Smoking pipe

Got questions? We got answers....
jonyfiver

Smoking pipe

Post by jonyfiver »

Hey guys I have been looking for a FMF Gnarley for my 1990 KDX 200 and it looks as if it is only available for 1995-2006 :sad: does any one know what years will fit the 1990
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

89-94
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jonyfiver

Post by jonyfiver »

By the looks of my search I am SOL :mad:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

FMF makes a pipe for the E series.... just 1 though.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

If you've still got the stock pipe you can remove the inner wall of it which makes it pretty close to FMF pipe.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
jonyfiver

Post by jonyfiver »

FMF makes the fatty how does that compare to the Gnarley, ..........how do you remove the inner wall??????
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
jonyfiver

Post by jonyfiver »

nice I am gearin that up for sure, can you do that with any factory pipe??
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

The KDX factory pipes for sure. Other bike may vary.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I remember a guy who did that who was a professional welder. We conversed back and forth over the process and he had some good comments about the project that I will pass along.

First this he said is , "I wouldn't attempt this project if I wasn't a professional welder, the metal is very thin and burns through easily and is very hard to get a good weld on it."

Second thing he said relates to the first comment about the metal being thin.... ".... the pipe is basically a tin can, any drop and it will dent like a tin can"

And thirdly.... "....the performance increase was nominal.... in my opinion, the mod was not worth the effort.... I am just going to buy a FMF"

So, I guess you can attempt it but be warned! :twisted:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jonyfiver

Post by jonyfiver »

thanks, I have a few friends that are proffessional welders so I'll leave the dirty work up to them if I do decide to do it......I wish it was as easy for me to buy a FMF pipe because I love the silver finish as well but unfortunatly I need a 1989-1990 and FMF only make the Fattty for that year and it equals $$$$$$$$$ 309 for just the pipe
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Head and carb work will net more overall, usable, seat of the pants gain.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

First thing I did to my '02 220 was buy a pipe and fix the jetting. Jetting was $15, pipe was ~$200. I don't know for sure but I'd be willing to bet the pipe gain was minor compared to the jetting gain. I was thinkng the pipe would be amazing.

On my CR/KDX hybrid I had to weld new mounting brackets to the pipe in the expansion chamber area. Holy Cow, what a pain in the butt. I blew multiple holes and probably spent an hour welding, grinding, rewelding. This is with a Home depot MIG unit. I'm no proffesional welder, for sure, but not so bad. TIG would have been a much better process. A real welder with a real welding machine would have made short work of it.

If it were me, I'd put all effort into the suspension. A fella can go fast as heck with a weak motor if he's got good suspension. A fella can break his neck if he's got a strong motor and crappy suspension.

Just my thoughts....
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
jonyfiver

Post by jonyfiver »

Yeah I agree Karl think I'll hold off on the pipe, Just put a 12t sprocket on got a shock,clutch,gearshifter,rear fender from ebay, new rotor and pads for the back and new tires....I will wait till it is all installed before I go haywire....I just really enjoy tinkering I guess

what suspension work would you reccommend
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Minimum of revalved/resprung forks....Add revalved shock(resprung if needed)....Scratch modding the forks in leu of swapping them w/ late model KX forks.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
jonyfiver

Post by jonyfiver »

Shock is done so I shall do the forks :supz: