What years steering stem compatible?

Got questions? We got answers....
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

What years steering stem compatible?

Post by jc7622 »

Ijust got some '03 KX forks off Ebay. I want to come up with another KDX stem so I can sell my old forks complete. What year stems are compatible with my 2005 KDX?

JC
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

95-2005 KDX220 and 95-2006 KDX200. You will also need to modify the steering stop so the top trip clamp will not hit the gas tank. Some people heat up the tank with a heat gun and make indentation. I prefer other methods. you will also need to install spacers to take up the additional space between the stem bearing lock nut and the upper clamp. Due to the fact that the uppper kx clamp is thinner than the KDX. you will also need to install shim material between the stem and the upper clamp because the kdx stem has a slightly smaller diameter than the KX stem. Next issue would be your front brake cable routing. Kx routing (down the front and under) works but IMO, not good for tight wood or rocky trail riding. besides that, you nedd KX caliper and line etc. I prefer the KDX routing or CR style. you can use your KDX caliper and line etc. Light speed makes a nice little carbon fiber plate that you can rivet to the front of the lower fork guard and use the cable clamp off your KDX from the lower left outer fork tube. be sure and put some epoxy on the rivets to protect the chrome on the inner tube in case the contact each other. I use a light speed carbon fiber lower fork guard which is stout enough to go without the guard guide that clamps around the lower part of the outer tuber ont he KX forks. I dont think they are making the guard for those forks anymore. I purchased the last set and a half. Who knows, they may make you a set if you ask real nicely.
Check with fredette..he may but your old forks if they are in good shape. If your a track rider, the2003KX forks may work well for you stock. If your in the woods and trail riding, you will want to work with the valving to make them user friendly. there is alot of info about fork conversion experiences on her. you just need to search it out. Good luck
Oh, I forgot to mention that you will need a KX front wheel axel and spacers for that year/s forks.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own
grump99

Post by grump99 »

FYI:

As far as I can tell, KDX and KLX-250 use the same stem. I bought a KX250 front end conversion that was previously mounted on a mid '90s KLX-250. It bolted right up to my KDX. You can probably cross-check the part number on Kawasaki's web site. Might be easier to find a KLX stem, since KDX stems are in demand.

Good luck!
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Thanks Topper and grump. I do also have the front wheel and have read everything on the swap multiple times. I have been thinking about the brake line routing and am sure I can fab something that still looks good. I'll check out the KLX lead on the stem also.

JC