Quick tire repair on the trail??

Got questions? We got answers....
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Quick tire repair on the trail??

Post by wanaride »

If your tire goes flat on the trail, what do you do to get your bike back to the truck? Is there a simple repair you can perform to make the bike rideable? Maybe a CO2 cartridge with Slime in it?

This hasn't happened to me yet, but since I am the "support person" when my kids trail ride, I need to be ready when this happens.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I ride it back.... Hell I don't even notice flats....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Depends where you are and the terrain. I'd much rather carry a few tire spoons, couple patches and some C02 and fix the tire in a few minutes. That way I can continue riding and not worry about destroying my purrdy Excell rims. :wink:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Flat rear, ride it back.

Flat front, go nice and easy while riding it back.
Cturbo

Post by Cturbo »

Slime and Extra HD tubes will make flats very rare.
1992 KDX 200
2004 KLX 110
2006 SMR 510
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

>|<>QBB<
Cturbo wrote:Slime and Extra HD tubes will make flats very rare.
a heavy duty tube + slime up front can make for a heavy, clumsy,unbalanced and unsure front end. Probly wouldn't be to noticeable in back.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:I ride it back.... Hell I don't even notice flats....
Same here. :wink:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

>|<>QBB<
quailchaser wrote:>|<>QBB<
If I have my tire pressure low for soft stuff and I end up getting into some rocky, rooty, stumpy, technical stuff, I can tell that I need a lb or more added because I can hear and feel the tire bottoming against the the rim. I guess if i were just rolling a dirt road or grassy field with few bumps or obstacles, I might not notice a reduction/ loss of air pressure. Quality tires have less sidewall flex when low or flat. You guys must be rubber rich or somthin.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
2005 KDX220 mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

With the frontend staying light all the time and the bobbing and weaving... who has time to think about tires... I check 'em before I go out. If one is flat when I get back... I fill it with air... if it won't hold air... I swap the entire rim and all out. I will fix it when I get back home. :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

must be the KX forks are that much better than conventional KDX forks.
you can run a bare rim on the KX forks and get a better ride than you would with stock forks, tire and tube. :lol:
2005 KDX220 mine
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
TopperHarley wrote:>|<>QBB<
quailchaser wrote:>|<>QBB<
If I have my tire pressure low for soft stuff and I end up getting into some rocky, rooty, stumpy, technical stuff, I can tell that I need a lb or more added because I can hear and feel the tire bottoming against the the rim. I guess if i were just rolling a dirt road or grassy field with few bumps or obstacles, I might not notice a reduction/ loss of air pressure. Quality tires have less sidewall flex when low or flat. You guys must be rubber rich or somthin.
I'll have to say that I've rarely had a flat. My first flat in almost 2 years happened two weeks ago. I had just got my forks back from the suspension shop. I noticed about 3 miles in that the front felt strange in the sand. In a turn it would "roll over" and then stick. Not bad enough to be scary. Also noticed that I felt the rocks through the rim a few times. This is all ST in basically rocks and sand. After we finished, we'd done a total of 40 miles. I was a tad dissapointed in how the forks felt. Loaded the bike on the rack and noticed the front was flat. Hmmmm. Probably why it felt a bit strange for the last 37 miles. :shock: Also probably why I was not to happy with the suspension. :roll: Riding on the flat was way more fun than sitting on the side of the trail trying to repair one. :supz:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC