Engine output shaft seal

Got questions? We got answers....
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Engine output shaft seal

Post by TopperHarley »

I seem to be loosing a small amount of oil from my output shaft on my 2002 220R. Its not too bad but I want to fix it. How easy is it to change the output shaft seal. I am assuming it can be done w/out cracking the case, I hope.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You talking behind the countersprocket? No case splitting needed! Just pick out with a scribe.... clean well.... replace.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Depending on the condition of the collar it will have to be replaced as well.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Sometimes drilling a small hole and screwing a sheet metal screw (or two) into the seal will give you a gripping surface to pull it out with, reducing the possibility of damaging the case seal surfaces. Also, if I recall correctly, the seal wear point usually isn't exactly centered on the collar, so you can reverse the collar for some extended use. (OK, I'm a cheap bstd...oh wait, no, I'm responsibly conserving the world's resources to help reduce global warming!). :supz:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I'd be surprised if it's the seal in the case or the collar on an '02. Usually it is the O-rings behind the collar.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

>|<>QBB<
quailchaser wrote:I'd be surprised if it's the seal in the case or the collar on an '02. Usually it is the O-rings behind the collar.
Could be. A bad O-ring will leak oil right through the spacer well beyond the seal. The seal will leak, well, at the seal. Clean and check.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

I pulled the collar out and it has a step in it where it fits over the oring. does not appear to be reversable. Perhaps it was on pre 95 models. I like the drilling and screw method for removal. Guess I better order an oring and collar also.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own