Platnium 2

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

12/47 is close to 13/50. Doubt that you could tell the difference one from the other.

Git out yur calculator 'fer crine out loud.

...or a piece of paper and a pencil?? :hmm:

I doubt a 13/50 chain will fit on a 12/47.

Well, I'm sure it won't. Not and be adjusted 1/2 fast.

A 12/47 takes 108 links (OEM length). A 13/50 takes 110.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

OK, looks like I'm at 13/52=4.00

target is 13/50=3.85

12/47=3.92

kind of in between, guess I could try it or just buy a 50

I'll just but a 50 so I dont have to shorten my 110
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I run a 50... it's just right for everything! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Not for the interstate :lol:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah... that's why I bought a KDX instead of a KZ! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

:mrgreen:

To the original poster, a good idea is to pick a combo you want to try, and order an additional Countershaft sprocket to swap in. So, if you ordered a 13/50, you could pick up a cheap 12T for a real tight trail ride, or even a 14T if you had some open terrain.

That's how I plan on rolling with my RM - 13/48 for MX and swapping in the 12T for trail riding :supz:
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

So, if you ordered a 13/50, you could pick up a cheap 12T for a real tight trail ride, or even a 14T if you had some open terrain.

A 12/50 would be like 4.17. thats lower than the 4.00 we were discussing to be a tad too low. but then I assume it depends on how the transmission each individual bike is geard, RM/KDX. N'es Pas? (thats French or something for "isn't that so?")
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
2005 KDX220 mine
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

OK so maybe 12/50 is pretty useless, but you get the gist of it. 14/50 has it's place though, not sure if you could sneak one under the case saver and still have clearance though.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Just to add to the fray:

after I installed Ron's race-gas version of the head mod, I thought the 12/47 gearing I enjoyed up 'till then seemed too short. I'm now at 12/45 (BTW - 106 links now) which is quite like the 13/49 (3.75).

I haven't had the opportunity to really put it to the test but I get great pull/acceleration with the 12/45. I wondered how much the taller gearing would impact how quickly the bike revs and on even ground it still builds RPMs like an mxer.

Still need to climb a few hills to see what me thinks.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

I just ordered a 50 tooth rear from Fredette. $45 shipped two day air. He owed me a shipping charge from a botched order. I will be testing it out on monday down at Wachita. I will let you know how it works for me.
2005 KDX220 mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Back to the subject:

I'd asked PC about their two pipes. This is the response I just got:
PC wrote:Ok, both pipes are nickel plated but the platinum 2 pipe is a 18 gauge metal. So it's thicker and more durable. The power difference isn't going to be much different at all. The platinum two pipe might allow it rev out a bit more but that's about it.

Now...that makes almost no sense to me. If the pipes profiles are the same, then why would there be ANY difference at all in the 'rev out' mode?

If the PC Platinum is 19ga. I sure wouldn't want it. I had a K-30 (FmF's 19ga. pipe..before the 'burly/gnarly' 18ga. they make now). It was very weenie strength-wise.

I could imagine some difference in pressure wave response between a thicker/thinner pipe...but it sure wouldn't be much. Probably wouldn't be able to tell.

...which maybe is what they're saying.

Good to know, though. This is the FIRST time I've seen ANY reference to difference in metal thickness between the two pipes.

And...the info came from PC. I didn't even make it up!!! :wink:

Consider the source

2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I had also K-30 on my KDX, it was a Fatty pipe. It seemed very flimsy and susceptible to denting.

I've got a PC2 on my RM250 and it fells very strong. I planted it on a 20" log w/ my front end of the ground - not a dent in sight.

I did not know the Platinum was made of a lighter steel.

I was laso under the impression that the Platinum was comparible to the Desert pipe and that the Platinum 2 was comparable to the fmf woods.

Why do the pipe companies gotta make it so complicated?
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

so the Platnium is equal to the desert and the platnium 2 is comparable to the woods???

this is gettin way more confusing!!!
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

That's just the conclusion I've come to based on what I read. I will say from personal experience that the PC2 is a low-mid pipe.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
motorhed220 wrote:so the Platnium is equal to the desert and the platnium 2 is comparable to the woods???

this is gettin way more confusing!!!
That is NOT what the PC guy said...he said they are the same profile.

Although, the way you reckon them has been said before...but, again...that is NOT what PC said.

I've wondered how it is the two pipes are supposedly different profiles (as you said), but the CIRCUMFERENCE of the bell looks to be the same in both pipes. That based on the pictures of them when they are advertised for sale..and THAT may not be true at all.

THAT is what makes the difference between one 'type' and another.

I'd go with what the PC guy says before I'd listen to the 'wisdom' of other folks. He may be WRONG...but, you gott'a start SOMEplace.

Buy one of both..measure them. If the headpipe length is the same..and the bell is the same...they ARE the same.

..the difference in tune considering the different gauge notwithstanding.

Cheers!

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Back to the gearing...

According to Inda's drive ratio chart, 13/52 is the same ratio as the 12/48 I run.

It works perfect for me but I'm probably 100 lbs heavier than the average KDX rider.

In the right conditions I can use 1st gear without it spinning but it takes it's toll on my carpal tunnel holding the throttle just right

But for most hills I can use 2nd, 3rd and sometimes 4th gear!

We'll get to the top of a hill and Carvr will say something like "I spose you pulled that in 3rd gear?" and I'm like "Naw, I was in 4th!"
:mrgreen:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
hart125

Post by hart125 »

Ive run all 4 pipes , both fmf and both pro circuit. All the information Ive read about peoples opinions match mine except a few. fmf torque and desert pipes are the thicker guage and pretty tough. the old platinum is thinner and very vulnerable and the platinum 2 is the same guage as the fmf and is obviously stronger.
the fmf pipes focus on extreme advantages while the pro circuit pipes are more in the middle. so the best bottom end pipe is the fmf torque, then the platinum 2 then the platinum then the fmf desert. the best top end is the other way around.
It looks like the platinum was really the best balanced pipe for the purpose of the kdx but then the 4 stroke control became a real driving force so the platinum 2 was the answer to get more 4 stroke control without the crazy top end hit. (just opinion) the platinum 2 is more of a bottom end pipe though and that is straight from pro circuit and distributors.
its my opinion that pro circuit has done better r&d because those pipes dont rob as much in certain rpms to gain in others. its been said before that if your in 1st through 3rd a lot then the torque pipe is what you want, 4th through 6th then the desert. I say I'm in 2nd through 5th a lot and need a versatile pipe so the platinum2 is the best balance for even power and the platinum is the best for top end with some low end.
just a last though, I'm not the only one who has said that it just seems like the platinum pipes have had better throttle response too so they feel stronger throught the range for some reason.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I run a FMF Woods pipe on my 95 200... it still gets faster than I want to go... and pulls very hard getting there....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

hey indo, are the pipe mounts different ona KDX 2005 versus that of a 94? if im not mistaken the 94 was the last model change/update done to the KDX's before the became extinct eh?
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... a 94 is an E model... a 95 is an H model... the last update.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****