Lighting

Got questions? We got answers....
revingtosh

Lighting

Post by revingtosh »

Hi,

Ive got an 87 KDX200 which i am in the process of making road legal again.

I have spoken to my local M.O.T. shop in the UK and they say that the bike MUST have a brake light in order to pass the MOT.

Would anyone know if this bike had brake lights fitted from new?? If so, are they activated from the front or rear brake of both?

I have checked the Clymer manual, but cannot find any evidence of brake lights. Only tail lights.

Thanks in advance

Mike O'Connor
urnuts

Brake lights

Post by urnuts »

Just had mine done yesterday- '06 KDX.
The dealer replaced the socket in the rear light to accept a 2 filament bulb, or they put in the LED one, I can't remember.
But, what I DO remember is that they explained the deal to me. The KDX does not really put out enough volts to run the brake light AND the headlight.
My options were a pretty dim tail light with a functioning brake light (which would essentially now be as bright as the tail light WAS), or the normal brightness of the tail light and a brighter brake light BUT the headlight would cut off when the brake light came on.
The only options were to start getting into coils and rewinding stators and such- not something I want to get into.
My goal is simply to get a plate so I can jump on the road and go from trail to trail- not really looking to use the bike "on the road".
Assuming all my info is correct, it really depends on the use of the bike.
If you plan to use it on the road to any degree, I'd spring for whatever you need to get some legitimate lighting- my tailight is now really dim. Fine for me, but not for you with one of those Stobart lorries crawling up your rear fender!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

You can buy a pressure switch which is operated off the rear brake. You install the switch in the line as it exits the rear master cylinder - the one that was on my old bike came with a longer banjo bolt and a couple of copper washers. (bolts in-line with the rear hose going to the rear caliper)

When you active the rear brake the switch closes and actives the rear brake light. (If you go to get it licensed and bring up the fact that the front brake does not cause the light to come on - the person reviewing your street mods may well require one on the front also. If you do not mention the front brake and just operate the foot brake you'll likely be ok. Same goes with tires - seems like not much attention is paid to the tires and whether or not they are DOT rated but if YOU bring it up - you can be assured DOT tires will be required. At least that the way it seems to work in the USA) :partyman:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Not if it's a US bike...but, being in the UK, it very likely is not a US bike.

Keep that in mind regarding most anything KDX. Overseas models differ in a number of ways..sometimes in ways not even documented in the corresponding reference manuals.

What does your odo/dash look like? Is your bike oil-injected or does it run premix? Does it have a battery?

Any answer you get that does not recognize the differences between US/other is likely going to be incorrect.

Hopefully, someone with an overseas model will chime in and give you the straight scoop.

The US model is not street legal. It's a recreational vehicle..has a sticker on it (newer bikes) that says, 'For off-road use only.' Yes, some states will license them as 'street legal' if they have the required equipment. Some states (Oregon for example..and that a new development) won't license an off-road vehicle regardless of it having the required equipment or not.

The 'dimmer-normal' idea is common. Use an 1157 (single element) bulb with a resistor in series with the return wire (gnd) of the 'taillight'. Wire a brake switch to BYPASS that resistor..that makes the light brighten up when you hit the brake.

If someone is going to be checking for a required minimum lumen output, that may not work.

The KDX (US anyway) is quite limited on power light-wise....about 45 watts...and that is not enough to do a good job on a street-legal setup.

You can get it done..right. It will require a fairly good sum of bucks to do that. Check BajaDesigns or RickyStator.

Good luck!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Not if it's a US bike...but, being in the UK, it very likely is not a US bike.

Keep that in mind regarding most anything KDX. Overseas models differ in a number of ways..sometimes in ways not even documented in the corresponding reference manuals.

What does your odo/dash look like? Is your bike oil-injected or does it run premix? Does it have a battery?

Any answer you get that does not recognize the differences between US/other is likely going to be incorrect.
CC - you are correct!! I did not even think about the differences that may be on a non-USA bike. :oops:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Where'd you come from?

You slipped in whilst I was lollygagging..I didn't see your post til just now.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
tony_d123

Post by tony_d123 »

Just sorted my UK 2003 220 which had the usual dim brake light problem.

If yours has direct lighting (no battery) like mine, the simplest way to fix it is to replace the standard tail bulbholder, which has a single filament, for a normal tail/brake double filament type. I butchered an old light fitting to get the bulbholder. It is dead easy to fit as it is just held in with a couple of self-tapping screws.

Next go to Halfords or eBay and get a tail/brake LED bulb. They draw almost no power and the result is nice bright tail light and an even brighter brake light.