Clutch cable length issue

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXer
Supporting Member

Clutch cable length issue

Post by KDXer »

Has anyone (KX equipt guys included) had problems with the clutch cable being to short?

I had to cut my bars down to 29 inches so the cable didn't bind when the bars were turned fully to the left. I have checked the routing of the cable and it's fine.

When I install the KX front end am I going to have less cable play?

Is there a longer cable available?

I need to have the clutch perch mounted about an inch or so away from the grip so the cable doesn't reach it's limit. Any ideas guys ???

Thanks Trev

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

How high are your bars? Are they mounted higher than standard? Have you checked with an aftermarket company such as Motion Pro for a longer cable? Maybe their standard cable is longer, even if by accident.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Not sure exact height but I had bar risers and the Jimmy Button bend renthals.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Do you think the bar risers did it?

Any chance you may have routed the cable improperly?
KDXer
Supporting Member

Re: Clutch cable length issue

Post by KDXer »

KAY DEE EXER wrote: I have checked the routing of the cable and it's fine.
That was the first thing I checked. Cheers.

It must be the risers.

How much play have you guys got on your H model?

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

DOH! My bad. Sorry about that.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

No probs thanks for your input.

KDXer
Supporting Member

Re: Clutch cable length issue

Post by KDXer »

KAY DEE EXER wrote:How much play have you guys got on your H model?
How much spare cable when the bars are turned fully to the left ??
IE. Does it wrap tight around the steering neck?
Thanks

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Enough so it doesn't bind. I have never heard of anyone having this issue without it being routed incorrectly. Are you absolutely sure it's routed right? :?

It's not loose and there is some paint rubbed off my frame from it so it may be your risers causing it. Maybe reroute it to the clutch side of the frame might solve the problem. Angle might be an issue there... don't know.

Even with the KX front end... no issues.
Last edited by Indawoods on 09:55 am Mar 20 2005, edited 2 times in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

It is routed as the manual states. I will go down tomorrow and write down its route and post it here to be 100% sure. Cheers

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

No longer having a clutch cable, I have to go by memory. Isn't there a middle adjustment on the clutch cable about 6 inches out from the pull lever? Would that adjustment make any difference?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Speaking of no cable, I sent 4 emaisl to Garry about sending me a modified clutch (the whole deal) and never heard back (it was his idea). I was thinking FRP could supply a second hand clutch and Garry could modify it but he's never replied.

I'll look for the adjuster you speak of. Thanks.

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

One for sale on ebay Kay Dee Exer. I'm bidding on it. If I win it, do you want it? I can send it off to Garry for you, then he can ship it straight to you. 'Course I gotta win it first, so don't go bidding against me now!

Remember I had trouble with one of your e-mail addresses so maybe Garry is having some trouble too. Try contacting him with your tinytrev / hotmail address. That one always worked for me.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

You are seriously WAY to kind Ski. That would be absolutely ideal although I'm sure YOU were bidding on it for a reason (ie. to keep for yourself) and I don't want to push the friendship anymore than I already have. The call is totally yours Ski if you win it and want to keep it please do as I'm sure one will come up eventually somehow so don't feel obliged at all.
I sent it from both addresses thanks.

Now off to the shed to find the adjuster you mention. BRB :supz:

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Kay Dee... I checked my cable and there is at least 3 inches of extra play when turned full left and even more the other way. It's pretty much a straight shot from the clutch to the perch and just bending around the head stock... nothing and I mean nothing is in the way. Is this the way yours is routed?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I didn't bid high, only $35 I think. I really don't need it, I just figured that if it was going to go cheap, then I might as well pick it up, just in case. Snipe the bid on me right near the close of the auction for $36 and it's yours. Then have the seller drop ship to Garry for him to modify. If Garry can't mail it to you, let me know.

Good luck getting that cable set up right in the meantime!
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Never mind then.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

If Trev doesn't go for the clutch, and anyone else is interested, jump on it. Like I said, I bid about $35 and I'm not going higher because it is just something to have and I don't really need it.
Jerry

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I'm very interested but don't want to cut in front of anyone that got in first.

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Does anyone know what Garry (EFM) services cost as I've deleted his email with the details. Thanks