clutch basket condition

Got questions? We got answers....
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

clutch basket condition

Post by skipro3 »

My clutch basket looks about like this one in the photo. I took a file to mine and touched it up to a flat surface again. But I was wondering if anyone here had an opinion on the about of wear shown. My clutch seemed to work perfectly as it was, but since It's going to EFM to be modded into an autoclutch, I thought I'd dress the surfaces. It didn't take but a few strokes with a good file.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I would also state that it does not look bad to me ( a picture taken 90 degrees to the worked surface would have maybe shown any wear better IMO) and function is what it all about. :grin:

The problem as I see it with the filing process (if done prior to becoming functionally necessary) is: If there is any surface hardening process applied to the clutch basket it only takes a few strokes of a file to remove it. :sad:

Sounds like your sold on the autoclutch. :lol: I've yet to even try one!! :sad:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Yup, I won't own a bike anymore without an auto clutch. They make me a much better rider than I could ever be otherwise.

I am sure the stock basket doesn't have any surface hardening. They file up easy as the surfaces are designed to do two faces at the same time, keeping the file in perfect angle to the face being filed. I only needed a few strokes on each to get them cleaned up. I could see, and just barely feel the ridges.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!