Has Any 95 & Newer Owner Had Their Fork Cartridge Out?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Has Any 95 & Newer Owner Had Their Fork Cartridge Out?

Post by KDXGarage »

To anyone who has '95 and newer KDX conventional (right side up) forks, have you ever had the cartridge out? If so, did it look like this?

Thanks.

Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Reasonable question.

I have had mine apart more'n once. Sad to say...but I couldn't tell you if what you picture is exactly the same or not. I just took 'em apart, replaced seals/sliders, cleaned 'em...put 'em back together. Can't say all those parts pictured look familiar.

..and that's your unreasonable answer!

Sorry!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you for your reply. I am curious as to how the '95 and newer fork cartridges look. I am trying to get a heads up of what to expect whenever wsjkawasaki and I work on his forks in a few weeks. After changing my fork oil without taking the cartridges out (and apart), I saw what is left behind when I later took the cartridges out and apart. I didn't ride on the forks between oil change and taking them apart again, and there was some gunk in there. I have encouraged wsjkawasaki to get the FRP tool so we can take his fork cartridges out. If they look the same, then I can start harping on taking the cartridges apart to inspect the bushings and get them cleaned even better.

I know the big silver part is a little different. That is where the cartridge holding tool fits on the '93 and '94 forks.

Thanks again.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

No need for a cartridge holding tool if you have air. Loosen the base valve first. Compress on the fork some...smack it with your 14mm pnuematic impact...you don't have to hold nuthin'.

zip zip!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yep, I have heard of that. I don't know how tight the Race Tech guy tightened my base valves, but I got them out with the tool and a 1/2" breaker bar and 14mm hex bit socket.

On my forks, the tool was most needed when disassembling the cartridges. The base valve has to be removed to take out the cartridge. On mine, I don't really see a way to disassemble the cartridge while the base valve is installed. Well, unless one has a cartridge vise clamp, which I don't. The way I did it, the base valve has to be out. It was quite secure. Japan may be running low on grease, but they have a strong reserve of Loc-Tite! :lol: