Radiator Guards

Got questions? We got answers....
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Radiator Guards

Post by skythrasher »

I trashed a radiator and want to run some guards. Which guards do you guys like best?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I run both the Devol and the Works Connection. Devol guard prevents things from poking holes in the radiator and to a lesser extent, crushing blows from hard crashes. The Works Connection prevents bends due to drops, but does nothing for things wanting to poke into the front of the radiator.
MSR makes a nice Devol style for $35 on eBay. Devol costs more like $60. Works is also around $60. Being able to ride back to the staging area after a hard crash, priceless!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I run both the MSR and the Works Connection, for the same reasons, also gives you great confidence to charge through the under brush when you miss the corner.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
RTSinDallas

Post by RTSinDallas »

I DNF my last race, because I clipped a small tree or big vine. Folded my left radiator back. It tore the hose, but I was able to bend and straighten the radiator, kinda, back in place. So, now I'm also in the market for some good guards/braces.

RT
2000 KDX 200
1993 XR600R
1992 WXC 360
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Yeah I plan to guard mine too - The Works Braces run like $55 and maybe $30 for a set of guards up front
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Funny thing is, Works Connection is just down the road from me. I drive right by it every day to get to the freeway. They won't sell me anything.

Guts Racing is right around the corner from Works. They'll sell anything I hear but I've not stopped in. Both are pretty small buildings, it is hard to believe they do the volume of business they do.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

Always nice to to get a set of guards on after you bend up your rads :roll:
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I have some braces on mine that seem pretty whimpy. I saw some on a KTM once that looked like the ticket. They were made out of the same thickness stock as handguards, and wrapped around the outer perimeter of the rad. They looked mighty beefy. after the crash I had today though, I must admit I was surprised mine held up.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
RTSinDallas

Post by RTSinDallas »

Always nice to to get a set of guards on after you bend up your rads

Hey! I never had this problem with the XR600 :grin: Actually I had never even come close to damaging a radiator before this, on any of my water cooled bikes. Even if I had the guards on, I don't know how much they would have helped. It wasn't a drop, but a 20 mph side swipe. Didn't hit the bars or me, and didn't put me on the ground. I hit it, road away and smelled that sweet smell of defeat (antifreeze). They weren't on my list of must do mods, until now. Live and learn.

RT
2000 KDX 200
1993 XR600R
1992 WXC 360
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Here's a stock KX250.

They come with braces

Jerry

skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

I like to do everything after-the-fact. It is simply my nature to do everything the hard way. Actually I ran a stick through the radiator while riding at Mill Creek in NW AR on my birthday. The wife had told me to make a list of things I would like to have and the guards were on that list. Guess I should have put them closer to the top of the list. Oh well, I'm telling everyone its her fault.
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:Here's a stock KX250.

They come with braces
I have those, the works connction, and the devols on the KX. Still ended up having to send a rad. to Mylers...but, I was able to finish the ride with only a tiny weeping and a radiatior shroud tweaked way out. I'd have been SOL had I not been running the Works guards along with the OEM KX250 ones.

Some great guys in Kansas make the best stuff--Flatland Racing--unfortunantly you have to own a KTM, Honda or Yamaha. Alan's a great guy. Maybe someone in KS could take a KDX to him and get the ball rolling. Cept they aint cheap. :wink:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC