Any good substitutions for.....

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Any good substitutions for.....

Post by KDX Butterfly »

a flywheel holder?

You guys all know I'm new at this so be kind.

I absolutely cannot get the clutch hub nut off to get my clutch basket off short of having a FLYWHEEL HOLDER.

What can I do to get that sucker loose?
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

use an impact, put it in gear, or bring the piston to where it is on its way up but not all the way. you will need a little roomin the top of the cylinder for this. It is a technique I have used when doing valve springs on a v-8 to keep the valves from dropping into the cylinder. with the plug out, start feeding in a long section of nylon cord. you want to have the piston up past the exhaust and intake so the cord does not go that rout. The idea is to fill the cylinder enough so that the piston ccompresses it and stops the piston before it gets to the top of its travel. Make sure that you are going the right way when getting the piston into position by rotating the flywheel in the direction that the nut need ot thread off. I have not done it this way on a 2 stroke but I do not see why it wouldnt work.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Rattle gun!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

>|<>QBB<
TopperHarley wrote:use an impact, put it in gear, or bring the piston to where it is on its way up but not all the way. you will need a little roomin the top of the cylinder for this. It is a technique I have used when doing valve springs on a v-8 to keep the valves from dropping into the cylinder. with the plug out, start feeding in a long section of nylon cord. you want to have the piston up past the exhaust and intake so the cord does not go that rout. The idea is to fill the cylinder enough so that the piston ccompresses it and stops the piston before it gets to the top of its travel. Make sure that you are going the right way when getting the piston into position by rotating the flywheel in the direction that the nut need ot thread off. I have not done it this way on a 2 stroke but I do not see why it wouldnt work.
OH GOD!

Okay. Maybe next time Inda is over, I MIGHT be able to get him to help me with this considering it is pretty involved UNLESS someone else comes up with a way that is not so intimidating.
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

if you do not have an impact, just put it in gear , block or wedge the tire with a piece of wood between the swingarm and the knobbies, and you should be able to get it with a breaker bar or long handled ratchet. much easier if you have someone to hold the wood and or the bike.

HEE HEE..he said "hold the wood"

sorry if that sounded so intimidating...its really quite simple. Kind of like stuffing a sock in your trousers to impress the girls..not in the back. :roll:
Last edited by TopperHarley on 05:33 pm Nov 07 2007, edited 1 time in total.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
2005 KDX220 mine
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

Okay. Maybe next time Inda is over, I MIGHT be able to get him to help me with this considering it is pretty involved UNLESS someone else comes up with a way that is not so intimidating

So, Im thinkin that perhaps you are maybe of the opposite sex?? if im wrong please forgive me. Just with the butterfly and all....

so if im right..and Inda is hangin ovr at yer place....is this some sort of KDX200 love connection? :wink:

I do beleive the cat is out of the bag boys and girls. do you have any cute girlfriends that ride a KDX or would like to learn :mrgreen:
2005 KDX220 mine
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Pretty sure Inda is her brother in law..... Where you been topper? and when did you get 4 KDX's?
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

sorry man I been out of the loop for a while....got distracted by a woman.lol the KDX's have just been accumulating.
2005 KDX220 mine
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

>|<>QBB<
TopperHarley wrote:
Okay. Maybe next time Inda is over, I MIGHT be able to get him to help me with this considering it is pretty involved UNLESS someone else comes up with a way that is not so intimidating

So, Im thinkin that perhaps you are maybe of the opposite sex?? if im wrong please forgive me. Just with the butterfly and all....

so if im right..and Inda is hangin ovr at yer place....is this some sort of KDX200 love connection? :wink:

I do beleive the cat is out of the bag boys and girls. do you have any cute girlfriends that ride a KDX or would like to learn :mrgreen:

Inda is my brother in law! :partyman: and i would look really funny with a sock stuffed down my pants....front OR back!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Well, this proves it. The KDX is a woman's bike. :lol:
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

I am beginning to think you guys are more easily distracted than most women. How many still know what the original topic was?

:blink:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

O.K., I'm not reading all the replies, but just your question.
To remove the nut on the clutch basket first put the bike up on a stand. Put it in 5th gear. Put a rag up against the counter shaft sprocket and rotate the rear wheel (in the air because it's on a stand, remember?) so that the rag jams up the sprocket and chain. Take a 30mm socket and breaker bar to the nut and turn it counter clockwise to remove. If the nut is too tight for you, then smack the bar's handle with a rubber mallet a couple times to jar the nut loose.
If you have the tools, try using an impact driver. I don't recommend an air operated one. I have an electric impact driver. With it, I take my clutch off in seconds. Need photos? I have them in my gallery when I modded my clutch to an auto clutch.

Good Luck!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Also, keep close track of all the parts, especially the washers because they tend to stick to the basket due to the oil film. Here's a photo:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Thank you, Skipro! That made sense! And, it is not AS intimidating.

Getting closer! :wink:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

There are women riders out here that I'd bet money on leaving any NewYork yellow rider so far behind he would have to stop to let the air out of his tire just so he could say, 'I got a flat.'

The one I'm thinking of in particular..rides a KDX.

I'm sure you were being humorous. ...if you don't realize you're wrong..that's most of what's funny.

Inda's right. Use an impact. Jerry's wrong. HE doesn't like pneumatic 'cuz his compresser is a sorry excuse for the name of the tool. Sheesh..count the 'ticks' and the air's all gone.

...maybe he'll get a REAL compresser for Christmas....

With a real compresser and a decent gun, it comes off in a split second. No jamming, sticking, cramping, stretching..and no sprocket teeth broken off.

Oh...those two larger washers from the left in ski's pics are the SAME size. Just make sure you get BOTH of them out..know where BOTH of them are. The underneath one gets lost a lot. It either sticks to the basket (like ski said), then drops off when you're not paying attention, or..well...or nothing. Just that! :rolleyes:

Steahly makes a piston stopper that threads into the plug hole..keeps the piston from moving so you can just wrench on the thing. No wondering howcome you stuck 2' of cord in, but only pulled out 22"!! :shock:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Humorous? But of course! Why if I had more money for bikes, I'da kept my KDX and used it as my woods weapon.

Carvr, didn't know you were considered a "woman rider"! :mrgreen:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'm a woman rider too! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Gee, Inda. Do you think my hubby has a good impact driver? :wink:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Only you can answer that question.... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

No, I believe you do know the answer and his is air operated with a compressor, right? He is your brother and you know what tools he has in his garage better than I do. :grin: