HJC helmets

Got questions? We got answers....
staxbrix

HJC helmets

Post by staxbrix »

I was looking for a helmet are Afx, Hjc, any good?
looking for something cheap and safe im not a wreckless rider.
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

HJC is a huge manufacturer and makes many helmets for other companies like Thor and Fox. They have a line that has Kevlar (AC-X2). I'm not sure if the new ones, X3 have it though.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

"not a wreckless rider"

You don't have to be to need a good helmet. If you're 20mph about to slam head on into a tree, what kinda helmet do you want then?

I have a KBC helmet so I might be a bit of a hypocrite though...
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Good Helmet

Post by skythrasher »

Don't skimp on the helmet, it is you head after all. Just remember that the price goes up a great deal to get the latest graphics and models. I have been able to buy high end helmets on ebay brand new and save 50-80% off the price. My wife picked me up a Troy Lee Doug Henry helmet in June brand new with 2 visors and a really nice helmet bag for $189. I by good quality riding gear I just wait and buy it on clearance. Bought some 2005 Thor AC pants from dennis kirk for $12. Sometimes there are some steals in their outlet store. You won't buy cheap oil to protect the engine, why would you buy a cheap helmet to protect your head. This doesn't mean you have to buy the most expensive but be prepared to spend $150-$200. Look around for last years model. I've heard good stuff about the One Ind. lids and lasts years helmets are on sale all over the place for about $100.
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

I have had a few HJC hemlets in the past and think they are a good bargain and good quality.

I agree with everyone - doot go cheap on boots and helmets. As my income has increased, I have got better helmets. Currently use Fox V3 helmet. Retails for 375 but you can get on clearance right now thru motorcyclesupersore for 159.

In addition to getting a good quality helmet, the other key is getting one that really fits. On impact, you dont want the helmet to move or come off. Most use a helmet that is too loose - I was guitly of that when I first started riding. Also, always use the chin strap. I am always amazed seeing younger kids riding without chin strap on. Good luck,
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

KBC and Bell are the other big manufacturers. The DOT and Snell standards test for single occurrence impacts at different locations on the helmet. There is a flat surface impact like hitting the concrete and a blunt impact like a ball peen hammer. There might even be a couple others. I have not heard of a multiple impact test criteria or standard like when a street rider skids on his head on the freeway in West Virginia doin 75, impacts a ball peen hammer sticking out of a manhole, then smashes into a Kenworth wheel. The better helmets will stand up to this though, it is just not published because it is too difficult to standardize the test. Fit is a HUGE issue with helmet safety. Remember the picture of the chick with the helmet on backwards? Wearing an expensive helmet made for a melon shaped head when yer head is shaped like a football is not a good thing. I have seen space between peoples cheeks and the helmet. Taint good.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
staxbrix

Post by staxbrix »

Was just stating im not the dare devil type or speed freek.

I was looking in the Dennis Kirk Clearance section thats where I seen the helmets around 40 bucks.

I seen the Bell at wallmart for $85. The local stealership has the Hjc/Afx for $80.

No need for graphics.

I was just making sure they werent some crap brand.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

HJC isn't a crap brand, they make nice stuff.

My head is worth a Arai.
I don't own an Arai, but my head is worth it anyways..
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:HJC isn't a crap brand, they make nice stuff.

My head is worth a Arai.
I don't own an Arai, but my head is worth it anyways..
Well MAYBE at one time IT WAS!! :grin: Before the fighting and drinking and countless get offs where you went bouncing along the trail behind CC. Baseball cap or maybe my old cowboy hat may be all either you or I need to protect the few remaining functioning cells behind the eyes. :supz:

These young guys likely still deserve the best - But I and two of my four boys use HJC helmets and I agree with you - not crap and appears to be good quality for the price - but not an Arai.

P.S. I just felt like dealing out a little $hit - don't know why :partyman:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I have that effect on people.

I don't know why.

:lol:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Dewey
Supporting Member

Post by Dewey »

I recently bought a nice Simpson off of ebay $29.95 + shipping total of $44.00. New in box last years model. Look great and he has them in Red, Blue, or Green. I'm not advertising for the dude just trying to help a fellow rider. PM me if you want the seller.
Dewey
02 -KDX220
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

My head aint worth an Arai but I wear one anyway

If you donut want to spend $500 on a helmet, donut ever try one on! (DAMHIK) :twisted:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

Arai or Shoei maybe even Shark I heard some good things about them also.

HLC and KBC are large manufactures, yes but there quality does not look good to me in comparison to Arai or Shoei. They OEM many of the helmets out there.
Those plastic helmets don't compare to a better quality helmet as mentioned above.
I am not sure why people will spend $400 on a pair of boots but $80 on a helmet. That logic never ceases to amaze me.

Buy a good helmet and don't waste your money on those low cost helmets.

Your head is worth more than $80.
Oh I bought my Arai for $365 delivered so you can cut a deal on them.
OK flame away! :butthead: :butthead: :butthead:
staxbrix

Post by staxbrix »

what about answer? I seen a asnwer comet comp for cheap 06 model. Its snell and dot.

I see alot off cheap stuff on ebay but I worry if there realy new.
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
staxbrix wrote:what about answer? I seen a asnwer comet comp for cheap 06 model. Its snell and dot.

I see alot off cheap stuff on ebay but I worry if there realy new.
The answer is buy cheap get cheap.....get a quality lid you head will love you for it. :mrgreen:
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I have an M2R right now, I don't have any complaints with it.

I am going with an EVS Takt the next time though, I've been looking forward to a nice large order of EVS stuff here soon.

My buddy has a Scorpion and those things are awesome. Cheap and great fit and finish.

You might want to check this out, it's kind of interesting...
http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/r ... ID=2007080
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

I didn't think you could mail order Arai helmets??
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
wanaride wrote:I didn't think you could mail order Arai helmets??
You can now...been that way for about a year. Before most of the guys that handled Arai would do it for you, they just kept it very quiet. Arai changed there policy to allow mail/internet orders.