Easier Clutch?

Got questions? We got answers....
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

make sure you're all lubed up, makes things easier, less pain, more satisfaction.
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

>|<>QBB<
IdahoCharley wrote:Even though my KTM has a hydraulic clutch I really don't see any real advantages with it - yes there is no on the fly cable adjustments while riding - but other than that there is more maintenance. I change my hydraulic clutch fluid twice a season which takes 10-15 minutes if everything goes well and 30-45 minutes if there is an air pocket somewhere. Periodically the slave cylinder o-ring needs to be replaced. I do worry a little more about crashes pulling the clutch line loose or breaking the master cylinder.

With a cable operated clutch I would hook up the cable luber and flush the cable with silicone maybe twice a season. (3-5 minutes) A clutch lever with a large on the fly cable adjuster was just second nature to me on my previous KTM. The KDX could certainly have a on-the-fly cable adjuster added if you find yourself needing to adjust cable slack repetitively on trail rides. Cables are also cheap to replace and check the wear of - while the opposite is true for the hydraulic system.

The hydraulic clutch pics up on the reliability traits of the KDX when mounted on a KDX.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

How is that..... I have never had a clutch related failure on any KDX I have owned. :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

>|<>QBB<
IdahoCharley wrote:Even though my KTM has a hydraulic clutch I really don't see any real advantages with it - yes there is no on the fly cable adjustments while riding - but other than that there is more maintenance. I change my hydraulic clutch fluid twice a season which takes 10-15 minutes if everything goes well and 30-45 minutes if there is an air pocket somewhere. Periodically the slave cylinder o-ring needs to be replaced. I do worry a little more about crashes pulling the clutch line loose or breaking the master cylinder.

With a cable operated clutch I would hook up the cable luber and flush the cable with silicone maybe twice a season. (3-5 minutes) A clutch lever with a large on the fly cable adjuster was just second nature to me on my previous KTM. The KDX could certainly have a on-the-fly cable adjuster added if you find yourself needing to adjust cable slack repetitively on trail rides. Cables are also cheap to replace and check the wear of - while the opposite is true for the hydraulic system.
I was meaning that hydraulic clutch installed on a KDX , pics up the reliabilty traits of the the KDX, thus the hydraulic becomes as reliable as the KDX.(humor dry but there).
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ah.... I missed it of course! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

I have never had any reliability problems with any of mine. All the way back to 1981. Of course, I do spend alot of time detailing and maintaining them. PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE is a must. I'm sure that if I just let them cake over with dirt and neglected them, they would come down with some reliability issues. The drum breaks on the 81KDX175 became completely unreliable as soon as you went through some slop. But I imagine all drum brakes on bikes back then were similarly unreliable. Otherwise, no complaints about reliability.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own