Couple of top end questions

Got questions? We got answers....
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

ok after another hour of screwing around, i think i *might* have it. The main exhaust port when it opens and closes, there's not a huge difference right?

Like 10% of the opening gets closed.. or am i doing something wrong?
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

I beleive you may have it right. did you line the groves on the side shafts up with the marks on the primary side valves?
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

>|<>QBB<
TopperHarley wrote:I beleive you may have it right. did you line the groves on the side shafts up with the marks on the primary side valves?
Yeah i finally figured that out and finally was able to understand what they were talking about. I'm not a dumb guy, but this kind of stuff is not my forte'
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

cleoent,
I'm not a dumb guy, but this kind of stuff is not my forte'

hands on is the only way it will become your forte. I know some things can seem a bit intimidating and frustrating but were her to help. If you own a KDX, that, in itself, tells me that you are above average intelligence. Good so see yu diving into it. Just take your time and ask lots of questions.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
2005 KDX220 mine
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

ok fellas, i put in the new top end on the kdx220. (still waitin for exhaust valves on the 200).

Started up in one kick, i didn't ride it around because i've got my forks apart in anticipation of my springs coming...

Anyhoo, it was probably about 50 degrees out, and the bike idled fine but smoked the entire time it was on, even just at idle. This is normal, right? RIGHT?
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

depends on how much smoke and type of smoke. did you use a new head gasket and follow torque specs/sequence?
2005 KDX220 mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

With a new topend the rings are not seated yet.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

So Vince, you gonna give em the break in procedure I assume.
2005 KDX220 mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ride it like you stole it after it's warmed up good! :mrgreen:

Seems to work as good as any other method... trial by fire if you will....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

I agree. Just don't rev it too too high or lug it too low. Keeping lots of pressure on the rings is the key. Gets them to bite and seat before you loose/smooth down your cross hatch on your cylinder walls as well as the sharp edge on your rings. I think the old method of heat cycling and letting it cool, blipping throttle etc. is more for the steel bore honed cylinder of yesterday. I have heard some people say to use some old school pre-mix at old school ratios because the new stuff is too slick and wont allow for a good ring seat. But I have not had any problems using new lubricants. Still manage to get a good ring seat.

now that I think about it, I did use dino when i put the top end in the 05. Used the stuff that i drained out the 02 when I took ownership of it. Another 05 engine i put top end in was broken in with Amsoil. It is the engine I am vurrently runnung in my 02. Runs great. plenty of power everywhere, no spoo either. Rings must have seated ok with it.
Last edited by TopperHarley on 02:23 pm Nov 11 2007, edited 2 times in total.
2005 KDX220 mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I still run Dino oil on breakin.. just 'cause I know it will breakdown and the rings will seat.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

cleoent

Post by cleoent »

uh oh, i have to run a different kind of oil for break in??? doh! I'm using repsol 2st oil right now....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Is it full synthetic?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Run a non-synthetic oil for break in. After that, use something good, like AMSoil or Maxima.
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Is it full synthetic?
yep
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Change it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

cleoent

Post by cleoent »

Ok, so here's what's done to my bike, air box lid, woods pipe and silencer, boysen dual stage reeds and of course the wiseco piston kit.

Living in CA i probably wont see anything higher then 2-3k above sea level. So here is the jetting i'm thinking about 40 pilot, 142 main, stock needle on 2nd clip from the top. These settings were recommended by the justkdx site for my mods.

thoughts? I can't damage anything with these settings right? Not too lean i hope...
Last edited by cleoent on 08:52 pm Nov 16 2007, edited 1 time in total.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Can tell you if it's reight or wrong, but I would try it and do a plug chop test.
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

a couple of follow up notes:

both bikes are put back together, the kdx200 feels very strong. Both start in ONE KICK! Awesome. Very awesome.

the kdx220 feels really good at full throttle, at mid throttle once it gets in the upper rpms it stutters, my guess is i need to move the needle clip down again to 3rd spot right? Is that a start? Or should i mess with the carb screws...??
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Mid throttle, upper RPM's and with no load, it should make what is called a 4 stroking sound. That is good. If it's a clean sound, it's too lean. Ask CC. He's the one who helped me with that.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!