Maxxis M6001 forest gnome tire

Got questions? We got answers....
UFS207

Maxxis M6001 forest gnome tire

Post by UFS207 »

Just mounted and rode on a new Maxxis M6001 100/100-18 rear this past weekend. $47 from denniskirk.com. This is the smallest/lowest profile 100/100-18 tire I have ever seen in my life. My previous Maxxis Maxcross IT 100/100-18 looks much bigger. It looks like I have a front tire from an XR100 on my rear now. I bought it online so I couldn't gauge the size before purchase. It IS a 100/100-18 tire though, at least according to the sidewall and ad.

It worked surprisingly well. The bike was noticeably peppier turning such a small tire and amazingly it hooked up great. Still I am worried about rim damage, lots of rocks at one place I frequent. Wear will be a huge factor as well since it's a directional tire and can't be flipped.

Anyways, this post is more of a heads up for you guys: If you go with a Maxxis M6001 rear and want a stock-sized tire might want to go with a 110 version or maybe even higher. If you want the smallest 18" tire that you can put on your rim this has got to be it.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Those have the stiffest sidewall in the industry.... You can ride flat and not even know it....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
UFS207

Post by UFS207 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Those have the stiffest sidewall in the industry.... You can ride flat and not even know it....
I'd believe it. Had a HELL of a time mounting it. Pinched a hole in the first tube and thought I'd bend the rim for sure trying to pry that last bit of tire bead over.
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I run Maxxis Desert ITs and those are even stiffer (sidewall) in my experience. I couldn't mount one the other day because I was having so much trouble. They hook up awesome and last a long time though.