New Beast (KDX is not going anywhere!)

Got questions? We got answers....
cfspawn

New Beast (KDX is not going anywhere!)

Post by cfspawn »

Hey all.
Ive recently purchased a Brand new 07 Husky WR250 to my delight. Ill be driving up to pick her up tomorrow. still keepin my kdx and will probably never get rid of it. Im sure its gonna be one of those scenarios where you buy the latest tricked up model and still have your old favourite in the garage still and wont part with it! (kinda like a old part of slippers) Does anyone else have one? or ridden one and what are your thoughts? I cant wait to get this beast out on the track, read and heard lots of good things about em.
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

Nice.

A new baby in the house...and a new BIKE too! :grin:

We use to see in the newspaper ads: new baby, must sell the bike.

But not for you! : new baby must add an other bike :rolleyes:

So is it a 2 stroke? I do not realy know theses bike. Is it like a Yamaha?
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Congratulations on your new bike!

Yeah, wr 250 is a 2-stroke. I have a Husky dealer 5 minutes from my house. I sat on pretty much all the models (no test rides though). They seem like really nice bikes.

Ergonomics feel great and the suspension is supposed to be really good too. I know that the 4-stroke enduro models have grease fittings on the linkage, and I think the 2-strokes do too. A really nice feature in my opinion.

I wish they made a 200 cc 2-stroke, I would probably buy one. I hear the wr250's are really nice with lots of linear power. The only downside I have heard of is some people feel that the Mikuni carb is harder to jet than a pwk.

You should check out huskytalk.com and the 2-stroke sub-section of thumpertalk.com, lots of good info there. Can't wait to hear your ride report! :mrgreen:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Sounds great! Lots of pics please!

There is a lot of carb swapping with those bikes - the PWK is much preferred. Have fun!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've heard the same: carb issues with jetting. Make sure you discuss this with the dealer ahead of time. He may already know and have the carb set up correctly for your area. Husky dealers are usually several cuts above Kawasaki, or any Jap bike for that matter dealer.

I hope you got a good price. My dealer, motoexotica, is selling them for $4849 + tax/reg. See him here: http://www.motoxotica.com/husqvarna.htm
I know; you are down under and all, but still, I hope you get a good deal at the end of the year, and maybe the price check can help with your negotiations!! Ha!! I almost bought one over the 2002 KX250 I got. It was a matter of which one surfaced first and the KX showed up the next morning.

So, I am still interested as I too want to keep a stable of bikes since both my sons like to ride when they come visiting me. So keep us all informed of how everything transpires with the new bike!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Awesome!

I work at a Husky dealer but I can't really answer any questions about them because we hardly have any business with them. Small town + first year dealer = no business. For some dumbass reason the owners never bought any 2-strokes, yet we've had more interest in those than the 4strokes we have.

I haven't ridden a WR but from my friends experience their is alot of power in the midrange. Decent low, strong middle and decent top end. He loves the suspension too. The 4strokes are nice though, extremely smooth but with tons of power. I want a TE610 so bad. :supz:

I'm hoping we hold our dealership next year because the new 08 models are EFIed. That's pretty cool imo.

Have fun with the bike. :partyman:
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

Cheers Guys Thanks for the info! Yes expect a full ride report in a couple days time ready for the weekend.
Yeah Phil, Definitely the other way around with a new bub in the house. but she can ride the KDX when she grows up :rolleyes:
Basically was tossing up between the husky and a pumpkin. read alot of dodgy stuff that has been covered up with those bikes. not to mention the local stories i hear from stealership to stealership. from the comments on here sounds like ive made the right choice already i haven't really heard anything bad about them, and from what ive read in the mags they have won all the tests.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

They don't get much write-ups because Husky won't give them free to the mags. I don't care, the proof is on the forums and the riders who report about them. You got a good bike and I'm envious.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:They don't get much write-ups because Husky won't give them free to the mags. I don't care, the proof is on the forums and the riders who report about them. You got a good bike and I'm envious.
Ditto - Now go out and enjoy it!!!
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

Before i start please note, that the night before my ride i reassembled my KDX back to original condition (shock assembly replacement) so please do not call neglect!

Now.
This bike is like chalk and cheese compared to what im used to.
apart from the fact i have to stand on the kicker to start the thing.
This thing is gonna scare me for years to come no doubt, I found it to be really low geared but had 4 stroke like tourqe which is awesome for narley hill climbs and other technical stuff. the midrange on this baby is the best feature. this thing had so much explosive midrange i didn't not even get to the top end!
Steering is second to none, basically point and shoot! Suspension has awesome potential but needs a bit of tweaking to get it right between the front and rear.
A few small quirks. my head up display is not working properly right out of the box, gotta see the dealer about this. did i say a few?? sorry thats the only one lol
Stand by for some pics gotta charge me camera!

:supz:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Great to hear you like that bike! I want to know more as you get into the riding, maintenance, etc. I'm gonna end up with one someday I hope... I'll keep my Kawasaki too 'cause they are just plain fun!!
Best way to describe a KDX is that they are 100% pure fun. We all know that and won't beat you up just because you spread your wings a little farther than most of us.

And get lots of pictures before that new bike sets you on your ear and gets dirty and scratched all up!!
Jerry

cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

Yeah Cheers Jerry,
Na my kdx is not going no where. as i know this for myself that they are hell fun to ride. problem is mines getting too old in the tooth with problems with the frame (being a 1990 model) unlike most guys on here who have a H model which is a much better bike.
I done a stack of research on these bikes and this is the closest bike to a kdx i could find fun wise. (cheers to trev for stopping me from buying a pumpkin!)
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Shhhh, here's a secret...I might be buying a WR250 early next year. :cool:

Husqvarna is doing a racer support deal through dealers and I was looking at some pricing today.... ~$4700 OTD for an 08 WR250. That's not bad! I'm just hoping we keep the line because it's not making us any money, we're selling them at cost right now.
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

AwfulSmokey

Post by AwfulSmokey »

Nice looking machine! Why is the pipe already rusty?
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

LOL its not. its still dirty from the days ride..
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Thats a sweet bike, looks fast just sitting there.
AwfulSmokey

Post by AwfulSmokey »

If you could magically race yourself driving both bikes, what bike takes it off the line/mid/in the end?
1989 KDX 200
1999 KX 250
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

250cc 2-stroke all the way :supz:
AwfulSmokey

Post by AwfulSmokey »

ahh, i got the husky confused with the pumpkin there for a minute. I was thinking it was a 4 stroke.
1989 KDX 200
1999 KX 250