anyone gone to 4-stroke lately? How is it compared to KDX?

Got questions? We got answers....
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Your handguards are really low....

I rode 76 miles on the KDX yesterday. It wasn't until mile 50 that I felt comfortable and then it was only spurts for 1/4miles at a time. It was even the cause of a crash! I was standing up and my boot got caught on one of the shrouds (yes it was the KDX's fault, NEVER happens on any other bike! :lol: ). Well I couldn't turn and I went dead straight into a large beachball sized rock. I did a very nice superman over the bars and slid across the ground. Durn you KDX! :lol: :rolleyes:

I rode an 05 YZ125 today for about an hour.....damn those are fun! They are really quite capable in the woods too, I was suprised how able to lug they were. I was practicing my whips as well. :wink: :cool: If I can find my camera I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow, I was even trying them on the KDX! :lol: :supz: It was kind of pathetic actually... :partyman:
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Yeah, I never mentioned it was an upgrade, just that I would be riding my buddies as a comparison. For some applications here in Oregon a small 4 stroke has advantages. Most of what we ride is super tight and steep.

I have ridden the his WR on a short lap around a mile or 2 loop and it is pretty nice ride. The suspension is better than my KTM's for sure. KTM has struggled at times with trail friendly suspensions. The e-start is advantageous in the tight stuff as well. Where the KTM shines is its light weight and quick turning.

I dont am looking forward to running my KTM vs the WR back to back on some tough single track. I would be tough to leave orange and go blue though.
'
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

What year 200 do you have?

Check this out, how cool would this be?! http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showth ... ight=yz200
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

YZ200SX? I've seen that before - cool machine, but the owner's MIA!

IMO the 250 2ST is the perfect bike for me. I'm a mix of MX and Woods, I'll be racing both by next spring. I'm better at woods riding and I enjoy it more, but with only >10 hrs at the track, I'm likin it more and more and getting much faster.

Thing is nasty though. 10-12 lbs lighter than the KDX was, and it makes 45ish RWHP with a stab of the clutch - apparently it can get you into trouble :roll:

Sure would love to have a 200XC to throw around some trees though :supz:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:What year 200 do you have?

Check this out, how cool would this be?! http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showth ... ight=yz200
How do you like 250F's for woods? I rode an 07 CRF450R... I'm no small guy either, 220lbs w/o gear, but I much prefer a 250F to a 450 in the woods. I think the 250F is plenty of power & torque.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

RE: Your handguards are really low....

That was before I put my handguards on. I then Zip-tied those yellow plastic ones to my aluminum bark busters :

Triple post!!!
Ondatrail

Post by Ondatrail »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote: Triple post!!!
had to break it
I am the Night Rider! I’m a fuel injected suicide machine! I am a rocker, I am a roller, I am the out-of-controller
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:What year 200 do you have?

How do you like 250F's for woods? I rode an 07 CRF450R... I'm no small guy either, 220lbs w/o gear, but I much prefer a 250F to a 450 in the woods. I think the 250F is plenty of power & torque.
They are all right, honestly I didn't think they were too powerfull but I'm also at 7k in elevation and jetting was slightly off.

I rode the 450 some today....it jumps nice and is smooth but it's not much fun. My buddy and I switched bikes and I kick my own ass on his YZ125. In the tight bar banging stuff I own him but as soon as it gets into more flowing trails his MX background kicks in and he's right on my tail again. Those small super quick revving bikes are so much fun IMO...

Off-topic but I was riding with Joe Hengeveld today (Steve Hengevelds brother, you know Baja1000 champ etc) and he's now on an 08 KTM 450XCF. We asked him how he liked it and he says "I'm surprised. This thing out of the box is on par with my Hondas, and those Hondas are $15,000 bikes". Holy crap! He's as good if not better than Steve in alot of areas and that guys just flys. We just sat back and watched him pound out laps, sooo fast.
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Aside from a KDX motor in a KX125 frame with KX250 suspnsion, a YZ125 frame with a WR250 motor is the ticket.

The old 2 stroke WR250.

Like this

thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Yeah, that guy did a totally amazing conversion. Too bad it was stolen..
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

WOW, I'd say that's WAY too much work as the 250 is hardly any bigger to begin with.....Now to go to a new-style frame I guess I can understand that. FYI...a 98 YZ250 is the last year where the trans is the same as the 93-95 YZ/94-96 WR....IE 94-96 WR trans gearset will go into a 98 trans....For this I've considered shopping for a '98 YZ as the frame ergo's are quite more modern...

'Coursee I guess the guy above hit the nail on the head....I could pick up a newer YZ 250 rolling chassis, and just stick my motor in there.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote: . . . I rode an 05 YZ125 today for about an hour.....damn those are fun! They are really quite capable in the woods too, I was suprised how able to lug they were . . .
Has anyone had the chance to ride a 144 (bored-out 125)? They interest me because - depending on who is chosen to perform the work - you can have your jug ported for more low-to-mid power, in essence a 125 with good low end. Eric Gorr offers this and it's not too expensive; my thought was to find an '01-'04 YZ125 for bottom dollar, get the EG work done, buy some gold valves for the forks and the shocks and have a heck of a second woods bike that would be a better choice than the KDX on the track when I'm tagging along with my youngin' . . . I wouldn't wanna be doing doubles and such with the suspension set up that way but frankly I'm not a doubles kind of guy, just wanna' have a more handling-capable bike on the track.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I was actually extremely impressed with the suspension on the YZ125. My friend has it completely stock (except for minor clicker adjustments) and it handles just as well if not better than my KDX in the rocks and totally better than it when jumping.

But I am only a buck 50 and my friend is the same as well so we're on the lower scale of things. He's going to get it bored out 144 some time soon, I'm looking forward to trying it after that mod.