Lighting and Stator upgrade questions...

Got questions? We got answers....
JMETTEER

Lighting and Stator upgrade questions...

Post by JMETTEER »

I am in the process of doing some research for electrical upgrades to my KDX220. It will eventually be street legal so I need some extra juice. It also needs to be wired for a small battery so the lights stay on without the bike running, a state law. I have a Baja designs DS kit that I will be using for the wiring, turn signals, horn, ect.

I am looking for sugestions on decent 35w headlight setups, DOT approved if possible. Maybe a replacement lens for the KDX housing?

Also some info on stator upgrades. It looks like my options are:

Freddette Racing: 85w $125

Baja Designs: 75w $90-$150

Electrosport: 75w $149

Moose Racing: 65w $149

Anyone have any opinions on these? Any that stand out as better or that I should stay away from? To go along with these I will be getting a Trailtech regulator/rectifier for the dc conversion.

What about helmet lights, who is using what? I can't decide between the trail tech dual MR11's with one spot and one flood or the SCMR16 in spot to go with the bike light. I will be using these for trail riding, sweep riding for a local 24 hour race and maybe a 6 hour race or night enduro next year. I am hoping to extend my winter rides a bit. :grin:

Later,
Jake Metteer <<< click for pictures.
03 WR250F
88 KDX220 (Plated!!)

"Everything you read on the Internet is true, I know because I read it on the Internet"
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

"local 24 hour race," you talking about Starvation Ridge? If so I will be there.

On lighting, I have a feeling that all the coils listed above are all made by the same company (electrex?), but I could be entirely wrong. I have a 75w coil, and my UFO twins (a 50 w and 25w) go pretty dim at idle. At the 24hr, I crank the idle up so I don't get too much dimming when I chop the throttle.

I have a cyclops 35W halogen helmet light, that I run off a battery. It works great, really a necessity at night.

I want to replace my UFO twins with the UFO Halogen Ray, so I can get a real reflector and use real automotive bulbs (at 55w automotive bulb would reduce my dimming too). The MR16's are kind of a joke for a headlight. I think the UFO "Oregon" is DOT.

If you search, I inquired about converting to DC awhile ago, it is a bit more invloved than I originally thought. I you lose some power too. check this thread: http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)