Why a KX frame?

Got questions? We got answers....
T-Roy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by T-Roy »

I love my KDX, and since I can't get anything for it, I will probably keep it for a long time. However, I have no issues with multiple rides in the garage. It's my wife that fails to understand my logic.

She had better hope I never go impotent, OR things are going to change around here! :twisted:
2001 KDX 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

According to the Honda website, the CRF250X is 228 pounds. That may be like saying a KDX is 223, but that is what is listed. The CRF250R (MX version) is listed at 204 pounds.

Dirt Rider magazine has an article on the 250 4-stroke off-road bikes vs. a KTM 200EXC. They went for the KTM. They said the power is "right now" vs. the 4-strokes' power style. You all may find it an interesting article.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I've got that magazine... It's really a no brainer on that verdict. I think we all would prefer the 2 stroker.... Just stating the obvious for us. :?
I did really love my stripped 85 XL350 though... til I got a taste of the other side. Let's see ...lighter, snappier, still lug it.... gotta be the KDX! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

"I've got that magazine... It's really a no brainer on that verdict. I think we all would prefer the 2 stroker"

No bias from any of us! :lol: I couldn't be a magazine test rider.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I would have to see the scales that showed a stock KDX and a stock Honda 250X weighing roughly the same. I just might be, but I would have to see it for myself.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I would like to see them scaled too, but those new 4-strokes are super-light when comparing them to older style motors. That's where most of the technology is. Well, that and the valvetrain. They have to be comparable in weight to a 2-stroke to be able to compete(regardless of the whole displacement thing). Plus, that's an aluminum framed bike.

Unfortunately, A KDX while being one awesome motorcycle is still '95 technology. Not that I think it's really THAT out of date, but it could've certainly taken on some weight shaving as well as some other tweaks over the years....
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

KX's still have steel frames. Honda pioneered the aluminum framed bikes several years ago and the others are still able to compete against them with steel frames. I personally would rather have the strength of the steel in my mind but, the lighter materials are coming into play now and it is starting to be more common in the 4 stroke models. This is the only way they can get the weight down to 2 stroke levels.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Weight is a consideration, to be sure, but so is reliability. I know I've added several pounds to my bike in order to increase the odds it will make it back to the truck. A skid plate, pipe guard, disc guards, hand guards, steel clutch plates, extra fuel, tools, spare tube, kick stand, kick starter, etc.....
Then there is my riding gear, I swear I'm going rupture something carrying that gear bag down out the garage rafters every time I go riding. There has to be another 20 lbs there.
The technology used to reduce the weight in 4 strokes have no consideration to reliability. In fact, I would guess that in almost every instance that a 4 stroke's part was redesigned to save weight, it's reliablity was reduced as well.
Those areas that have improved technology without reducing reliability, i.e. suspension, should be incorporated into the KDX. For example, there's no excuse not to employ the USD forks on the KDX since the parts are off the shelf and the old forks can be removed from manufacture. That's got to help reduce costs too.

****EDIT****

On that same train of thought, Kawasaki better start working on getting their bikes upgraded and fast. The last enduro here had over 300 motorcycles entered. 3 were Kawasaki's. Only three. 1, 2, 3. That's all. This year, 2005, they removed from their line-up, their touring bike; the Voyager. It was the exact same bike, part for part, from 1986 until 2004. The only change was color. Any part off any year Voyager XII will fit any other Voyager exactly. Now rumor out of Germany is that Kawasaki is testing a new touring bike but for godsake why drop a product from the lineup for even a season and force buyers to look at the competition? If they do introduce a new touring bike in 2006, then they have lost a whole year of being in the touring bike market. I just don't understand their marketing at all. And it's obvious that their marketing is driving their engineering. At this rate, Kawasaki will go the way of the Hodaka and other bikes that faded away.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I LOVED HODAKA'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :razz: Had a Ace in the 70's and a Wombat in the 80's..... Awesome bikes.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

"In fact, I would guess that in almost every instance that a 4 stroke's part was redesigned to save weight, it's reliablity was reduced as well. "

That shows what you know! You only have to change the rings in a Honda CRF250X every 15 hours of race speed engine running or 25 of normal riding. :mrgreen: They should make people take a top end class before they get a modern 4 stroke racing bike, just like people have to take a class on ATV's.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I had a Dirt Squirt!!!!

Man Jason, If I had to change rings that often on my KDX, I'd be changing them about every 60 days or so. I saw a pictorial in one of the dirt bike mags that detailed the top end job on a honda. The time to read from start to finish: 3 manly trips to the "Library". My butt went numb trying to get through it in one "sitting" if you get my drift.
Jerry