Pipe guard hardware

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Pipe guard hardware

Post by canyncarvr »

You folks that have either fiberglassed your own..or use the likes of the FRP guard:

Anyone with a useful spacing device to keep the guard a bit off the pipe?

If you leave it on, it will corrode the pipe in very short order. I know some take it off for this reason.

I'm wondering about maybe glassing in some 1/4" thick pipe/tubing doughnuts at the pipe clamp diameters?

Thanks!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I'm assuming that by spacing the guard away from the pipe, you're wanting water/mud to drain as opposed to remaining between the guard and the pipe.

I don't know with certainty, but wouldn't that reduce the effectiveness of the pipe guard, where the forces from an impact would be concentrated at the glass doughnuts (and the guard may actually break fairly easily with a good hit if it is not reinforced with the pipe underneath it) as opposed to providing an additional layer or "thickness" to the pipe? The guard + pipe wall = extra thick pipe, i.e. they reinforce one another. 'Just thinkin' out loud.

An alternative: how about hose clamps that can be more easily and quickly taken off? I just did a quick search for them with no luck but I know they make 'em . . . I need some for myself because I hate foolin' with the clamps as well.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|QBB|QBB<[/url]
Jeb wrote: An alternative: how about hose clamps that can be more easily and quickly taken off? I just did a quick search for them with no luck but I know they make 'em . . . I need some for myself because I hate foolin' with the clamps as well.
That would work, too. The less on the list of things to do after every ride, the better. I mean...I already take it off the trailer and roll it into the garage!

You're thinking of something like this??:

Or...

I've used the first type..I haven't seen the second type. Not sure from the pic how they release. Just from tension release on the slots?

Consider the source

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Yeah, something like what you show in the pics.

The one you used before (first pic), that's the one I've seen at work - do you think it would hold up to the jostling around?

Don't know about the second one . . .

How 'bout one with a small Destaco-clamp or similar and then a way to hold the locking lever in place? Probably would have to "fab" such a gizmo but it would work and be easy to remove/reinstall
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I got the 2nd kind on my aluminium guard and it's a pain (if not impossible ) to remove / re-install them.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Ya could stop mussing around and get a real guard

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Destaco? Fab? Gizmo? Locking lever? Huh?

How is a 'quick release' a pain to remove? Don't TELL me they don't work as advertised!! THAT has never happened before!!

Mussing?

I'm so confused....... :rolleyes:

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Why not just fire up the bike after washing it and letting the heat take care of the moisture problem?

Personally and from experiance: a spacer is just going to fill up the gap with more mud than a tight fitting guard in the first place. It's a much bigger mess in the driveway.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Firing up after cleaning works OK unless you've been in a lot of mud: the water is burned off to leave behind a layer of slimy silt - YUCK!!

CLICK FOR PICS!
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

I'm with Wibby on this one...Moose pipe guard with clamps and call it good.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure