Added another KDX!

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

'bout an hour and a half.... pretty simple.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

for reals? Wow. Terrific!

Now the manual (online one through this site) says the cylinder can't be honed, should i do it anyways or just skip this step?
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
GS

Post by GS »

Inda:
Well here goes: 'The plating is thin'.....just as it's supposed to be, fercrisakes. Mine was in pretty good shape.....but not perfect.

KDXQuebec:
can't say I agree with that particular theory. Piston I took out was crap casting-wise. Looked so bad, that it looked as if I made it at home, while drinking!

Cleoent:
If you can do that re and re, PROPERLY, in 1.5 hours ....WOW!....Why? cause might as well clean up the KIPS while you're in there, and do a general dusting of everything else.

DON'T take the KIPS actuating shaft off the cylinder until you have read all the 'gotchas' about supporting the shaft and the fact that the threading is reversed, etc.
Lots of info hereabouts in that regard!

Honing: Gentle Scotchbrite pad seems to be the recommended procedure. That coating/plating is thin, but hard. However it does need a little de-glazing to get the rings to seat.

There I am all wordy AGAIN.

Sorry! :neutral:
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

Got it, thanks.

I have read and reread about the KIPS shaft, i'll probably still break it though :lol:
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

A little heating with a propane torch will loosen the loctite used by the factory on that LH nut.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Cleoent - Since you're gonna replace the piston, take the opportunity to replace the stock reeds with some power reeds ($30). Gives you a little more snap. And when you get her going again get the jetting dialed in.

But the RB mods others have brought up are something to certainly consider in the future (the nearer the better) and will bring about quite a "step change" in the motor's performance. Both the head mod and carb mod will not only give you power throughout but will extend that top end. It'll be like riding a different bike.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!