Chain adjusment

Got questions? We got answers....
urnuts

Chain adjusment

Post by urnuts »

Does the factory chain stretch a lot?
I've got about 40 miles on my '06 and that chain is loose!
So loose I could not believe I made it out of the woods.
I'm a little confused as to the method of checking the tension- it's on 5 right now (after I just adjusted it) and 5.5 just seemed too tight.
Also, checking the adjustment with me OFF the bike seems weird, as it's with me ON the bike that matters. When I went to 5.5 and put most of my considerable weight on the seat, the chain was way too tight.
Any suggestions or tips from you more experienced KDX'ers would be appreciated!
Have a great holiday.
bmcd308

Post by bmcd308 »

My factory chain stretched quickly, too. Adjust it per the owner's manual. Having 2.2 to 2.8 inches between swingarm and chain when the bike is on the side stand (see manual) will result in a little bit of (enough) slack when the sprocket centers and the swingarm pivot are all in a line, which is when the chain is at its tightest.

I had to adjust mine about one click on the adjuster after each day of riding for the first few rides, but now it stretches much more slowly, and I have to adjust it after every three or four rides.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

The stock chain is junk, had to adjust after every ride. It was soooo stretch (as I was for cash 2) that I couldn't adjust it anymore so what did I do? Removed 2 links till I received my new chain! (I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS and won't do it again, cuz if the chain breaks, it can get jammed between the case and the CS = bad news and you're stuck in the middle of nowhere :? )
Any way, make sure you 're not adjusting TOO tight, it'll stretch faster, if you can have somebody check it out when you're on the bike fully geared it's best
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

It aint really stretching :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Listen to JayBird, now!!

The 200 rolls off the floor with a non-ringed chain. It gets longer (is that better?) pretty fast.

The 220 'upgrade' (hack-koff-snicker--gagghhh) comes with an o-ringed chain.

Nothing wrong with a good ring-less chain..but that's not what's on the 2-hunny.

Setting it like it ('da book) says is good: Off the bike,extended shock, 2 1/4" from the top of the swingarm to the bottom of the chain at the back of the slipper (the black guide/guard that wraps around the swingarm).

If your sag is set correctly, chances are the bike will be topped out when it's leaning on the kickstand.

If your 240 on the OEM 5.0 shock spring ('H' model) that will probably be on the snug side of things.

If you have a straight line from the CSS to the rear axle through the swingarm pivot when your bike is on the kickstand..sumthin' ain't at all right.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
urnuts

Post by urnuts »

Thanks for all the tips.
According to the info, 5.5 was correct. 5 was about 3" slack- it seemed like to much.
Went riding this weekend up in Vermont- just too cold... for me anyway!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Damn boy, It must've been 30ish in vermont!
urnuts

Post by urnuts »

Colder than that! 23 at the bottom of the mountain- well under that mid-way; Probably 18-ish.
There's a point at which it's no longer fun!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I love my grip heat..... :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!