Another Fork spring question

Got questions? We got answers....
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

So you think .38's or .40 for me?
>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:XR springs are great...imo and all that. Now...not springs made for an XR...but Honda springs.

They are hot wound (uh..not cold) for one..and they do a great job. I've ridden with Eibachs (a spring mfg) of the same advertised rate as my Honda springs..and the Honda (red wings on the package and all) springs are far superior.

Keep in mind what you're after preload-wise. The OEM springs are generally 470mm in length. OEM config includes one heckuva preload..to the tune of around 35mm. DON'T do that with your new springs. A preload of only 5mm or so will work much better. IF the Honda springs are 530mm or so..you can see there's a bit of a space problem. More correctly, a LACK of space problem. Your preload spacer may only have to be a few mm thick.

Washers designed for that purpose would be best. Still, you can go the sched-40 1" PVC route, but cutting it that thin can be a problem.

Use a miterbox..or a powered miter saw! Back the pipe with either a board or antother piece of pipe..just as you would any cut you want to be nice and square with no 'lumps'.

Cutting a PVC slice 4mm long by hand is tough..and filing square that small sliver is tougher.

You're gonna love 'em!! Guaranteed!!

If you don't love them, my name ain't Mortimer Alzheimer!!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Your running 46's what did you do about rebound?
I have yet again shamed my Helen Reddy Sped Reddin Course.

I read, '..what did you do about preload?' Don't ask me why 'cuz I dunno.

I took Mr. Wibben's smart aleck response 'Do about?' to mean there isn't anything you DO about it..except put in the preload you want.

Ahhhh....but it's REBOUND.

Indeed. What DO you do about that. Well...nothing, really, as there IS no rebound circuit, adjustment, valve or anything else rebound. You can change rebound effect by changing the oil viscosity..but I don't think that was the intent of the question.

So...all cutsie smart-aleck aside (until Wibbens posts next)...what IS the intent of the question, 'Your running 46's what did you do about rebound?'

:hmm:

Yep, .40s. 42s would be better at 200, but I don't recall Honda putting a .42 in the XR. Not at all sure about that. But...I have complete trust and faith in your getting skinny...so .40's it is.

...they are?

Sumthin like that.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Yer not the only one :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

Thanks for the info. Lost 40 lbs already 10-15 is no problem

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:
Your running 46's what did you do about rebound?
I have yet again shamed my Helen Reddy Sped Reddin Course.

I read, '..what did you do about preload?' Don't ask me why 'cuz I dunno.

I took Mr. Wibben's smart aleck response 'Do about?' to mean there isn't anything you DO about it..except put in the preload you want.

Ahhhh....but it's REBOUND.

Indeed. What DO you do about that. Well...nothing, really, as there IS no rebound circuit, adjustment, valve or anything else rebound. You can change rebound effect by changing the oil viscosity..but I don't think that was the intent of the question.

So...all cutsie smart-aleck aside (until Wibbens posts next)...what IS the intent of the question, 'Your running 46's what did you do about rebound?'

:hmm:

Yep, .40s. 42s would be better at 200, but I don't recall Honda putting a .42 in the XR. Not at all sure about that. But...I have complete trust and faith in your getting skinny...so .40's it is.

...they are?

Sumthin like that.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Honda XR springs were made .38 from '96-99 and .40 form '00 to '04. If you're 200lbs IN GEAR, .40's should work just fine. If you consider yourself a real fast guy, then a stiffer spring would be more appropriate.

Keep an eye out for the XR springs - Like CC stated, your looking for genuine OEM Honda XR springs, not an after market one. Check various places like Ebay and Thumpertalk classifieds and so on.

If all else fails, order a set at Fredette, $79.95.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Also consider Mxoldtimer's set.... I got a cheap set of .40's from Jeb, which came from Wibby, and now belong to member Ondatrail. :partyman:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

From the original post:
Is there that much of a difference between the .38 and .40 springs in the sense of plushness of ride?
The two things, spring rate and 'plushness of ride', while not mutually exclusive are quite separate.

Consider the adage: 'Spring heavy, valve light.' If you want to take the time, you can find numerous incidents of anecdotal evidence of that...riders complaining of 'harshness' and making the mistake of going to a lighter spring only to have the situation get worse.

While there are a good many that profess to be expert in the field, most of those are simply out standing in their own field. (You understand the difference, correct?)

Even a well qualified suspension tech can have a hard time doing a long distance 'fix' of a suspension problem. A large part of that is the reliance on input from the rider as to what's going on. A report like, 'It's too stiff' is mostly useless.

That same tech could watch you ride for a minute on a suitable track and know exactly what was needed.

There is a fairly narrow range of 'correct' spring choice given rider weight, riding style and environment. After that choice is made, there is a veritable smorgasbord of choices in the valving world..some of them stupid..some of them useful.

The correct spring choice does not necessarily result in 'plush' is the point.

Pretty much btw, but what is 'plush' anyway? You would do better to define suspension problems or expected result in terms of high speed compression (HSC), low speed compression (LSC), where in the stroke 'it' (whatever problem 'it' is) happens, and handling problems (front end washout, rear tire off the ground (exactly when/where/how that happens is critical to determining what to do about it)....things like that.

One more btw..'speed' aabove refers to the speed of the suspension action...NOT the speed of the bike.

And this is a good place to say...Have Fun!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!