An old man has a bad memory

Got questions? We got answers....
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

An old man has a bad memory

Post by skipro3 »

This is mostly for Rob AKA QuailChaser.

Can you give me info on your jetting and that kickstand you have on your KX250?

Anyone else have info like this, I'd appreciate it. I remember I had a fist full of jets and needles, can't remember what I ran.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

A buddy made the kickstand. There was someone selling some on Ebay a couple of years ago.

My current jetting is:
Main = 162 (165 stock)
Pilot = 52 (55 stock)
Needle = NAFF #2
A/S = 1 1/2
Elevation = ~1600' to 4000'
Temps= 80 to 95 degrees
VforceIII
SLP powere Pack
TurbineCore 2 SA silencer
FMF Gnarly

The motor is fresh top to bottom and now fully broken in. This jetting is a tad rich, but as the temps fall, it should be good. I get the dreaded spoo, but she rips when you flick the throttle. I'm almost certain it's the pump gas that contributes to the spoo. I believe you're settings were a tad different. Lets reminisque.

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:Nice report on the KX. I've got TONS of jetting info, and TONS of jets too; needles, mains, and pilots. Right now I'm running 160 main, 50 pilot and NAFF needle on the leanest clip. This is good from sea level to 3000 feet (maybe a little more depending on air temps) I've been using the JD software to dink with what jetting to ride at 6000+ feet but have yet to try it out.
As far as stalling, get an AUTO-CLUTCH!!!! No stalling at any speed. It's an awesome product. The stock gearing is too tall for trail riding; I knocked my CS sprocket down one tooth and that makes the KX first gear about like the KDX 2nd gear. Some chat on the other site about stealing a 1st and 2nd gear from the earlier model KX250 to make a nice wide gearbox, but the autoclutch saves you the trouble.
Kickstand: There's a guy on eBay out of Nevada that builds them. I bought one but it was a tad short so I cut it in half and welded a short section in there. Now I have a kickstand!!!
I've gotta say, I really don't expect to be riding my KDX any more. I know, strong words, but that's how much I've come to really appreciate the handling and power of the KX250. Don't worry; the KDX is always going to be around for the guys who want to come riding with me. BTW, 70 degrees after a brief rain; it's awesome here right now for riding. Sure wish someone would take me up on my offer to ride the hills around here with me!!
>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:First things last: Try a fly wheel weight to get better hook up when blipping the throttle for lift. 'Course I don't need a FFW cause I have AUTOCLUTCH!!!!. The FFW will assist with preventing the stalling out problems too.

My elevations are about the same as yours. Nothing wrong with that needle profile unless you want to jet it for higher elevations. For 3000 to 6000 feet I run this:

50 pilot, N3WG clip #2 needle, 155 main. Slide and power jet are left alone. This will be an "across the board" leaning of your jetting. If you are fine on top, then this might lean out the top too much for you, but I doubt it.

Try going to the other site and do a search on N3WE or on KX250. The info is not much, but some good stuff. They like the N3WE but the N3WG leans out the 1/16 to 1/8 throttle better and I ride lots of times with the throttle just barely cracked.

Find the JD jetting guide Inda posted up here somewhere as a zip file. That is a boon for playing with jetting possibilities.

****EDIT****
BTW, I just received a NAFH needle I'll be experimenting with as well.
BTW, damn glad to have you back! :partyman: I've almost picked up an '04 Husqvarna WR250 in your honor. Still may do it. It has an electric motor.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

After posting this thread, I also found the old info. I'm starting a new binder for this bike, like I've done for all my bikes before.

I'm going to start with the following:
3,000-8,000 ft elev 155main, 50pilot, N3WG Needle, 2nd clip position, Stock power jet, stock slide.

0-3,000 ft elev 160, 50, NAFF, 1st, stock, stock

Ordered the V-Force III. It has the P.C. Works pipe w/ turbine core 2.

That kickstand on eBay works for the '99 thru '01. The '02 was a little too tall. I bought one, welded an extension on, and bent it to fit behind the sideplate since it was so long, it would snag everything. Sure wish that billet company made one for this bike. They are trick. (But pricey)

Now, on to fork settings.
What year is your bike and how did you set up your forks? I disabled the bladders in mine but can't remember oil viscosity, level and shim stack as well as the comp/rebound adjustments.

Let's go riding!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Mines an '02. Yep, no bladders. Suspension is not my thing. :oops: I had the forks revalved when I first got the bike. I played with the compression clickers and found that all the way out and rebound at 2 clicks faster than OEM setting worked the best for what I was riding. This worked good in the faster stuff and C range trails. It was inconsistant in the way it handles rocks.

Jeremy Wilkey from MX Tech was in town this last week at the suspension shop next door. I asked him to revalve and rebuild the forks. He found some issues with the way the previous person did the valving. :evil: He set the clickers right in the middle after the revalve and rebuild. I rode the bike out to my truck, and I didn't even notice rolling over the parking stub. :mrgreen: Curious to see how they work over rock after rock. I'll have to play with them and see where I end up with the clickers.
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

You should bring the beast up to Flagstaff before it gets too cold to ride. I can give you a tour that'll test out your new re-valved suspension on every kind of terrain. Well maybe not, we don't have too many sand washes up north...

Whaddya say? A nice mellow Sunday ride in the cool pines?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I would love to have Jeremy come for a visit and do my forks. You DOG!!!

You completely removed the bladders or just took the retaining springs off them. How did that affect oil volume if you completely removed?

How about anyone else with the 2002 forks? Save me the grief of learning how to do it all over again and tell me what you did to your forks to set the stack.
Jerry

quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:I would love to have Jeremy come for a visit and do my forks. You DOG!!!
He didn't do it for free. :wink: Jeremy is a great guy. The suspension shop was aquired by Jeremy at the beginning of this year to be his West Coast Shop. He happened to be in town running the shop while his manager was out.

As far as the bladder....I believe the bladders are gone, but I could be totally wrong. Could just be the spring removal thing? I'll ask tommorrow.

Stack and stuff...that's why I take it to the suspension guy. :wink:
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

thanks for checking. I assumed he didn't do it for free. You aren't his type! :wink: :wink:
Jerry

quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:You should bring the beast up to Flagstaff before it gets too cold to ride. I can give you a tour that'll test out your new re-valved suspension on every kind of terrain. Well maybe not, we don't have too many sand washes up north...

Whaddya say? A nice mellow Sunday ride in the cool pines?
Somehow the summer slipped by and I didn't get up there. :? I'd love to get up there, but I don't see it happening until summer. The kids have sports on the weekends, and very shortly we are going to have to start Crusher III planning. :mrgreen:
I assumed he didn't do it for free. You aren't his type!
How do you know I'm is not his type? :?
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Married with kids? Then either you aren't his type or he's not your type, or you are both moving to San Francisco soon and eloping.
Jerry