Sudden power loss, heavy smoke.

Got questions? We got answers....
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Curious...were you aware of the fabled 220 piston problems?

Note to everyone that hasn't 'fixed' their 220 yet: See? It's NOT a fairy tail (sic), it DOES happen, and if you haven't resolved YOUR imminent problem, you should.

Sorry to hear that yet another 220-rider got bit. :sad:
I have two words for you...

De nile!

Yes I've heard the rumor that some of us might (I beleive you used the word "fabled")have a negative experience with the stock piston but you know it can't happen to you! Well I might not EVER have a problem with mine but I see the light now!

Believe me I have started a new piston fund (PM me if you want to contribute!) cuz $124.95 is one tenth of 1249.50 which is what this is gonna end up costing by the time we get it home, in the bike, and new fluids topped off.

So will this ever happen to me? I guess I'll never know cuz I plan to fix this very soon...maybe not this season.. but soon.

Waz
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!" - Emmet Brown
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

maybe not this season.. but soon.
Might be too late then... :wink:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Something to ease your mind over the issue.........

Most of the time...like about ALL of the time...'everything' seems just fine, then 'KABLOOYEE!!'.

A response of, 'It's been fine for two years...I'm sure it'll last.'.....is simply wrong.

I recall one rider..just taking one last spin before putting his bike up for the season. Yep. 'SOCKO! WHOPP! BANG-o!!' Away it went.

His cases fractured. That engine was definitely done for. Certainly completely a goner.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
GS

Post by GS »

I think Waz is just funnin with us!...."maybe not this season .. but soon"

You'd be tempin fate, son! Now mine didn't break...but what a sh*tty casting.

Now...I still think you're collecting refundable bottles to pay for that replacement piston.... :blink:
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Ouch - a hard way to learn. Thanks for sharing: you likely have saved some others your experience and financial pain - if they listen!!!
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

BTW...there have been comments posted by some 'mechanics' about the whole 220 piston deal being a fairy tale..made up on some chump websites.

Here's a plan!! Listen to the people that RIDE those things, that have HAD the experience..and learn something from it!!

I've seen pics of the 220 piston skirt. It is indeed a ridiculous excuse for a piston. THey couldn't have left more sharp-edged fracture points on it if they tried to.

Maybe the pics came from GS... Maybe it's still around?? Got a link?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

didn't kdxquebec post a pic of a "barely used" CRACKED piston a while back?
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

So what's the deal? I let everyone know about the piston in my nephews bike grenading and causing 1200.00 bucks in damage and suddenly Wiesco piston kits for a 220 at MotoSport.com are on backorder!!

Waiting inventory???

I ordered two kits...piston, gaskets, wrist pin and needle bearings for less that 260 bucks but I guess i gotta wait till they get some inventory. Guess I'll do the tear down, go through the KIPS and have it all ready for when I finally get the stuff.

I can only hope you all have learned something from all this and that's the reason I can't find a piston. If that's the case..good on ya mate!

Waz
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

On Sunday 10/21/207 at 9:10 PM I ordered twelve sets
Quantity discount, I got them for $79.99/ea

On sale today for $189.99/ea!!

Yeah, right :lol:
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:On Sunday 10/21/207 at 9:10 PM I ordered twelve sets
Quantity discount, I got them for $79.99/ea

On sale today for $189.99/ea!!

Yeah, right :lol:
Good plan but you tipped your hand!

I'm glad you're not handling MY finances!

:lol:
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Is this just a US thing cause i never herd of anyone in Canada having this problem. I did mine just in case but the previous owner had replaced the oem piston with guess what... another oem piston.

Maybe it's the air maybe it's the gas maybe it's the cold whether... who knows?
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
muddertrucker wrote:Is this just a US thing cause i never herd of anyone in Canada having this problem. I did mine just in case but the previous owner had replaced the oem piston with guess what... another oem piston.

Maybe it's the air maybe it's the gas maybe it's the cold whether... who knows?
Maybe it's just shear luck..

I'm not going to take that chance.

He prolly replaced it cuz it fell apart inside one day and didn't know about the OEM problem. Hence replace with OEM...it's cheaper!

Just a guess...

Waz
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Actualy I still have both oem pistons on my shelf and they look fine.
Gallery!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If engine parts were built by looks... allot of companies would be out of business.

Caterpillar Magnaflux's their driveshafts and look for micro cracks that will cause failure.... allot don't pass.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

That's why they are on the shelf and not in the bike.
Gallery!
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

So I have mine torn mine down...all looks good in the cylinder. Shall I take scotch brite to it like some have suggested?

I tore the KIPS apart and cleaned the carbon off and have all moving parts freed up and a bit of prelube on them for the break in. I am pretty sure about the alignment of the actuation rods but the real test will come when I reattach the external little fan shaped gear that changes rotation direction to the main shaft. I assume this is a normally KIPS closed state and install it with that in mind. Any direction is appreciated.

It is taking longer for the parts to arrive than the actual tear down and reassembly and I expect the reassemble to go as smoothly as the tear down.

C clips on the connecton rod face upward is that what I've heard? Does it really matter as they were all over the place when I pulled it apart. At 12K RPM I don't see how they keep from spinning around some.

Anyway that's were I'm at till the parts come in.

Any suggetions or warnings welcome. It ain't rocket science but a guy can get caught on something sometimes...

Waz
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Well on the clips, I would have told you it didn't matter, except after reading stuff on here that I was doomed if I didn't set them at 12 or 6 o'clock, I tore my engine down after only 1 three hour ride. What I found was one of the clips was in the right position, but the other was not seated in the groove any longer, and was close to touching the cylinder wall. I really don't understand this because they were Wiseco clips, known for being tenacious little bastards, but either I totally screwed up the initial seating , which I checked a lot of times , or there's sumpin to the placement ritual.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:Well on the clips, I would have told you it didn't matter, except after reading stuff on here that I was doomed if I didn't set them at 12 or 6 o'clock, I tore my engine down after only 1 three hour ride. What I found was one of the clips was in the right position, but the other was not seated in the groove any longer, and was close to touching the cylinder wall. I really don't understand this because they were Wiseco clips, known for being tenacious little bastards, but either I totally screwed up the initial seating , which I checked a lot of times , or there's sumpin to the placement ritual.
I'll watch fo that Thanx...

So what's with the scotch bright?
Rub in line with the piston motion or round like a hone?
Is it necessary to do?

I've used scotch bright on chrome rims once...only once...they were never the same again!

Waz
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

It's to break the glazing or sumthin
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

Yeah I did a search and got lots of info...Thanx everyone!

Waz