Trade my KDX220 for a 300exc? Talk me out of it...

Got questions? We got answers....
UFS207

Trade my KDX220 for a 300exc? Talk me out of it...

Post by UFS207 »

I *MIGHT* have the opportunity to trade my '00 KDX220R for an '02 KTM 300exc plus cash. The owner of the KTM seems to like my KDX better than his own bike (he's a beginner) and I know I LOVE his bike. I spent 2 hrs on the 300 and was very, very impressed. Awesome on the singletrack. I jokingly suggested the trade and it seems he is seriously considering it.

I love my KDX but this deal might be too good to pass up. I am thinking my bike plus $500 cash would be a good deal both ways. His bike needs a new pipe (very dented from previous owner), new forks seals, the headlight doesn't work and will need new tires in the near future. My bike is ready to go with no problems plus I have a set of 46mm KYB USD's up front and full FMF exhaust (rev pipe). Even has new tires and chain/sprockets.

So, what do you think? Would I be making a mistake? Bad deal? Bad deal for him? (he paid $2K for the bike). Either way I was getting ready to put some money in the rearshock on the KDX (revalve by WER suspension) and was considering the RB mods. This definitely has those mods on hold. I am very torn. Please talk me out of it, I have alot of time and money in my KDX.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

He would be getting the better deal I think. :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Just do it. Otherwise you will be wondering what all the hub-bub is about. Besides, you can most likely sell it later and get another KDX. Best bet is to keep your KDX and get this bike, but I can understand the difficulties in doing that.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah... I would say just buy his and keep the KDX too... tht would definately make him want a KDX bad since you want to keep yours! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
GS

Post by GS »

I have several hours on a nice '01 Kosta-Too-Much 300EXC.

Thoughts:
Nice power, great brakes, hydro clutch. FELT lower to me. FEELING of quality. Better hope it doesn't need anything expensive, because it REALLY adds up and not all that many people trade parts like they do with the KDX.

Headshake: Was encountered several times on the one I rode....until a Scotts damp was installed.

Power delivery was dramatically improved with the addition of a jetting kit.

Think it's fast? Well it would only run right alongside a '03 KX125(stock), ....rolling start to pretty much topped out. However, to be fair, the KX was carrying a lighter rider (40 #).

If you were to make that trade, along with an extra $500, I'd say that that EXC better be in very good condition, cause around here there wouldn't be that much of difference
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Go for it - I bleed orange but sometimes I bleed a little green. :oops: :roll: :twisted:

Like Skipro said - you'll be questioning yourself for a longtime if you don't. Parts can be spendy on the KTMs but the bikes hold up real well and are durable IMO.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Get what you feel better on. I personally don't like the 300 KaTooms. They vibrate like mad, I'm not a fan of the power of the motor (not enough snap) and a few other things. 'Course this has changed in 08 and they are MUCH nicer. I can't compare the 02 300 (because I've never ridden one! :mrgreen: ), so I'm kind of biased to the 06 and 08 I rode. People swear by them though.

I say trade bikes on a few more rides, make sure you really like it and then go for it.
UFS207

Post by UFS207 »

Well, all's I know is that I was measurably faster on the 300 on our short 3/4 mile single-track loop (2:56 best on the 220, 2:53 on the 300) and that was after riding the bike for a total of 45 minutes. I posted a video of the loop a couple months back in the General Chatter forum. I couldn't touch my KDX's best time on a '98 RMX250 or my main riding bud's highly modded XR400 with a 440 kit, pumper carb and 43mm KYB USD's. First try on the 300 and I beat it without even trying. I attributed it mainly due to the how well the bike tracked/handled. I am a very average rider but for some reason the KTM seemed to put up with my inconsistencies much better, can't really explain it.

Also: I kinda made his bike sound like a POS but other than the problems listed above it is a solid and clean bike. I doubt he's got more than 20 hrs on the thing since he bought it early this year. I have yet to find even a 2000 300exc for under $2500 using cycletrader and the classified section on KTMtalk.com. I figure my 220 is worth at least $1500 so I figured $1500 bike plus $500 would at least have him breaking even for what he paid.

It isn't a done deal by any means, just a possibility. I just wanted a little food for thought should he decide that he wants to make the trade. Thanks for the replies.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Are you sure you have decent tires on your bike? It sounds like the difference is in something as simple as tire selection/compatability for the bike. Also, once you get the KDX modded up, it will be a different beast than what it is now. Imagine swapping with your buddy, he mods up the KDX and the lap times reverse and the KDX is quicker.

Try running a Dunlop 756 on the rear.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Whatever you do... I hope it is the right move. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

GS

Post by GS »

Seconding what Ski said.

Confidence in the machine is pretty important, for me.

In the end, though, it's best to ride whatever feels best to you, regardless of a few $ either way. I also have the opportunity to buy that '01 300EXC I rode at a reasonable price (from my brother)...but haven't, as yet. And, I do like the bike. Road-legal, too.

Decisions......decisions..... :neutral:
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I can say this if your bike is stock engine and the suspension is not revalved then yes you will be faster for a little while on the KTM and it will feel like a better bike.

I bought a 2002 300exc for 2000, in good shape, and have ridden an 2006 300 xc.

MY KDX220R is a 2000 with 98 KX forks Applied triple clamps,KDX rear shock, suspension was re valved by Pro Action at KTM dealer. WER damper,
CRhigh mini bars, Magura hydraulic clutch, clark tank,gutts racing tall seat, fastway pegs, moose solid rotors, stainless steal braided brake lines, 10oz flywheel weight, FMF rev pipe, Vforce 3 reeds, the engine was rebuilt by FRP racing with a plated cylinder, porting, head milled, carb bored from 33-36 mm. In MAY of 2005!!! MY bike i 242lb on cert scales with 1/2 tank and oil.

I ride 20-60 miles of tight single track once a week.

Comparing the three bikes

The 06 300xc was nice power was much the same as my KDX a little smoother and little more down low the bike instilled speed and confidence in the open double track, and got heavy,tall and a lot of work in the tight twisty.

The 02 300exc power was abrasive, bike vibrated and became a hand full of are we there yet on a long ride.

I liked the 02 so much I sold it with in a month

I liked the 06 300xc so much I modeled the power characteristics to my KDX.

I have done a Lot of the work to my bike because I liked the way one thing or the other worked on another bike I rode.

The difference is I have been riding my bike sense July of 2005 with no power loss or down time, I will rebuild the top end when I start my Hybrid.

I need to find a bike to ride while building the Hybrid, maybe KTM they are easy to resale every body thinks they want or need one.

The KDX is like a classic car every body seems to have had one and they always get respected on the trails, especially fast ones.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:Just do it. Otherwise you will be wondering what all the hub-bub is about. Besides, you can most likely sell it later and get another KDX. Best bet is to keep your KDX and get this bike, but I can understand the difficulties in doing that.
Let's hope he doesn't want to enter a race, he'll end up on the sideline, right SKI :mrgreen:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

If by respect you mean it pisses the hell out of KTM owners when you are dogging their ass and wanting to pass them, then I agree!!
Jerry