another sleeve or a new cylinder

Got questions? We got answers....
sheepdog

another sleeve or a new cylinder

Post by sheepdog »

I bought my '98 220 last year. It had been ridden pretty hard by the condition but it was really cheap.

Well it started missing and making a slight knocking noise in time so I figured something was wrong.

I removed the cylinder to find a sleeve that had rotated about 10 degrees from where it was originally installed.

I talked to a company that does sleeves and they said they could make a sleeve that would fit it tight but i'm thinking I should find a new cylinder.

Any ideas on the best course of action?

I figure a good used cylinder is best, but if I cannot find one will the sleeve get me by until I can get a lower "mileage" bike?
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I'd definitely keep your eye out for a new/used cyl. They don't have iron sleeves in them stock....They are plated. A plated cyl is better, IMO. Certainely better than trying to fix a botched sleeve job.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Why was it sleeved? Is the piston size stock? The most common reason a cylinder would be sleeved would be to increase the displacement. The point of knowing that is when it comes to ordering parts keep in mind what you have may not BE a 220.

Call Fredette. He's got them most surely. I got one from him to replace my US Chrome-screwed cylinder.

There are lots of downsides to sleeves. You are real familiar with one of 'em...and that's not the most common.

Given the choice (and having been asked the question) I'd replace the thing in a heatbeat. No sense in going to the trouble of having the thing sleeved again, imo.

If you get a cylinder that is damaged, have it bored and replated (NOT BY US Chrome!), not sleeved.

You may need some new KIPS parts. I would assume so, actually. The main valve will have been modified to fit if the displacement was changed.

Also, do NOT replace the 220 piston with an OEM part (Pro-X). They are fatally flawed...have been for years...still are. Use a Wiseco.

Oh...get a head with the cylinder. If the sleeve increased displacement, the head should have been modified to fit. If you use the modified head on an OEM sized cylinder, your combustion pressures (static compression) will be too low. That leads to lousy throttle response and bad bottom-end.

Now....we can't be havin' bad bottom-ends!!

:wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

Thanks for the advice.

I emailed FRP and they need a good core cylinder to replace the one you would buy, so i'm out of luck there.

Why it was sleeved, I have no idea. From the condition of the bike when I bought it there could be any reason.

I think I'm just going to sell it as parts or to someone who wants to fix it and get another one.

We'll chalk it up as a learning experience. Plus it was really cheap and it got me back into riding.
GS

Post by GS »

If it got you back into riding....it's all good.

My really beat up 'ol Yamaha RT180 did just that for me.

I still give her a pat when I pass by. :wink:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
GS wrote:If it got you back into riding....it's all good.

Don't pat her too strongly, the sub frame might crack! :lol:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: '...they need a good core cylinder to replace the one you would buy..'

You might ask them twice about that. I didn't send them a core..bought a cylinder outright.

But...the cylinder I had a problem with was ported by FRP...so maybe they cut me some slack.

Ask twice...shed a tear or two..maybe they will make an exception. There should be plenty of 'H' cylinders around I'd think.

Good luck!!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:>|<>QBB<
GS wrote:If it got you back into riding....it's all good.

Don't pat her too strongly, the sub frame might crack! :lol:
HAHAHAHA
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
GS

Post by GS »

I don't.

Sounds like you have experience with that? :roll:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Ondatrail does. Unfortuntely I moved up from mine before I had any of that happen.
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

Yea they crack where the subframe meets the frame. I just welded it and good as new. Of course mine was jumped ALOT by the previous owner and it was a 1990 so it had alot of rides under its belt
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
GS

Post by GS »

Mine is just BEAT....but still willing! Haven't looked for cracks but it would be entirely reasonable for it to have 'issues' given the 'wuupin' it's taken.

BUT, it sure was a ton of fun, riding such an obvious 'underdog' and keeping up with much newer and faster machines.

Certainly enjoyed the looks of disbelief!
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
GS wrote:Mine is just BEAT....but still willing! Haven't looked for cracks but it would be entirely reasonable for it to have 'issues' given the 'wuupin' it's taken.

BUT, it sure was a ton of fun, riding such an obvious 'underdog' and keeping up with much newer and faster machines.

Certainly enjoyed the looks of disbelief!
Yea like me and my sleds: 1987 Yamaha Excel III. Look of shock is definally a plus when power isn't :mrgreen: