KLX250

Got questions? We got answers....
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Just MAYBE that lack of bottom end on the KLX dual sport MAY be due to the jetting necessary to pass emission testing. Enrichening the low throttle settings MAY add significantly to the torque available. Even the old XL and XR Honda's had this problem as delivered. Also the Yamaha TTRs and Honda CRF play bikes still have this problem. Heck even the Yamaha WR 250/400/426 off road racing bikes needed a few standard fixes. (Sort of like the KDX standard mods of pipe/airbox/jetting - but changes are generally a lot less costly on the four strokes because your changing the exhaust tip without buying a pipe)

Has anybody any real world experience with the KLX bike? I don't have any experience with one yet - but I would bet that there are some easily accessible HP and more torque available for someone welling to spend a couple hours of tinkering with the bike. Bottom line - I would not trash talk about a bike based soley on a magazine article. :butthead: :lol:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I have to agree with IdahoCharley...just about any bike that is delivered to meet EPA or CARB stds. has hidden potential. I rode a CRF250X for a couple of years...bottom end was missing until it was rejetted, the airbox cut open and the ignition curve remapped. Once that was done, the thing was a wheelie machine.

here's an excerpt from a KLR forum from a poster who did carb and simple airbox/exhaust mods to his KLR250:

"Definitely easier to lift. It doesn't have the dial-a-wheelie capability of a two stroke motocrosser, (who wants that anyway?!) but it's greatly improved over stock. A slight pull on the bars as you gas it and up it comes. It reminds me a little of my old '93 KDX200 in that way."
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
tag220

Post by tag220 »

If you look at the wr 250r specs to wr 250f specs very different bikes .I have many miles on a klx 250 which has jetting and air box mods this thing can be as fast as a xc 250 or kdx in the tight stuff because it is under powered and smooth get it on a hill or deep mud and forget it. Alot of drz 400 guys like the klx for the weight it will call for nice clutch work and a bar tug to loft the front wheel in first. The klx guys claim a pumper carb and quarter turn throttle help . MAKE SURE YOU CAN RIDE ONE BEFORE YOU BUY ONE