Headlight?

Got questions? We got answers....
staxbrix

Headlight?

Post by staxbrix »

Anyone have a wiring diagram for a 88 kdx 200?

Im trying to install a headlight since it gets dark around 4.

I have a 12v 55 watt atv light will the magneto power this? Or should I get a weaker bulb.

I have a diagram from a later model wich has a 35 watt front and 10 watt brake light.
AwfulSmokey

Post by AwfulSmokey »

I have one from 89-94.

Image[/img]
AwfulSmokey

Post by AwfulSmokey »

You brought up a good point stax. I just won an Acerbis DHH on ebay for $40 in mint condition. It has dual 35W bulbs. Will the bike be able to run it?
staxbrix

Post by staxbrix »

Does anyone know what the electric system puts out?

We dont need fried electrics here.

I think ill be alright maybe a tad dim. You could unplug a light and be on spec. Alot off stuff is overrated so that might come into play.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Uh.. no. You will not be able to run it. Good enough or do you need an explaination? Your stator does not put out enough juice.... betta? :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

You can run one of the 35w bulbs but not both at the same time.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
staxbrix

Post by staxbrix »

Yeah I would like a better explantion.

The diagram shows it has enough power for 40 watts. So I dont think 55 would push it. As I said the bulb might do 55 in perfect conditions. I can see how 70 would put a strain on the electrics if its meant for 40-50.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Actually...35 is pushing it. The stock setup is strained out of the box. Others have tried believe me... they either went back to the stock light or upgraded the lighting coil to a aftermarket one.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
staxbrix

Post by staxbrix »

Im going to try to find a 30 watt then. Maybe a Xenon that might brighten it up a bit.

A idea for the night riders, A HID headlight coversion. There mostly for luxury cars but might be worth it for anyone thats rides alot at night. Probaly more suited for street bikes.
AwfulSmokey

Post by AwfulSmokey »

After reading this, i went and did some searching. I seen alot of posts saying go to rickystator.com $40 for a rewind. I contacted Ricky Stator and asked how much. The reply i got was $100 for 75w.. Big jump in price or is my stator different?
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I tried a UFO lamp and plastic shroud when I smashed mine. Two 30 watt filaments, I think? No way, it barely turned orange.
I put the old bulb in the new housing and it is back like stock. 35 watts is not going to make enough light to ride at night, in my opinion, I don't care how it is delivered.
Stock combined with a good helmet light might work.
I've taped a flashlight to my helmet before, searching for lost riders :lol:
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The light isn't meant for riding at night, it's meant to get out of the woods without killing yourself. If you are looking to recreate at night, you're going to need a lot LOT more than the bike can ever deliver.

I swapped to an LED bulb I found off the internet. I could not muster any more candle power than the 30W filament bulb would deliver but at least I won't burn out a filament.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:The light isn't meant for riding at night, it's meant to get out of the woods without killing yourself. If you are looking to recreate at night, you're going to need a lot LOT more than the bike can ever deliver.
Maybe the stock set up

Add a higher output coil and the UFO twins light and you can ride at night all you want
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
staxbrix

Post by staxbrix »

The path im going down is lighted on both ends and runs along a lighted bridge. Under the bridge theres big hills where the supports are dug in. I managed to ride with a 9 led flashlight zip tied to my handlebars..

I just went to 3 stores looking for a smaller bulb and I cant find one for my light housing.

I found a complete 35 watt light with no mounting for $10 at advanced auto parts.
staxbrix

Post by staxbrix »

the wire coming off the magneto is yellow/black and red on my bike. And yellow and red in the diagram. should I plug into y/b or red.

And with the kill switch should I take the end thats grounded and plug that into the light and ground it in the middle? or splice it?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

What's the source of the above diagram?

It looks a tad strange. No voltage regulation? From the coil, though lights to ground?

I doubt it.

Re:
the wire coming off the magneto is yellow/black and red on my bike.
This is similar to earlier questions/posts if I recall correctly.

You're saying THE wire (meaning one)..is a lot of colors. Obviously, that isn't so. Maybe you mean the wireS..but then, why the 'is'.

Here's a good way to mess up stuff. Wire up something according to any answer you get to such a question.

Note that in the diagram there is ONE wire that runs the lights..it's yellow. The lighting coil (on the 'H' model..and I doubt any different on the 'E' model) has only on wire out of the stator, the other end of the circuit (the other end of the coil) being tied directly to the engine case (ground).
And with the kill switch should I take the end thats grounded and plug that into the light and ground it in the middle?
Sorry again..but I make no sense out of that at all. The kill switch has nothing to do with the lights. It's not connected to the same power circuit. There is only one ground reference..and that is frame ground. Maybe they're all connected at the same physical point, maybe not.

Answers are good...but only if they're good answers..and those aren't to be had with questions that cannot be understood.

Please do rephrase...and succinctly at that?

A good place to start is to know what's under your rotor/flywheel. If you are ADDING lights (as opposed to replacing lights that have been working), start by determining you HAVE a lighting coil in the first place.

Wire an unregulated lighting coil (as the diagram indicates) into the CDI..and things won't go well.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Actually the diagram he references is correct for a 89 (and possibly 90) KDX 200. They did not have a voltage regulator in the circuit.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I think I'd been told that before.

Just checking!

Thanks, M0rie!

Do you know if it applies to an '88?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
staxbrix

Post by staxbrix »

Look at where the bl wires from the light connect to the kill.
I was asking does it need to be connected to that wire or just ground ?

If it just needs to be ground, Then I can ground it on a bolt that mounts the light. Instead of splicing into the wire to connect them.

In the pic it grounds them at a point in the middle.

Ill put up some pics in the afternoon.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote:Actually the diagram he references is correct for a 89 (and possibly 90) KDX 200. They did not have a voltage regulator in the circuit.
Just curious, whats the vr for then?

Kawi fiche shows the 89 as having a vr :?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS