New Beast (KDX is not going anywhere!)

Got questions? We got answers....
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
AwfulSmokey wrote:ahh, i got the husky confused with the pumpkin there for a minute. I was thinking it was a 4 stroke.

"Theres no relacement for displacement" :whistle:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

:lol:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
Ondatrail wrote:>|<>QBB<
AwfulSmokey wrote:ahh, i got the husky confused with the pumpkin there for a minute. I was thinking it was a 4 stroke.

True. That's why I've decided to mount a 572 Big Block to my RM.
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:>|<>QBB<
Ondatrail wrote:>|<>QBB<

True. That's why I've decided to mount a 572 Big Block to my RM.
Sweet! great for that ST! :lol:
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
Cturbo

Post by Cturbo »

I love my Husky (not as much as my KDX :mrgreen: ) For it's preformance, but at only one year of use (300 hrs.) time will tell how it compares to my 15 year old ultra reliable KDX. :roll:
1992 KDX 200
2004 KLX 110
2006 SMR 510
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skoalman »

CFSpawn,

Let me preface the Long winded post by saying that I had surgery last week and I'm just sitting at home and can't ride for another 4 weeks -- so I'm bored, and want to apologize for going on -- but what else can I do -- I just wanna ride.

Well, this may be a little late. But I have an 06 Husky WR 250. To me, this the best all around 250 motor I've ever swung a leg over...The low and midrange are just absolutely astounding for east coast single track riding.

I purchased mine last november on ebay for 4700 OTD (delivered) from heinen's yamaha. Added bark busters, and a Steahly 10oz FWW to tame its strong (not abrupt, however) engine, jetted it a little fat for winter riding and off I went. No need to change pipe, gearing, or even the tires. Oh, it's fast -- no doubt -- and some owners prefer the G2 throttle tube over the FWW for throttle control purposes. Bike came with stiff springs that were probably okay for someone with a weight of 190 or so. But I'm 5'11 and 225 lbs w/o gear, and therefore I had the suspension revalved and re-sprung for my weight. And now this bike just flows & tracks so well through woods and particularly rock gardens that I simply can't see myself getting rid of this bike anytime soon. The WR 250 is still using engine technology from the 90's to some degree (minus the old 6 speed gearboxes) -- but they have proved to be a very robust, durable, and strong engine (just like my 84/85 Husky WR 400). Honestly next to my previous KDX's, my Huskies are the most durable bikes I've ever owned -- hands down.

It's a bit tall in the saddle and therefore if you're under 5'10 or your inseam is under 30 inches -- you have 2 choices -- raise the forks in the triple clamps (which defintely improved the steering quickness and its agility) and shave the seat foam, or get heel lifts in your boots :mrgreen
The Husky (modern or vintage) kickstarter angle has always been a sore spot for some folks, but you kinda get use to it. It requires a healthy boot that's for sure -- But it's a whole lot easier than firing up my Maicos.

As far as modern bikes are concerned over the past 4 years I've owned 2 (1999, 2002) KDX 200's, 93 Husky 360 WXE, 98 KTM 300, 01 Husky WR 250, and an 05 KTM 250 SX (Offroad set up, FWW, etc..). And although the 05 KTM 250 (actually loved this bike, and for the life of me I don't know why I sold it) was just a little bit more flickable (but not as stable), easier to start, had the juice clutch, etc -- but it didn't have the tractor/low end torque feel like my current Husky. The WR's motor is what really won me over in the end.

Sure, I'm hoping with HVA's recent take over by BMW that there will be some advance in their 2 stroke technology (especially the kickstarter :wink: ), like they have done with HVA's 4 stroke bike -- but if didn't happen I think I still would be satified with what I've got. You here people on many forums say that KDX is just a "trail bike," and that it's okay for beginners, but truth is that the KDX like Husky has proven itself time and time again. The KDX's design to a large extent, has withstood the test of time. Bottom line is that both the KDX and Husky WR 250 are a little old school, in terms of technology -- but they're both strong, durable, reliable and will be with ya' til the end. The only reason I sold my most recent KDX was because the Husky never broke down, and that I've got 4 more vintage bikes along with the Husky stuffed into a single door garage. The KDX (suspension revalved and just totally dialed in for me) was my back up HS race bike, but it just wasn't being ridden enough so I passed it onto a gentleman in PA and yes, he's happy!! Glad it went to a good home!

BTW if you need info and tech help checkout Thumpertalk's Husqvarna 2 stroke section -- a great resource.

Again sorry for the long post -- got nothin' but time right during my recovery period.

Skoalman
Skoalman
2017 Beta 300RR
1997 Suzuki DR650
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
1983 Husqvarna WR 430
1982 Husqvarna WR 430
1979 Bultaco 370 Fontera
1979 Maico 400 GS
1978 Maico 400 GS
1979 KTM 400 GS
1978 KTM 400 GS
1977 Penton 250 GS
1977 Suzuki TS 185
1974 Rokon 340 RT
1973 DKW 125 Enduro
1971 Maico 400 GS
1970 Maico 250 GS
1968 Maico 360 MC
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

Hey Skoalman

Cheers for a great post.
ive had about 4 rides on mine so far and just love it. although i still feel the forks are a little stiff, but its brand new still so ill give it some time to soften up. one little hiccup with mine (which stopped me from riding this weekend) is that 2 of the reeds had let go off the reed basket and ended up in the air filter luckly! so im currently waiting for the dealer to send me a replacement basket under warranty, which is rather annoying! fingers crossed its just a one off. but yeah on strippin it down its almost more basic than the kdx and thats saying something!
ive armored mine up with bashplate, frame guards and radiator guards and i must say it looks grunty as!
To be completly honest which is bragged to my riding buddies numerous occasions that this bike is the closest thing to riding my kdx, just the fun factor and features but yeah this. i really need to get my kdx out and about soon its ready to race but cant put the husky down!! the other beauty of this bike is that its got 2 years warranty so i can keep breaking stuff and its gonna be fixed!
:supz: