Swingarm bearings

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Swingarm bearings

Post by Indawoods »

Guys, better check your swingarm bearings before this season. Mine were dry but in good shape. If I would have rode this season without greasing them... they woulda been toast by fall.
Torque on the pivot bolt is 65 ft. lbs... takes a little muscle! :razz:

Everything on the KDX is so easy to do and takes no time to complete that I doubt I will ever take it to a mechanic... except maybe the bottom end and then it will go to Eric Gorr. The main obstacle is tools for me. Jason is doing my shock because I lack the proper tools and he has them. This summer, I will have all the tools... period! :twisted:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Good job on the bearings.

I HATE taking my bike to a dealer for service. Ever since the service manager at the dealer I got the 1987 KDX200 from new, gave me bum advice. This was in 1987. It was smoking a little, and I asked him about the jetting. He said to just use less oil in the gas. That got the "I'll fix it myself" ball rolling.

By the way, you can NEVER have all the tools you will need on a certain job. It is an unwritten rule somewhere. I have spent more on tools than I have on bikes. Well, it seems like it at least. :lol:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I agree, you can never have enough tools. I recently bought one of those roll around tool boxes with all the drawers. After I gathered up all my tools scattered around, I could have filled that thing 3 times over! (Lots of duplicate tools that had been hiding were found.) Anyway, like Jason says, there's always one more tool to get. My latest is a portable sand blaster. I am rebuilding a trailer to pull behind my touring bike and this thing is the greatest for removing old paint and rust.

Note: Tape off cuffs and collar, wear a hat and some old riding goggles. You will be picking sand out of your ears and other "delicate" places for a month after using one.

Other great tools I've had over the years and hung onto: Impact driver, rubber mallot, analog voltmeter.
Newest tool craze for me: Anything air operated. Those rusted nuts on my motorcyclee trailer I'm rebuilding came off without breaking a sweat and my finishing nail gun has made installing trim and molding during my remodeling projects a breeze. I also used the air for nailing on a new roof. BAM, BAM, BAM!!!!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

grease every six months and german tourgue everything inda oh and use bel ray waterprof grease
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I bought a rolling tool chest last month. It's the best thing I have bought in a long time. I am still finding tools that were spread out and need to go in it.

Air is good! I have mostly used mone to blow dust and dry off things, though. :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have 4 tool boxes not counting my 3 level Craftsman roll around. Tools... yeah.. I got tools. Most were for cars.... lacking a little on the bike specific tools. I have all the standard metric wrenches and sockets, adaptors, torque wrenches and I also have a 5 horse air compressor with quite an assortment of air tools.

It's just a matter of getting the tools from the 4 tool boxes sorted and put into my roll around in some kinda logical order. I have moved 3 times in the last year so getting organized is a daily thing based on importance. I am finally in the garage alot and organize a little each time I'm out there.... sorting the tools though will require a day to itself. I am getting the bike done first, then on some lazy rainy day I can go out and WD my tools and wipe them down as I transfer them to my roll around.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

So what "proper tools" don't you have for doing the shock?

I did mine a couple years ago, did not seem to need any special tools though, other than taking it to a shop to have it recharged with nitrogen
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Bullet tool as to not damage the sealhead, Spring comressor as to save a ton of time, spanner wrenches to take the rings loose (threads are boogered) and the drift and hammer didn't work... only made it worse. Those proper tools.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

bullet tool?

Spring compressor?

Spanner wrenches are handy, but ussually not needed for many turns, since you can turn em by hand on nonboogered threads :mrgreen:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS