anyone gone to 4-stroke lately? How is it compared to KDX?

Got questions? We got answers....
firffighter
Supporting Member

anyone gone to 4-stroke lately? How is it compared to KDX?

Post by firffighter »

Just wondering if anyone has gone to 4 stroke in the past? If so, what were your impressions? Anyone come back to their KDX or regret getting rid or it? I currently have a KTM200exc and have been offered a KTM 450exc and was wondering what you all think. I primarily ride tight Oregon trails with kids and my buddies. No racing, just casual trail riding. The 4-stroke being able to putt with the kids sounds nice, and the e-start sounds even nicer. Any opinions?
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Two bikes ago I owned an 04 CRF250F for two years. It is a great trail bike with plush suspension and a tractable motor. I often compared it favorably to the KDX - it kinda has the same feel about it. In really tough slow terrain the KDX is better as it handles a bit quicker and is lighter by about 15 lbs. The Honda suspension is vastly superior to the stock KDX. Prior to that bike, I rode a WR426 that I had modded for quickness. It too was a great, fun bike, but it was a heavyweight, on par with other open class four strokes. Unless you need the power, I would always recommend a 200-300 cc machine over an open-class bike. They are always easier to ride and handle better for nearly all normal riding conditions.

Hey foots, I had a DRZ400 too, pig? yes. I couldn't believe the massive power and handling difference between the WR and the DRZ, but my DRZ was an S model, so that may have been a big factor too.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Thinking about Motarding
Somethin' like this?

:supz:
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I have a 4-stroke in the garage... a 2004 CRF450R. It's a hoot. I love the thing but I spend alot of time tinkering with it and prepping it. When it's working well it's a badass bike. The power is incredible, there is just so much of it and it's smooth as butter (but once again, tons of it). I rarely go over 1/2 of the throttle and that's alot.

I still have my KDX and still love it. I will never get over the sound and feel of a 2-stroke. They are just so much fun. I've been riding my KDX around the last few days (due to an injury) and the CRF has taught me lots. I can ride much harder and more aggressively and feel comfortable on the KDX doing so. I'm not scared to use more throttle on the KDX (because there isn't near as much as on the CRF, CRF needs control).

I know where they shine. On the moto track the CRF is king, an absolute dream. In more open woods/desert riding I'd rather have the CRF as well but the tighter/rockier stuff we have up here in Flagstaff I'll take the KDX. It slightly easier to ride for extended periods of time.

I can't say which one I like more because they both have their pluses. I think I'll always be a 2 bike guy. I'm in-decisive! :partyman:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

My vehicles are 4-strokes....Unfortunately. :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

It seems that anyone I talk to seems to have the same opinion regarding 4-strokes, great in the open stuff, but a lightweight 2-stroke is much better in the woods. Guess I should stick with the 2 stroke until they kick us out of the woods.
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Hehe, I'm going to contradict myself here...

After and eye opening experience yesterday involving 2008 KTMS, myself on a 2002 KDX220 and an awesome day of riding I'm rethinking the multiple bikes idea. I'm seriously contemplating selling both my bikes right now and buying....an 08 KTM 200xc.

I really enjoy the 4-stroke power...on the MX track but everywhere else I think I could do without. After a good 35miles of fast racing(I'm a C+ rider on my CRF) I could hold my own with a B+ rider riding an 07 250SX while on my KDX. It did wonders for my confidence. But those new KTM 200s.... is like heaven on earth. 209lbs (without 2.9gal gas) and a peak HP of a 250? Oh yeah baby! After a few really good rides, I enjoy the 2smokes a hell of a lot more just about everywhere else.

So, anyone want to buy an 04 CRF450R? Or how about a 2002 KDX220R? Or maybe...BOTH! :lol: :supz:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Why no 250? I drool over the 250XC's - did you throw a leg over one?
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Yep, my buddy has one. It's all farkled out right now. Stabilizer, FMF pipes, reeds yada yada yada. It's nice, it's very 4stroke like I thought. Quite abit of torque and revved nice. The suspension was way too stiff for me but other than that I was impressed...very.

The 200 suits my style better though. Even though the 200 is only ~10ish pounds lighter it feels MUCH different. I like to ride aggressively, so standing up hanging over the bars and on the gas. The 200 doesn't have the same power characteristics of the 250s and it's much easier to twist the throttle more, it just keeps revving! The only thing I'm worried about with the XC is the somewhat close gearbox. It's top speed is only 70mph which is plenty fast for the trails but it's nice to be able to have an extra boost when riding in the desert. But that fact that the suspension will work for both competitive off-road and motocross racing is a big plus for me.

