Remove upper triple clamp??? How?

Got questions? We got answers....
cleoent

Remove upper triple clamp??? How?

Post by cleoent »

So on her maiden voyage (for me anyways) i crashed my 01 kdx220 and bent the mounts on the upper triple clamp. I've moved the 4 12mm bolts clamping the clamp to the forks, i've also removed the steering 30mm nut. I can't get the upper clamp off.

Of course handle bars are off etc etc. I can't tell what's holding the clamp on right now.... any help?
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Photo would help, but if you are sure the clamp pinch bolts are off and the stem nut is off, then take a rubber mallet and whack it a couple times to break it loose. It just got a little bit of stiction bind.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

i've whacked it, it hasn't moved an inch...

I've taken off 4 pinch bolts and the steering stem nut.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Even with the pinch bolts removed (the 4 12mm bolts) the triple clamp may still be pretty snug around the fork tubes.

Take a large flat-bladed screwdriver and carefully pry the clamp apart slightly for each tube.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

will do! Thanks :)

I just didn't want to force it too much until i made sure that was ok!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Did I say a RUBBER mallet? I meant a 20 lb sledge hammer. Sorry
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

well i shot some penetrating oil on it, let it sit, came back and kept slugging away and finally got it off, wow. That was fun.

cleoent

Post by cleoent »

oh yeah, best part is, the clamps itself aren't bent, it was the bars. But the bars are bent in a fashion that you can't tell looking at them, only when they are on the clamp. Sigh.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
cleoent wrote:oh yeah, best part is, the clamps itself aren't bent, it was the bars. But the bars are bent in a fashion that you can't tell looking at them, only when they are on the clamp. Sigh.
It is real easy for the bar mounting clamps to slightly change position. If the bars appear straight - they probably are. If the bar clamps get tweaked - then tend to slightly twist making the bars appear as if they are bent. Clear as mud - Right?

If I were you I would square up one of the bar clamps then square up the second on measuring diagonally (mounting hole to mounting hole) in order to square the bottom clamps with one another. Then place the handlebar back into the clamps and see if it still appears to be bent. A large percentage of the time this is all that is wrong (slightly twisting mounting clamps). Many of us use a single piece upper bar clamp which eliminates this from happening.

To tweak a Triple Tree you really have to take a very hard hit. Normally a fork tube will bend before a Triple tree will budge.

P.S. The triple tree does not have to be removed to remove or adjust the handlebar mounts - but you likely know that by now. You should be able to reposition the handlebar mounts by using a large crescent and just twisting them alittle to straighten them out or an alternative is to run the bolts back into just the lower clamps and use a long handle screw driver or extension between the bolts to twist the clamps.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

where can i get this single piece upper bar clamp from?
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
cleoent wrote:where can i get this single piece upper bar clamp from?
http://frpoffroad.com/catalog/details.aspx?ProdID=6

So you had to use penetrating oil and a hammer to remove the upper triple clamp???
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

yes.
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

The rubber cone bushings that Kawi uses in the bar mounts do a good job absorbing/isolating some vibration but they are too soft and tend compress and move when they get enough torque on them from a handlebar impact. You can go though the process of loosening and retightening to realign them but once they have moved a few times, they tend to move easier and more often. The sigle piece top clamp should help. I eliminated this problem by removing the stock cones and installing a set of
SCOTTS PERFORMANCE REPALCEMENT BAR MOUNT CONES
Part # 97-1010
Thet are not terribly expensive, I forget how much. I have not had a problem since. Liked them so much, I got another set for the 05 :cool:
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own