Anyone Know About Parts Washers?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Anyone Know About Parts Washers?

Post by KDXGarage »

Does anyone know about parts washers? I have seen some inexpensive ones at Harbor Freight, and I have begun to wonder about them. I already figured out that a fork tube won't fit in the 3.5 gallon models, so I am wondering about the bigger models.

Does a parts washer filter out the gunk or does it just pump it back around? Is a filter something that would be on just an expensive model?

What kind of solvent would they use?

How many gallons of solvent would it need??

I would appreciate ANY advice or insight into parts washers in general. I hardly know anything about them at all, but it seems it would be handy to have one.

Thanks!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

i use a part washer at my job.i am a glassblower and a gun painter.i clean paint guns with a parts washer.i use 3 gallons of thinner.and the gunk is not filtered.this is a big expensive machine.5 foot tall.

the brand is becca.works great
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've also wondered about owning one of these things. I've certainly gone through enough carb cleaner, brake cleaner, kerosene, gasoline, paint thinner, water, and several other types of solvents to have paid for one by now.
Let us know what you find out Jason.

BTW, Nice photo of yourself. You look just as I imagined you might! THe bow tie is an especially nice touch. Ha! :lol:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I made my own po-mans parts washer. NAPA had thier brake clean on sale for $1.59 a can so I emptied 3 cans into a sealable tupperware container. I threw in an old carb from a restore project that was terribly varnished, sealed the lid and shook every so often. Scrubbed it with a parts cleaner brush too. The next day it was clean. I re-used this a few times as a parts washer until it got too much crap in it then I filtered the crap out with coffee filters back into the tupperware. The brake clean doesn't loose any strength and it doesn't get wasted. I give everything a final spray with a can of brake clean. My wife has no idea where that tupperware container is either.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I have gone through cans, too. I am reading up, and will post some info later. Right now, it is looking like "keep using cans".

The other night at Wal-Mart, I bought one can of cheap Wal-Mart carb cleaner, plus one of every kind of brake cleaner they had. I figured that I would try one of each, then buy a bunch of the kind that is best.

I can be quite nerdy on gathering KDX information, so I thought it was appropriate. :grin:

Coffee filters. :supz: I never thought of that. I have cleaned stuff in a Tupperware tub, but not with the lid on.

The solvent is expensive (to me). Someone had used the term "dip tank". Maybe a home made dip tank would be more feasible. For cleaning air filters, I use kerosene in an empty, big plastic cat litter box. A 5 gallon bucket would be even better. They actually have some lime green ones at Wal-Mart, just no lid!! :sad:

Someone had mentioned converting an old bathtub into a parts washer. That is too big and heavy sounding.

Oh well, random info.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Yup, air filters. I finally switched to No-Toil. Great stuff as I can now clean the filter right in the kitchen sink without the wife throwing a pot at me. But your cat litter box is a good idea for parts cleaning. I just tossed one out, so I guess I'll retreive it and see how that works.
I really like the idea of a steady flood of solvent without it being under pressure. BTW, buy some rubber gloves when using any solvent. I found some in a box like kleenex. You pull one out and the next one pops up. Good for left or right hand and after use, you just toss 'em. Pretty cool.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It is a Fresh Step brand box. It has a lid on it. It is bright white, so it is easy to see when the airfilter is clean, or gunk is still coming out.

Gloves are a great idea. My $3 green Stanley gloves are one of my better buys.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I bought one of those cheap 3 1/2 gallon washers from Harbor Freight. Big mistake. The pump can't handle agressive solvents. I gave it away.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hmmm. :sad: That is good to know.

It is sounding more and more like what is needed is real expensive. I better think "dip tank" and most of all, "homemade". :grin:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I wonder about making a washer and using an electric fuel pump to supply a flow for the solvent. Should be able to get the pump at a Pick-n-Pull wrecking yard for cheap I would think. Then a simple wash basin and faucet arrangement for contol of the pump; turn the knob and that controls the switch to the fuel pump. Then, build it into the work bench so the sink is flush and can be covered with a board when not used so the workbench is still available. Yes..... Then the sink can have a stopper so you can soak parts just like a dip tank. O.K. off to a swap meet for a small stainless sink and faucet!!!
Jerry

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Ha ha. Good luck shopping!