I ride with a KTM dealer often so I'm going to see what I'm looking at price wise on one. He's cut my other KTM friends a nice deal on theirs so I'm really hoping good things come out of this! :supz:

I'm racing an AMA National Hare Scramble in a few weeks. Guess what I'm racing? Yep, the KDX. I'm honestly alot faster on that than I'm on my CRF. Now it's time for some practice! 80mile ride planned for tomorrow. I shall see how long I can keep up that pace. :rolleyes:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:Guess what I'm racing? Yep, the KDX. I'm honestly alot faster on that than I'm on my CRF. Now it's time for some practice! 80mile ride planned for tomorrow. I shall see how long I can keep up that pace. :rolleyes:
That's funny - I wouldv'e assumed you'd gain a ton of speed going to the CRF, I know I'm a lot faster now on my 250 than I was when I was riding the KDX :supz:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Someday you will stop trying to talk yourself into the 250.... :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:Guess what I'm racing? Yep, the KDX. I'm honestly alot faster on that than I'm on my CRF. Now it's time for some practice! 80mile ride planned for tomorrow. I shall see how long I can keep up that pace. :rolleyes:
That's funny - I wouldv'e assumed you'd gain a ton of speed going to the CRF, I know I'm a lot faster now on my 250 than I was when I was riding the KDX :supz:
I thought I would too....nope, didn't happen really. I was faster on that at the time when I bought it but it's helped my riding alot. The thing has alot of power and you have to watch out or you flying into a tree. The KDX...yeah not so much. I can twist the throttle and be in the powerband and just rail it. I can't say that it's lighter but the weight is in different areas on the KDX. It feels lighter but then again there is alot of rotating mass on the CRF.

The CRF has done wonders for my confidence though. It turns effortlessly and by doing that I feel comfortable riding faster and I trust the bike more. It seems that the KDX is a playbike compared to the CRF and I push it harder.

Besides, I think I like two strokes more anyways for 90% of the stuff. There is something about having a screaming engine underneath that makes riding just so much fun!

There are acouple reasons I'm not really looking for a 250 right now. Price, weight and the power. I felt more comfortable with the spread. I'm not a big guy either (150lbs) so it'll have power to spare. There is this one kid in AMRA (Arizona racing series) who rides a KTM200 in the A class and he's getting in the top 25% racing guys with 450s and 250st.
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

The 250XCWe is my dream bike! Not because of the electric start mind you (that is nice though), but because of the improvements that make the bike more trail friendly, namely the softer suspension over last year's model. Those bikes just ooze quality...
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Just did an awesome 35 miles yesterday on tight single track with my brother (nicely moded KDX200) and cousin (XR250). After a short warm-up, it got pretty competitive railing through tight terrain with whoever was in the lead trying to loose the guys behind. I had just installed a FWW on my KTM200 and boy did I notice a big difference. I have spent all summer trying to tone down the motor on this bike, and I weigh 220lbs. With the FWW the bike makes a perfect woods weapon with almost all of the tight sections able to do in 3rd gear and pull all hills in 3rd as well.

I switched off with my brother and rode his KDX and then another section with my cousin's XR. First off, the KDX and XR are much more comfortable if and when you sit down. They each have a lower center and seem to force you back into the seat, whereas the KTM pushes you into a more aggressive riding position. Next, the KDX has a more electric powerband that is smoother than the KTM which is nice, but the KTM has more power on tap ready to go at the twist of the throttle. The KDX and XR suspensions are much softer and soak up the roots and rocks well, but when you get to high speed sections the KTM shines. The KTM turns much quicker than both of these bikes by a mile.

I will get the chance to ride a '07 WR250 in a couple of weeks to compare, but right now, I still like the KTM.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Not much need to upgrade if you're on a KTM 200 if ya ask me :wink:
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

I've never heard anyone say a WR250 was an upgrade from a 200EXC! :rolleyes:
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
wanaride wrote:I've never heard anyone say a WR250 was an upgrade from a 200EXC! :rolleyes:
Don't forget that this is coming from someone "upgrading" from a good, trustworthy workin KDX to a ugly yellow zuk that kick you in the leg every chance it gets... :mrgreen:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I'm not sure 'wanaride' is the guy that went to the zuk...

You call this ugly??

Sure did bite me in the ass though!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

You call this ugly??
yep
:lol:
the color is way too yellow for my taste :mrgreen:

When do you expect getting back on the bike?
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Not exactly sure, I'd have to guess January at the earliest, but I'm not going to do too much until I'm 100%, so I figure no real riding until about March. We'll see how fast I recover though!