Shifter fix

Got questions? We got answers....
MXOldtimer

Shifter fix

Post by MXOldtimer »

Did I have a bad shifter or was I just stupid and it took me this long to make it work?

I couldn't rotate my shifter high enough. The shifter was probably an inch & a half below the peg and just made shifting a nightmare. It's hard to see in the photo but you can see how low my shifter was and that was as high as I could put it.

If I rotated it up to peg height the shifter where it tightened onto the tranny shaft would hit a casting on the engine and I couldn't up shift.

So today I pulled it off and took a look and went to the grinder and removed some metal.

And waaaaaaahhhhhhhlllllllaaaaaaaahhhhhh! I'm able to raise the shifter to peg height and it shifts fine. :mrgreen:

kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

That puppy looks like it's been bent pretty bad straight down at some time - no wonder you had problems getting it to fit. The one that came on my bike was bent in a similar fashion.

I'm still thinking about getting the clarke tank.. how do you feel the tank works in terms of grabbing it between your legs and also moving forward on over it compared to the stock unit.

I use an 89 KX250 shifter, I think most KX units will work but the early ones fit better.

http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules/albu ... /loop1.jpg
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote: I use an 89 KX250 shifter, I think most KX units will work but the early ones fit better.

http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules/albu ... /loop1.jpg
Good tip Gumby! I see older-model KX parts fairly frequently on ebay.

Say, you don't know if any of the KX rear brake pedals will fit on a KDX do ya?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote:That puppy looks like it's been bent pretty bad straight down at some time - no wonder you had problems getting it to fit. The one that came on my bike was bent in a similar fashion.
Nope it's never been bent. I even bought the bike in the crate (avatar) so if it was bent it was done in the factory. I tried to adjust the shifter up even before I rode the bike, I think I got a shifter that was simply made wrong. I'm gonna check into a KX shifter, might try the one from the KXF and see how close it comes to work'n.
The Clarke tank is slightly wider than stock and you really don't notice the height over the stock tank. They did a very good job of adding volume with out the bulk.
Last edited by MXOldtimer on 07:16 pm Oct 03 2007, edited 1 time in total.
GS

Post by GS »

Thanks for the useful comments on the Clarke tank.

Sounds encouraging. :wink:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Is it just me or you have the fork saver on the upper part of you usd fork? :blink:
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:Is it just me or you have the fork saver on the upper part of you usd fork? :blink:
Those are the "LONG" ones from Tusk. They go about 1&1/2" over the slider and cover the entire upper tube.

scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Yhea but from the pic, it doesn't seem like it covers much of the lower tube at all...just curious that's all.
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

Is this better.
I guess you could run it the other way but I wouldn't want 10+ inches of tight neoprene binding my slider on compression.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|QBB<[/url]
MXOldtimer wrote:Is this better.
I guess you could run it the other way but I wouldn't want 10+ inches of tight neoprene binding my slider on compression.
I've run these on a few bikes and I like to buy the long ones and then cut them into two equal length short ones. Ends up giving you 4 short length socks - enough to run on two bikes or put the second long one away until you tear or wear out one of the covers your using.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

My fork upper tubes were pretty faded and need to be recoated. Look'd like someone tried to polish one tube up with a brillo pad or something which only made things look worse. I originally bought the long ones to cover the upper tubes until I got them hard anodized. After I got them on I liked the look and don't need to recoat the tubes now. :mrgreen: A cheap quick fix that ended up look'n good.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

RE: brake pedals

I have ski's KX250 rear brake pedal on my KDX. Tried to make my own bushing to fit..didn't work. Had one made. Viola. As nice as the O-ring protected KX mount? No. As good as the goofy steel-on-steel of the OEM KDX. Yep.

Seal savers?

They generally look like this:

The point is to protect the inner tube..keep it from nicking, scratching, keeps mud and dust out..and thus protects the seals.

Having an inch hanging over won't do that, but, to each his own. My particular own is to keep the inner tube as clean and damage free as possible. One rock in the wrong spot...and you're screwed if the inner tubes aren't protected.

Cutting them in half for double doody use is OK...if you stake the 'raw' end. Otherwise, they'll split much sooner.

Ha! I didn't even notice them on the upper tube in the pic. I was looking at the shifter!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

>|QBB<[/url]
canyncarvr wrote:RE: brake pedals

Seal savers?

They generally look like this:

The point is to protect the inner tube..keep it from nicking, scratching, keeps mud and dust out..and thus protects the seals.

Having an inch hanging over won't do that, but, to each his own. My particular own is to keep the inner tube as clean and damage free as possible. One rock in the wrong spot...and you're screwed if the inner tubes aren't protected.

!

I'll politely disagree.
The Tusk ones I ordered even have the mounting directions for the upper tubes.
Even the seal saver brand has them mounted on the upper tube.

Like I said I wouldn't want 10-11" of tight neoprene binding my forks on compression.

But like you said, to each their own.
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

Does the shifter mod keep it from coming loose ?
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

That's another reason to run conventional forks. Also there seals last longer
Nothing wrong w/ conventional forks...In fact I'm sure a GOOD set would be the best for the woods. The problem is the fact that the KDX stockers are far from 'good.' We wouldn't be talking about all these fork swaps if they came with conventional Showas.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

>|<>QBB<
krazyinski wrote:Does the shifter mod keep it from coming loose ?
Of course not.

I even think it says in the Bible. "On the seventh day God rested but, he still carried his 10mm."

scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Like I said I wouldn't want 10-11" of tight neoprene binding my forks on compression
I doubt 10" of neoprene would cause any significant binding. I personnaly use 4-5" and don't have any trouble.
To each their own :wink:
art5

Post by art5 »

you can install either brake lever, grind off the welded pin the factory lever slides over, then drill and tap the hole to match the bolt in pin the kx uses, after you tap the hole and install the kx pin put a nut on the other side this isnsures it stays in place, works quite well,
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|QBB|QBB<[/url]

I'll politely disagree.
The Tusk ones I ordered even have the mounting directions for the upper tubes.
Even the seal saver brand has them mounted on the upper tube.

Like I said I wouldn't want 10-11" of tight neoprene binding my forks on compression.

But like you said, to each their own.[/quote]

So what's the point?

Protecting your upper tubes ?

Seems kinda funky, donut?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS