Radiator leak

Got questions? We got answers....
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Radiator leak

Post by skipro3 »

Well, I had to go and screw with the bike, now didn't I?

Maybe if I hadn't I would have discovered the leak out in the woods.

Here's what happened:
I decided to install my Devol radiator braces. The Works Connection braces haven't arrived yet. I took the shrouds off and noticed that the throttle side radiator was mashed in to the 2nd fin. No biggie, I've tapped them fairly straight before using a block of softwood and a rubber mallet. About 3 blows on the thing and I stopped and thought to myself that hey, it's not leaking now, but what if it starts while I'm trying to "repair" it. About then I saw the drip. Too late. A drip surfaced not where I was tapping or the outside edge where the fins where so smashed in, but at the bottom, inside, front edge. Right where the fin that has the mounting tabs connect to the bottom tank.
Cut to the chase: I removed and using soap, lung pressurized and saw bubbles in the suspected spot. Way inside behind the fin at the base of the tank. I had a small butane torch and heated that spot up real, REAL good. cooled her off and tried the bubbles and mouth again. No bubbles!! Next to the garage, some tape to plug holes and the air compressor. Pressurized up until the cap vent started to whistle like a tea kettle. About then one of my tape plugs shot out like a missile. No bubbles though!! Did it again; air whistling out the overflow pressure relief vent and no bubbles in site.
So, think it's fixed? I think I just had a cracked solder joint and by heatng I reflowed the solder well enough to stop the leak. I want to ride and I don't know of any place local that will repair a motorcycle radiator tomorrow. I'm hoping it holds while carvr is here. In the meantime, If I can find one in a local dealership, I'm using it.

Anyone want to overnite me their KX250 cap-side radiator as a loan for a few days?? Ha!!

Let me know if i should do anything else. I was thinking about one of those radiator stop-leak concoctions you can buy at an auto parts store. Anyone have any luck with those?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

In Theory (I'll find the links later) you should be good. I had almost the identical thing happen only it was the L side. I had a nice get off in the rocks that tweaked the OEM Guard, Devol Guard, and Works Guard :shock: ...but the rad survived until I tried to straiten it. :roll:

I rode two more rides in 100+ degree weather and had no cooling issues, even with the pin hole leak. Never had to add water either. Just bring extra water! :wink:

I had to tear the motor apart to replace the wet side crank seal. Since the bike was down, I sent the rad. off to Mylers. I had it back in 3 days. Too bad the motor took longer than that waiting for parts.

Have fun and post a nice ride report.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

What did he charge to fix the radiator?

I just bought one used of eBay for $100.

If it's not too expensive, I'll fix this one, then re-list the spare. I wish I still had my trailer. I would just keep it and then if I ever needed it out there, I'd have it!!

Note to self: next thing to buy is a trailer like I had before.

Just a few notes since you have the '02 KX250 as well:
1. I can't get the Clarke tank to fit worth crap. The top button to attach the seat won't slide in there. I think the tank is a little mis-shapened.
2. I found the jetting with a 140 main. WOW!!! no wonder the bike ripped like a KX500. Woulda probably seized eventually, but in the little time I was tearing it up, riding up and down the street doing power wheelies and such, I never heard the ping/rattle of too lean. Only on throttle shutoff did I hear the revs speed up a little; you know, like just before a bike dies when you forget to turn on the gas. It's running fine, then it starts to rev up and you realize you left the gas off. A lean rev I call it. Well, I'd hear that when shutting the throttle off and coasting in gear. Otherwise, I'd a left the jetting there.
But for now, I set it with a 158 main, 50 pilot, NAFF needle on the #1(leanest) position, #8 slide, power jet stock, A/S 2 turns out.
3. Forks feel like they have more stiction than my last KX250. I adjusted the torque on the forks but it still feels like stiction testing statically
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

There was a drip on the KDX/CR.

After I got off the bike I put two tablespoons of Bars Leak in the radiator.

So far it has worked, maybe three hours run time.

:supz:
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Put some Triflow on the forks.

Well..unless you have some of the REAL stuff around......

Note to self: Keep ski away from my bent rads!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

140 main.... :shock: That's lean for sure! My RM250 w/ 38mm PWK is jetted with a 165 main, stock is somewhere's around 175 I think!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Stock on the KX250 for 2002 is 165. I put in a 158 with a 50 pilot, a NAFF needle on the leanest setting.

CC, I've got the real stuff. LOTS of it. It's 3M Novec EGC-1700
I have about 16 oz. of it. I say about because the bottles are labeled by weight. I have 2 bottles that have a net weight of .353 lb each.
Jerry