Injuries and more injuries

Got questions? We got answers....
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Injuries and more injuries

Post by wanaride »

It may just be me, but it seems like all I hear or read about in dirtbike websites/magazines lately are dirtbike related injuries.

Every issue of Cycle News has stories about more and more people getting paralyzed, or even killed, from dirtbike injuries. The Road2Recovery site is quite sobering. And it isn't just the pros or freestyle guys either, just look at recent posts on this site (sorry Jeb and 2001KDX) for more proof.

I know this is a dangerous hobby and I know about mitigating risks and I know I'm "taking my chances" and blah blah blah, but MAN, sometimes I question ever throwing a leg over my bike. And now I am really second guessing getting my kids into it.

Maybe I just need a hug. :grin: Or maybe I'm becoming a puss. Am I the only one who has ever second guessed any of this?
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

I don't know if it's any worse than it ever was, but todays bikes are way faster, instill more rider confidence, and people are doing WAY crazier stuff on them than ever before. I think the chances of getting hurt are probably about the same, but the chances of being injured badly are higher because of the reasons I listed.
My 2 cents worth,
Joe
'01 KDX200
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

No, you're not the only one (at least as far as the kiddos are concerned) . . .

there IS inherent danger in this sport. And just like all of the other sports that have their varying levels of inherent danger, improper training, improper gear, and a general lack of caution (carelessness) means injury in the long run.

My opinions:

First, the kiddos. Best protective gear, and all of it, and all of the time. I think we HAVE to resist the urge to urge them on too much too soon. My oldest is on his third year of riding and has progressed well. He even raced this summer. That said, the racing was more about participation than racing or winning. That might come later, but who cares if it doesn't. My opinion: I don't understand the parents that push their kids at these races and at the track, it just flat out doesn't make sense. A whole different breed of people out there that take this thing as serious as they do with the little ones.

Now, for us "grownups". I don't think we'll ever get away with having some fun with this without taking some risks. That said, save for the wilder ones among us that can't resist dares, challenges, and impractical feats, I think those risks are relatively small if we use common sense and the right gear and spend time trying to improve technique. I am, BTW, referring to us "play" riders who ride for pleasure.

Ever heard of a grownup playing basketball with the guys that tore his acl? YEP, me too! Was he taking unnecessary risks? Probably not. I don't think I was taking unnecessary risks when I buggered up my knee, either. 'Just poor technique, sticking my foot to the ground when it was unwise to do so.

THAT'LL TEACH ME!!

BTW, it doesn't hurt to mention that having your fun on a kdx is in itself a good judgment call!! No offense to those well-seasoned individuals who ride them 250's and such.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Probably no more risk in riding than anything else. Just that now, in the instant information age, it's easier to hear bout such things happening. I'd be willing to guess, that in most instances, the rider wasn't wearing proper riding gear, good fitting and in good repair too. Or they were doing something stupid. Or drinking. Or on a new ride unfamiliar with them. Blah, Blah, Blah.

I say it's been more dangerous for me to be sleeping in my Lazy Boy on a Sunday afternoon, than I've ever had dirt bike riding. (Surely everyone knows the story by now about that)

Use common sense in all things and you will be doing all you can to live a long life. It's not just about survival you know. And you aren't gonna cheat death either. Sooner or later, it's curtains. My good friend is in the hospital with six broken ribs and a split skull from falling off a 6' ladder while pruning a tree. I'm just saying, you never know when or where, so enjoy life and make it count for something!!
Troy's brain was shoved back in, and stapled shut. Bad photo, but those are steel staples there. It took about 30 or so to close him back up.

Me, Troy (In Bed) and Barry, my general contractor. Besides being one of my best friends, Troy works for Barry and built much of my new house.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Thanks guys, this is a good reality check.

Jerry, as for your friend who fell off that ladder, OUCH!!! Man that sucks!

All of this reminds me of a TV show that told the story of a young 20-something woman who was at a friends house for a party. While standing on the sundeck talking with friends, the deck gave way and the resulting collapse caused her to become permanently paralyzed. How dangerous is standing? At that day and time and place, VERY.

You never know what will happen, but living scared is not living, it is just waiting to die. Wear safety gear, use common sense, be right with God and just have fun!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Yup, get right with the Lord. Gotta ask yourself, If I were to die today, do I know where I'm going? Then do something about that if you don't know.

Troy is doing much better now. He turned 50 in the hospital, which wasn't too fun, but after he got out, my wife and I took him and his wife to dinner at the Crab Shack along the Sacramento River. Man! That crab was the best!! Now is the time to enjoy life. Yea!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Amen brother!!!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

practice and training reduces the chances of both mishap and serious injury IMO. Beware dust and the moment...but that comes from experience too.
My life today revolves around controlling pain due to a get-off when I went over a cliff about 10 years ago. I now have loose and arthritic sacroiliac joints - very painfull and life-style limiting. It doesn't take a 250 or more to get ya, I was on a KDX at the time going way too fast for the conditions at hand. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose... but at least it's on your own terms. (That incident is one reason I now would not own a KDX without USD forks installed). duh

My son is still recovering from a multiple-break ankle injury from falling off a ladder about 2 months ago, it was improperly set up by a friend, while my son was up pruning a tree. My neighbors are recovering from a heinous car wreck caused by a road-rage incident. They both nearly died.

shazaam...what a dangerous world!
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Two words:

BE SAFE.

Whether this be your gut instinct or your insatiable need for knowledge regarding the sport....

BE SAFE.
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I have two sayings:
The first is usually said to whom ever is in the car with me upon arrival at our destination, "Well, we cheated death again."

The second is discussed monthly at safety meetings at work, "There's only one way we are all going home tonight, and that's if we all do everything the right way today." Not that an outside influence couldn't change the outcome, but beware that we need to take control of that which we have control.
Jerry

wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

LOL! I love that first saying Jerry! :lol:

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

Ignorance, and Stupidity leads to injury!!!! Know your limits and be proud of them, for what ever reason don't be talked out of them unless education and practice comes first.

I am impulsive by nature , I will generally try anything and these are the rules I go by.

Just because you look like a mad man doesn't mean you are.

I dont have accidents
I only have assadents :shock:
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.