Couple of top end questions

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Looks can be deceiving... after you disconnect the KIPS shaft from the right side of the bike... you should be able to move it back and forth with minimal effort. I always at least shoot it with carb cleaner and scrape off any carbon if there is any.

If you have never been into this bike or have maintained this bike on a regular basis.... you should disassemble and clean it. WORD! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

what should be able to move back and forth? The little gears? There is a part of the engine that has the words KIPS on it, i haven't popped off the top yet. I see on those pictures that was the area that was really spooged up. I'll take a look maybe i'll snap some pics.

The 2001 is actually very clean, only reason to do a top end was because of stock piston blowing up, no good. The 1990 was a little dirtier but still pretty clean.
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The horizonal shaft that goes through the cylinder that connects to your "VALVE" should rotate back and forth freely.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

cleoent,

check the ease of operation by rolling the gear with your thumb and forth finger. Depending on what kind of pre-mix was used, how it was jetted, hours of operation, and how long ago it was cleaned if it ever was, are the determining factors on wehter it needs to be done.

Unless i'm just swapping a stock piston out a low hours 220 to avoid the stock piston skirt failure problem. I would go ahead and disassemble the KIPS clean it and go through it for piece of mind. If you have not done it, it will be good learning experience for you. Also, the top end gasket set is not cheap. Might as well get er done while she is apart.

Indawoods,

look at the bryans pic of the left shaft. shaft with the groove. part#46102
isn't there suppose to be a packing in that grove? part#43049. or is it farther down the shaft. If that packing/flat o-ring seal is not present due to disintegration or perhaps it burnt up on re-entry. :lol:
Not having that packing in place is a huge culprit for spooge escaping along the right side shaft and down the KIPS boot.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

ok i will check that out, thanks for your patience and knowledge :)
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

>|<>QBB<
TopperHarley wrote:cleoent,

check the ease of operation by rolling the gear with your thumb and forth finger. Depending on what kind of pre-mix was used, how it was jetted, hours of operation, and how long ago it was cleaned if it ever was, are the determining factors on wehter it needs to be done.

Unless i'm just swapping a stock piston out a low hours 220 to avoid the stock piston skirt failure problem. I would go ahead and disassemble the KIPS clean it and go through it for piece of mind. If you have not done it, it will be good learning experience for you. Also, the top end gasket set is not cheap. Might as well get er done while she is apart.

Indawoods,

look at the bryans pic of the left shaft. shaft with the groove. part#46102
isn't there suppose to be a packing in that grove? part#43049. or is it farther down the shaft. If that packing/flat o-ring seal is not present due to disintegration or perhaps it burnt up on re-entry. :lol:
Not having that packing in place is a huge culprit for spooge escaping along the right side shaft and down the KIPS boot.

This 220 is a low hours replacement due to possible grenanding stock piston. Bike is on it's second rear tire and still has the original front tire.
GS

Post by GS »

I'm gettin the hint that you would prefer to avoid the whole KIPS schmozzle! Could that be the case?

Suggestion: Pull the cover off the left side, the one on the front (over the exhaust port) as well as the left side and have a look. If you disconnect the right side where the gear goes into the cylinder and everything looks like it's working FREELY, then maybe you can save yourself the trouble.

But, you're into it this far........and gettin into the KIPS mechanism really only triples the work....so :razz: :lol:
Last edited by GS on 01:22 pm Nov 07 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's correct about the "packing"... it is simply a very small neolite o-ring. I love that Ma Kaw is very obscure about this even existing....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

well, if its already apart, piston removed, you may want to check the rings to see if they are within recommended service limits.

I have not worked on the pre 95 models. so I cant be of much help there.
although I expect things to be quite similar.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
2005 KDX220 mine
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

Yeah, and complete top end gasket sets dont have it included in the set. Easy to overlook if it wasnt there when you took the shaft out or came off apart inside the bore wnem shaft was removed. Moose doesnt have it in their complete set either. They didnt have the other two KIPS shaft seals untill I called them on it. They sent me a complete set for free. Still couldnt get them to include the little packing.
2005 KDX220 mine
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

i have no idea what you guys are talking about now, lol.
GS

Post by GS »

Packing? What packing?

Sheeeeet! :sad:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

See the Groove? It is supposed to have an o-ring in that groove...

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

GS

Post by GS »

Thanks Inda!
Now, just how necessary *is* that packing, considering it was AWOL when the rod was removed. And I do mean really missing (1st time ever disassemble, too) With no tattered remnants discernable in the bore, either.

Need some comfort food....... :sad:
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

packing/flat o-ring seal is not present due to disintegration or perhaps it burnt up on re-entry.
Not having that packing in place is a huge culprit for spooge escaping along the right side shaft and down the KIPS boot

if it was not there, you must have had a spooge issue down the KIPS rod boot. the packing/0-ring is cheap. Might as well put it together propperly.
2005 KDX220 mine
GS

Post by GS »

No spooge down that far(actuator shaft), course I'm not 100% certain it wasn't still sorta hangin around in the bore, completely mushed in with the carbon and spoo. But I did look for stuff like that, so it was hidin pretty good, if it *was* there!

"put it together propperly(sp?)" ....just hate it when my own words come back around and take a bite out of my very own arse. :rolleyes:
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

boy am i glad i disassembled the kips. both exhaust valves are in multiple pieces. completely destroyed. How the heck was the bike running? How does that happen?

idle gear and main valve is fine. Does anyone have any advice for me? I've orderd both exhaust valves already, boy i can't believe they were shredded. On the plus side i'm super excited on how well the bike will perform with a working kips valve, i always thought it ran great!
GS

Post by GS »

Pics?
cleoent

I'M STUMPED!!!!!!!!

Post by cleoent »

My god, i'm so annoyed.

I'm on the kdx220 now (since the 200 is waiting on parts). I pulled apart the KIPS using the online manual in conjunction with http://www.bryankimsey.com/dirtbikes/KDX/topend.htm this site.

I'm putting everything back together and cannot for the life of me get the side valves as they are called in there to line up correctly so that when the KIPS is open they are open and when they are closed it's closed. What am i doing wrong? I'm soooo frustrated! http://www.bryankimsey.com/dirtbikes/KDX/assembly.htm

I WANT TO SCREAM!!!!!!

Any tips? There are two smaller grooves in each side valve, are those suppposed to do something? the manual says yes, but doesn't elaborate. I'm not really going to be singing any praises over that online manual...