If i leave the gas on, the bike drips when on side stand...

Got questions? We got answers....
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Inda spelled it wrong. It's burnish not burMish.

The needle seat sometimes forms a groove from the float needle. To get rid of the groove, you burnish it. Now, mind you, you need to be delicate!!! Use a QTip and some brass polish I think. Others may do it different. Once the seat is smooth, the float needle will seat and the leak may stop.

However, I believe your problem is due to the float adjustment. Personally, I just take the tang and keep tweaking it so the float height is less each time. Sooner or later, it will quit peeing when leaned over on the kickstand. This float height will affect jetting a bit; the fuel must overcome more gravity to get up the jet than a fuller fuel bowl carb would.

Make sense? No? Maybe someone else can explain it better.

Here's Carvr's method, but be careful!!

The Wet-N-Dry Q-Tip Method:

Cut a strip of wet-n-dry sandpaper..the black stuff...a bit less wide than the swab itself. Loop it over the top of the swab, wet with something (alcohol will do..as in 99% isopropyl, not 70% rubbing), insert swab into seat, rotate against seat with light pressure.

The alternating abrasive/swab surfaces burnish and wipe clean the seat.

Start with a piece of 400, finish with 600. Change the strip orientation to the swab to keep fresh grit applied to the seat.

Don't get carried away with it.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

i took the carb apart yet again and flipped the little hanger on top of the float needle, no more peeing. I'll keep you updated if it holds up.
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Dewey wrote:We just throw the kickstand away and prop it on a tree, truck, trailer, house, etc... but I'm in TN, lotsa trees where we ride. And yes sometimes they just attack you for no reason :-)

I thought kickstands were for street bikes, guess I learn something everyday!
Knew a guy from Tennessee once, he had six fingers on each hand and six toes on each foot :rolleyes:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

>|<[url=http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 9741#49741]>QBB<[/url][quote="Dewey"]Be sure you have your carb oriented right. There is a notch in the rubber boot that goes to your reed housing. Loosen the clamps some and see if the carb will rotate to set a little more straight up. I know from experience they can be out a few degrees and it will pee on ya. Be sure your notch is lined up with the tab on the carb. I know this sounds to elementary to fix anything, but my boot was worn enough I could move it a few degrees and it took care of the problem.[/quote]

This fixed the drip last year on my 06. :mrgreen:
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
06 Polaris 300 Hawkeye - Wife's