Platnium 2

Got questions? We got answers....
motorhed220

Platnium 2

Post by motorhed220 »

now i know this has been debated before, but is the platinum 2 give the same compareable power boost as a FMF Gnarly DESERT or WOODS??? i only ask because the Pro circuit i can buy is cheaper, so if it will do at least the same idea as the desert, i would think about buying it???

Any ideas...I have a 52 rear sprocket, so im hopin to get back ot my "stock" top end with a pipe and silancer. (i lost a lot of top end with this back sprocket).
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

It's in-between....
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

In betweeen the desert and the woods???? Like no to fast, no to slow???

Which silencer would be best to? I assumed the 304, or mabye the 296, which is actually louder???
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's all very simple really. Just ask'em:

Pro Circuit's Platinum pipe:
PC wrote: Inspiried by the works pipe, rugged pipe that utilizes plating on the body to protect it from everyday wear and tear of motorcycle riding.

Pro Circuit's Platinum 2 pipe:
PC wrote:
The latest platinum 2 pipe is the finest extremely technical off-road pipe made to take on all the ""Gnarly"" competition.

Quite the wealth of information 'eh? I mean...what else do you need to know!!?? :hmm:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I like how they put the word "Gnarly" in parenthesis. I guess they mean for you to go read about the Gnarly pipe on the FMF website and all that stuff applies to their pipe too.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Obviously 'all that stuff' not only applies, but much more too!

..whatever either of those is..'stuff' and/or 'more'.
:wink:

Consider the source

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

foots:

Is your statement exanded upon elsewhere? If so, may I ask the favor of 'Where?' If not..may I ask the favor of 'Now, please?'

Thanks!

IMO and all that useless disclaimer crap...but a 52T sprocket is a pretty darn low ratio to expect much in the way of useful top-end, ain't it. An engine needs something to 'push' against.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 11:10 pm Nov 05 2007, edited 2 times in total.

Consider the source

scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:foots:

Is your statement exanded upon elsewhere? If so, may I ask the favor of 'Where?' If not..may I ask the favor of 'Now, please?'

Thanks!
:hmm:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

CC... check that clove stash! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

Thats what im sayin CC, when i put the 52 toother on, i lost prtty much my 5th and 6th gear for top end, those gears just rev the hell out now, no power.

So i assume if i get a pipe, it will boost the top end back to where it was befroe i put the 52toother on it? No? Plus if i drop the 52 i can always get MORE topend, and still have a kicken pipe.

So i assume the FMF (gnarly desert) is the way to go, because my bike is stock, no RB head job, and even though its more expensive, it will do more for me over all?
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

I do a lot of field hoppin to, so i might even drop the 52 tooth and get a lower 45 mabye, or 43? i want more top speed is what im sayin. (at some point im not sure yet) So would a desrt be the best invetsment over a PC2?
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Get the desert and go for 13/50 combo.
GS

Post by GS »

Motorhed220:
As a courtesy, please run SPELLCHECK!!!!

Only takes a few moments of your time and you'll be taken more seriously.

A 52 toother is pretty steep gearing....can't expect much accelerative 'push' from a fully-wound-out motor. A change of pipe may not be able to do what you are seeking it to do!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Scratch that, only make one change at a time. On a stock 220, a desert pipe & jetting alone will net you some top end.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Er... I would start with gearing.... so much freakin cheaper!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

with 52 teeth, the damn thing is a rocket outta the hole, its scray!!! i cant keep the front tire down!!!! SO With a13/50 combo, and a desert Pipe, powercore II, that gimme a heafty boost eh?
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

I run a 13/52 and love it. Plenty of power everywhere. My top speed is only 64mph but thats plenty for me considering I run in tight woods 95% of the time. Dont get to use 5th and sixth very much at all. I do have RB carb&head w/procircuit exhaust, Boysen DS reads and a Wiseco. This bike just tractors up and through steep technical trails in all RPM ranges with ease. Very little shifting and cluthcwork necessary.
My KDX riding buddies, who have closer to stock gearing and fewer mods, shift and clutch like crazy to tackle the same trail. If I plan a trip to Baja, I will go down a few teeth in the rear for more top end.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Nuttin wrong with a 4:1 ratio, I ran 12/48
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Like new? For sale?

Great!!

Seein' as I already paid for it, how 'bout sending it my way!!

...well...I didn't pay YOU...but I did pay.

I'd guess you'll have a LOT harder time keeping the front end down with a 13/50 than you have with a 13/52.

Exaggerate the effect to make the point.

An absurdly low gear won't get diddle for traction and by the time the weight is transferred to the back enough to pull the front...you're out of gear.

With a somewhat higher gear (and the power to pull it) the engine will still be pulling at the final drive ratio when the weight IS transferred..and the front wheel is coming up.

..and that happens more easily with the improved traction you will get.

Anecdotal example: I run 12/47. There are hills I will NOT get up in first gear...but in 2nd or 3rd I will. Your direction of thinking says the lower gear ratio will work better...but it doesn't.

Because I have no traction in first gear. Due to the low ratio, the engine can more easily slip the rear wheel than PULL against the given traction.

Another anecdotal example: I can be in 3rd gear, running at quite a slow speed, hit just a bit of a bump, stick....and with just throttle pull the front end up. It's not a powerband H-I-T that brings it up, either..it's power. If I'm in 2nd gear and do the exact same thing..I get is wheelspin.

At 13/52, your first gear is practically worthless.

If your bike can't pull a 13/50 final drive, there is something else wrong.

Consider the source

TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

I'm going to try a 13/50 and see how that works for me. When I got the bike from Hellbender it was geared this way. Once I RB'd it it seemed unstoppable. At times, I would like to get the front wheel up a bit easier. what would be a close equivalent to a 13/50 using a 12 tooth up front? I have a couple of 47's and a 49 laying around. Would either of these get me close to a 13/50 with a 12 up front? Wheres that chart at?
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own