Cold weather riding gear recommendations?

Got questions? We got answers....
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Cold weather riding gear recommendations?

Post by wanaride »

I'm thinking about getting some new riding gear for the winter and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for cold weather riding gear. I already have MSR "ColdPro" gloves; I'm thinking about jersey, pants and maybe a jacket.

Thanks!
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

I just put a hooded sweatshirt under my jersey. Once you start to ride I feel like taking it off b/c I am sweating so much. :oops: Maybe jeans if it is really cold. I call it a hillbilly ride.

Is their cold weather riding in N.C.? I wouldn't think you would need to bundle up too much, but like I said once you get going you will be sweating, I do at least.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Well, cold is relative of course. The coldest I've ridden in was the upper 20s, but a normal winter high temperature for us is upper 30s/lower 40s.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

My wife and I would ride when it was in the low 20's. Staying dry is the key to keeping warm and safe. The first layer on your upper body has to wick. There are a bunch of polyester brands now that specialize in wicking. NEVER let cotton touch your skin when you will be sweating in the cold. Next layer is polar fleece. It too wicks and breaths and both layers stay dry. Outer shell should be a wind resistant layer. Carry a backpack to keep additional socks and gloves (water crossings) and maybe an additional polar fleece or polypro layer if the sun goes away or it you gain altitude. You also may have to take a layer off.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
wanaride wrote:Well, cold is relative of course. The coldest I've ridden in was the upper 20s, but a normal winter high temperature for us is upper 30s/lower 40s.
You should try winter riding here in NY. Ice, snow (so you can't ride), shoveling, plowing, we have all the fun.
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

When I lived in New England I used to wear long underwear and sweatpants under my riding pants. Very effective. I found that just keeping the torso layered was not working.
Hands and feet were a big problem.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

bradf is on the right track. Layer up and keep it all synthetic. The only natural fiber I wear is wool socks. Start with a wicking layer of polypro, then polar fleece, then a wind breaking layer. For my feet it's a layer of polypro socks next to my skin with wool socks over them. Hands I use those silvery space gloves or silk liner gloves over the heaviest dirt bike gloves I can find. Buy the gloves large so there's room for the liners. I then also use a baklava(sp?) over my head to keep my throat and ears warm. But before I start, I spray my whole body down with an unscented anti persperant. This reduces the amount of sweating that can build up during bursts of exertion. I concentrate on my feet and hands since I don't want to have them get wet. Carry a backpack to remove or add layers as needed.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Baklava is a dessert.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Isn't it a greek dessert? :mrgreen:

Good suggestions...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Here in Oregon it is cold and wet riding at least 1/2 the year. I found that using neoprene socks works great because they are waterproof and warm. I used a pair that I bought for winter steelhead fishing and tried them instead of my wool socks and they work great. I agree that Polypro or any Poly wicking material as 1st layer, followed by fleece, with riding gear as top layer works great. I bought a Thor waterproof jacket that work good and want to buy a pair of waterproof pants. I have heard great things about KLIM gear. I think they started making gear for the snowmachine crowd, so it should work great for cold weather biking. I am still looking for a good pair of waterproof, warm gloves that still allow good freedom of movement.
'
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

ok well clearly none of you know cold :rolleyes: lol, I live in CANADA, so if you wanna stay warm here is what you do:

First, dress in layers (obvioulsy) have some good wool socks, they work like a charm and in your boots keep you damn warm. next,
you put on some gym shorts over your boxers (im a teenageer, i dont wearspeedo underwear), and over the gym shorts put on some good warm track pants...No need in buying crazy "pro cold" stuff, its a waste of money and usally doesnt work. Long underwear works too!
Now you put on some of your riding gear either your pants or w/e. I wear military issue army fatigues (urban Camo!) for pants and they work fine.
For trhe uper body, i start with a wife beater tank top, then a Tshirt of somekind, then a button up flannel shirt (like them lumberjacks wear) then a hoodie sweater, followed by my jersy. All nicely tucked in and what not...Waer a chest protector to break the wind and a baleclave under the hemlet and your all rearin to go. if your hands are sensitive, some thivker winter gloves would work either way...

Set up like this you can ride in the snow, BUT STAY OUTTA WATER!!! lol thats it!
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!