FRP kick start lever verses OEM KX 125 lever

Got questions? We got answers....
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

FRP kick start lever verses OEM KX 125 lever

Post by IdahoCharley »

For those who have installed a shorter FRP kick start lever on your KDXs (95-06) are you happy with it? Is there any problems with it? e.g. hits tank, bends, wears out at the pivot???

Anyone install the older OEM KX125 kick lever on their KDX (95-06)which was the equivenlent mod prior to FRPs lever? Any problems with it???

Thinking about getting one for the boy as part of X-Mas present.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Rod Smith
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rod Smith »

I have used one for years as have both of my sons with no problems. I think they are better on knuckle wear just because they are shorter. They really come in handy in tight places and in muddy areas as your boot tends to slip off less. Well worth the money in my opinion.
2000 KDX 220
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

this one is off a 89 KX125.

I also have one on my 2002 220. I love it.
Last edited by TopperHarley on 05:51 pm Nov 15 2007, edited 1 time in total.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I've had the FRP lever for a couple of years with no problem. I had to "clearence" it a little or it would have put a hole in the engine case.
I've also got one on the hybrid. No problem there.

I'm not sure about the KX125 lever. I had a '96 KX125 and that lever would not have fit the KDX, although it will fit an '04 kx100, if any one cares.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The KX125 lever works fine but it's a chore to get the knuckle swapped. It functions perfect.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

There's one in every crowd....I didn't not have no problems with mine!

I have an FRP kicker. Put it on with a new knuckle a few years back.

I did do some grinding on it to clear the cases. There was an advisory included with the piece, 'CHECK THIS OR YOU'RE BUSTED!' OK..I made that part up..but there was a cautionary note regarding the install of the kicker.

Also the top (at rest) part had to be ground to clear the frame and the pipe. With a -35 pipe, there won't be an issue on the pipe side. I use a -30 (bigger).

The biggest problem with it? It eats boots! The arc is shortened to the extent your foot doesn't go under the footpeg anymore. Your boot sole runs smack into the teeth of the peg. I've gone through several soles on my Tech 8s. Replacing them isn't cheep. I try to angle my foot away from the peg, kick with my heel, kick with my toes..and that saves some wear and tear. There are still plenty of 'jump on, kick and go' starts that get my foot jammed onto the peg teeth.

The kicker would NOT fit on a new knuckle with new o-rings. Just not enough room. Tried heating the lever, freezing the knuckle..it wasn't going to fit. Ended up 'trimming' the o-rings with an exacto. Obviously the function of an o-ring doesn't coincide with cutting it up with a blade.

Mine has gotten considerably wobbly over the years I've had it. I do lubricate it after every ride.

The OEM detent spring is junk. It has the spring of peanut butter. Go to your local hardware store and buy something there that will work.

One thing it hasn't done...and doesn't look like it ever WILL do? Bend!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

CC/SkiPro/Karl P/TopperHarley/RodSmith - Thanks for all the information guys - appreciate it!!
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
GS

Post by GS »

My stocker didn't bend, but it did wear at the contact point of the lever and knuckle such that is would swing out past 90 degrees for the kick. Then my foot would slip off, all to a flurry of expletives. Compromised the quality of the kick, too. And I' learned a long time ago that one good kick is worth at least 150 'fluffy' efforts, 'specially with a 1984 XL600 :sad:

Anyway, welded a bit here and there followed by a bit of die-grinding back to shape...we'll see how that stands up. Anyway, looks promising!

I've used kickers that slam your forefoot onto the peg and I truly HATE that impact.....vibrates me, right up to where my soul hides.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Gotta do a little welding on mine this winter too.... the stop in just a suggestion at this point. :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

RE: 'I've used kickers that slam your forefoot onto the peg and I truly HATE that impact.....vibrates me, right up to where my soul hides.'

Why does it stop at your butt? :hmm:

Consider the source

GS

Post by GS »

That'd be where my brain, not soul......resides

See, CC:
:butthead:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I can relate!

Me, too!!

Consider the source