Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Uh... you live there... :roll:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I used a Craftsman Strap Wrench when I last took mine apart

Not the easiest way but it werked :rolleyes:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'm here to tell ya that you don't NEED the impact driver if you follow the method I described. I did that because noisy air tools sometimes frighten sweet young things. Ha!!

But on the impact driver note, I did also say I have an electric one. They are much easier to use and work much better than any air one I've ever seen. Got one from Home Depot after borrowing a buddies he got from Sears. It's not a cheap tool at about $150 but I know I'll be using it regularly.

Stopping the motor with the tool carver described or even with a rope in the spark plug hole isn't going to do squat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Why? Because there is no connection between the inner basket which connects the tranny/rear wheel and the outer basket which connects the crank. Why? Because the clutch plates are missing.

Also, sooner or later you are going to want to reassemble the clutch and put that nut back on. Can't do that with an impact driver. You need a torque wrench set for 65lbs. Now you will need to stop the rotation of the transmission/rear drive. Now is when you can cram a rag into the chain/front sprocket to keep it from moving as you torque that nut down.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

I think you got us there skipro3. I was pretty far into a few bottles of wine at the time.
So if the chain were still in place, would blocking the tire not have the same result as a rag in the front sprocket???
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I use the rag in front sprocket method also.
I've also put a long punch through the chain at the front sprocket.
Watch you don't bend up that chain guard/case saver!
Front sprocket because if you put it in the rear you've got so much leverage it will break something. I also put the bike in third or fourth gear.

Cheater bar on the ratchet, off it comes.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

thank you Karl!!

Man! I thought I was the only one left with a brain!! Ha!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
GS

Post by GS »

Well, me too.

'Rattlers' rattle me...so, unless I really need 'em I use some combination of the other methods and a long bar.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I tried the rag / piece of wood on the counter sprocket...cracked a teeth :roll: (on the bike). The chain was worn out so it was time for a new one anyway.
What worked for me was a pretty long cheater bar and a piece of pipe IN the rear sprocket and resting on both side of the swing arm (made sure there was no spokes in the way) and a bit of oumpff.
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

I use my 3/8 and 1/2" drive phenumatic, electric and cordless imapcts to take just about everything apart. But rarely to reassemble. My shop would not be a shop without them.I guess thats why I do not know these fancy sprocket, case and spoke damaging tricks of the trade. :lol:

how big is a monkeys brain anyway? I have heard that they are using stick as a tool to get termites out of holes for a snack. Oops, sorry that was Chimps I beleive, not monkeys.
Last edited by TopperHarley on 07:37 pm Nov 08 2007, edited 1 time in total.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
2005 KDX220 mine
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Quote:

Skipro wrote:
I'm here to tell ya that you don't NEED the impact driver if you follow the method I described. I did that because noisy air tools sometimes frighten sweet young things. Ha!!

myksluv's reply
you just don't know me at all! :lol:
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

myksluv,

with stem cell research now being approved in the good old USofA. I don't think it will be long before cloning passes also. I'm quite sure it is going on under our noses as we speak.
I was wondering if we migh get your permission to use some of your KDXriderDNA so that we could have more available females that love the KDX as well as having the willingness to understand and participate in the weekend trailride excursion. Had I found that 20 years ago, i don't think I would be 41 and single. Kudos to ya

BTW, you never got back to me on the subject of single girlfriends that ride. Any available :mrgreen:
2005 KDX220 mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Uh... I'd be on that first Topper! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

Uh... I'd be on that first Topper!

Uh..yeah...I suppose you would...
can I get the next available line ticket? :roll:
2005 KDX220 mine
GS

Post by GS »

Topper wants seconds? :butthead:
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

>|<>QBB<
TopperHarley wrote:myksluv,

BTW, you never got back to me on the subject of single girlfriends that ride. Any available :mrgreen:
Sorry, Charlie. And if I did, I think Inda would have already made his mark cuz I would have to take care of family first. I JUST got into riding this past summer. Give me time.

As far as 41 and single.....what does age have to do with anything? And single? Lucky you! Us women are not all we are cracked up to be.....kinda like you guys.
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

Sorry, Charlie. And if I did, I think Inda would have already made his mark cuz I would have to take care of family first. I JUST got into riding this past summer. Give me time.

As far as 41 and single.....what does age have to do with anything? And single? Lucky you! Us women are not all we are cracked up to be.....kinda like you guys.

OK, no problem, Inda first. Hopefully you can round a few up for St Joe in 2008. :grin:
2005 KDX220 mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

WeeSki wrote:Because there is no connection between the inner basket which connects the tranny/rear wheel and the outer basket which connects the crank. Why? Because the clutch plates are missing.
:hmm:

So...stopping the crank from moving doesn't help.

So...the rotor/flywheel is obviously attached to something else? :roll:

The last time I attached the inner basket without putting the 'outer' basket on first, I couldn't get it to work at ALL :partyman:

WeeSki summore wrote:Also, sooner or later you are going to want to reassemble the clutch and put that nut back on. Can't do that with an impact driver. You need a torque wrench set for 65lbs.
..and to finally find out I haven't been riding for the past eight years. Hhhmmmm...seems like I have been.

Oh well...I've missed rather large points before. This one sure snuck up on me, though!! :cry:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I just attached my nut using an electric impact wrench. A stout fellow too!! Sears Craftsman's finest. It torqued out at 50lb according to my wrench. My KX250 manual calls for 72lb. And I needed to lock up the rear using a rag on the CS sprocket for the torque wrench. The inner basket will spin free of the outer basket. The inner basket is to the rear wheel and the outer basket to the crank. No plates when I tightened it so no amount of stopping the motor is going to matter tightening that nut. Maybe my KX is different but not that different.
Jerry

KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Guess I should let you all know that I used an AIR IMPACT to remove the nut. It's all off and I am enjoying the education. I have also removed my kickstarter assembly to inspect everything in there. After I am done with those two areas and get them all reassembled and know that my kicker works PROPERLY, I believe I was told I had to do something with the fork seals.

Inda also told me something else last night but I wasn't totally listening to him at the time. Something about the water something or other....love ya, Vince!

Yes! I am TOTALLY enjoying this! What better hobby could a woman want???!!! Knitting??? NO THANKS!!!! I'll take the grease any day!!!!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Yes! I am TOTALLY enjoying this! What better hobby could a woman want???!!! Knitting??? NO THANKS!!!! I'll take the grease any day!!!!
I think I'm in lov :oops:, oops not available, dang. Any sister, cousin, good lookin friends or anything sharing the same hobby? :mrgreen: