might just need tall foam and fast-a-ways to keep from straying from the all-mightly KDX.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

The WR250f I am looking at is a newer 4-stroke with e-start and is loaded with extras. The concern I have is that I know it has been ridden a lot and pretty hard. Now, I know the owner, and he has been meticulous with his maintenance, but I am not sure if this bike will meet my criteria as well as the KDX.
'
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:I think if you rode my 2 hunny... you would be cleaning your shorts of choco puddin' my freind! :mrgreen:
If your 2hunny comes with a substantial mid range hit, You may be right about that. My 05 has wild hit to it. I know it is there but I still end up stopping and scraping my shorts out with a piece of bark or a flat rock with a good edge on it. I belive the VF3 reeds are responsible. I honestly have grown out of the "Wild, loss of control, into a tree, power band Hit". I like the useable, no surprise, power everywhere. That what I get out of my 02 220. The 05 gets a bit unpredictable in tight stuff.

I'm not sure about the porting differences. My exhaust ports are polished on my 02. I cant see Kawi making them too much different besides maybe the 220 having shorter chambers due to having a LARGER CYLINDER BORE.

I hear that Illinois is all flat with no trees. that would make riding a bike with a strong hit a little more forgiving. Isn't technical terrain in illinois considered a Crop Circle with road kill scattered about within it wher you try to roll the Deer, possums, coons,cats,dogs but avoid the skunks :wink:
Last edited by TopperHarley on 01:38 pm Nov 29 2007, edited 2 times in total.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
2005 KDX220 mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... Illinois isn't a rock if that's what you mean. :mrgreen:

If your talkin' to myksluv (Kirsten) then your not getting the true story.

We don't ride where it's flat and barren... that's where our houses and corn fields are.
The few places we have to ride are actually pretty decent.

My bike does have a pretty good midrange hit and I'm running the DEK needle now.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

I Occasionally ride at the Cahokia Creek Dirt Riders Club in White City Ill. with Mike Hamilton from JMP Cycles in Wood River, Ill. They have some of the best single track woods trails I have ridden on. NO FOURWHEELERS ALLOWED!!!!!! :supz: its very difficult to be a member so I go as a guest.

http://webpages.charter.net/CCDR/home.htm

http://pics.cahokiacreekdirtriders.com/

Didn't hear anything from Myksluv about where ya'll ride.

Just giving you a hard time because its fun and you like it. :lol:
2005 KDX220 mine
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Any advice on the 2003 WR250? Anyone have or ridden the new 250 4 strokes? How would they do in the situations I have described?
'
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Great until they blow up.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project