Trippin' to Kentucky

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Trippin' to Kentucky

Post by KDX Butterfly »

The hubby and I are planning a trip to Kentucky in summer of '08 to Kentucky. Your comments on good rides in that state would be nice. Keep in mind that we would like to move there in about five as well.

Thanx All!
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Wait for Rick and Jeb to come on. I know jeb isn't in riding shape but Rick and Andy might have suggestions they live by Cincinatti, WKRP I think. :grin:
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
braves10

Post by braves10 »

The Clay City mount parkway offroad is pretty good its about 45 min southeast of lexington
05KDX200
04yz250
04kx85
06pw50
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

>|<>QBB<
braves10 wrote:The Clay City mount parkway offroad is pretty good its about 45 min southeast of lexington
Is there a website to check?
braves10

Post by braves10 »

mpoffroad.com
05KDX200
04yz250
04kx85
06pw50
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Thanks!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Hi myksluv,

I haven't been to many of the big-named places. I tend to frequent the smaller, more local places and I ride on a private farm. There are, however, quite a few places in Kentucky that many speak well of:

MPOR (Mountain Parkway Offroad, mentioned above) is supposed to be a pretty good place; I've never been there but will get there eventually.

Redbird - Gov't property with well-marked trails. Do some searches on the web and see the following link. This place is south of Lexington.
http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/r8/boone/rec ... _red.shtml

Turkey Foot - similar to Redbird and also south of Lexington
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/recreation/ohv_lon.shtml

Land between the Lakes - In Western KY on the KY/TN border, almost straight down from where you folks live
http://www.lbl.org/OHVTrails.html

There are other smaller, less prominent places. One place that Rick, Andy, and I have found that we ended up liking very well is Eagle Creek Park in Owenton, KY. Small (400+ acres) but when we went there was NO ONE there. A great place to get into some technical trails without having to worry about performing death-defying feats. Perhaps a place to spend for one day during your trail-riding ventures in Kentucky.

One other place worth mentioning. If you're gonna travel to KY to ride, consider driving another 4 hours or so and riding on the Hatfield & McCoy trail systems in West Virginia. I know that there are several of us Kentuckians that would like to go; give us plenty of time to plan, who knows, you might have a bunch of hillbillies following you there!
http://www.lbl.org/OHVTrails.html
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
crf_kdx

Post by crf_kdx »

(1) Redbird Crest Trails east of Manchester at Big Creek ... maybe 80 to 90 miles with some nasty single track but mostly moderate double track trails. Permit Required. Primitive camping at Redbird Mission trailhead.

(2) Daniel Boone Trails / Leslie County at Hyden . . . reclaimed logging area. Marked trails ranging from beginner to expert. The KORHS series races there once a year. This system connects to Redbird Crest Trails. Permit required. Full service campground at trail head.

(3) S Tree / Turkey Foot (connected by one mile of HY 421) between Sandgap & McKee. Combined trail length of about 25 miles - all moderate double track. Primitive/free camping at either end of the trail. No permit required.

(4) Mountain Parkway Offroad south of Clay City. Privately run . . . trails ranging from easy to nasty (really nasty when it's wet) mostly double track. Cost is generally $15 per rider . . . but the price varies depending on the operator's mood. The site of three KORHS races this year. I think they have primitive camping on site at no extra charge. Relatively large area - maybe 2000+ acres. They have a small MX track but it's not well taken care of though. Trails are being cut for a November KORHS races on 1500 adjacent acres and so more trails may be open one day soon.

(5) Black Mountain at Harlan (really Evarts, KY). Probably best suited for four wheelers but lots and lots of trails. Local ATV club will serve as *free* guides. Reclaimed coal / timber area. Like Hatfield-McCoy trails you can ride into town for food, fuel, and such. Free to ride. (An effort is being made to connect to other trail systems in adjacent counties . . . some state money being thrown this way.)

(6) Land-between-the-lakes in western KY (Golden Pond, KY). They claim about 100 miles of trails on 2000 acres. This is a fee area - cost escapes me tonight but on the order of maybe $15 for three days. Trails range from jeep, to quad to a few single track along the lake. They now have "challenge areas" for those who like wild hill climbs. Primitive camping for about $8/night.

(7) A new trail system is in place in Knot County (in the neighborhood of Harlan). I don't much about this location yet. They are building or have built an ATV training center there with support from Honda and one other company.

(8) Saddleback. Private club about an hour east of L'ville, KY. Annual memberships runs about $500. Nice, nice property . . . lots and lots of hills. Camping available - maybe electric/water. Members may bring guests. I think this is a motorcycle only club - hence, single track trails can be found. Also the site of a KORHS race this year.

Other areas:

(9) Haspin Acres in the SE corner of IN. I've only been there once - no well formed opinion yet. They do have MX & SX tracks besides lots of trails. Primitive camping on site. Privately run - maybe $15/day?

(10) Coal Creek / WinRock outside Oak Ridge, TN (NW of Knoxville). Seemingly best suited to four wheelers but lots and lots of marked, well-maintained trails. Limited primitive camping on site. I hear they have these "secret" single track trails but I must not know the right people to get the skinny on just where they are located. WinRock is an ATV club and so most trails are set up for quads.
Last edited by crf_kdx on 09:45 pm Sep 25 2007, edited 2 times in total.
"There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't."
~ William Trogdon

2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750
2005 KDX 200 (mine)
2006 CRF 250X (son's)

2004 TTR 125LE (for sale)

KORHS Series: Senior C
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

DAMN! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
braves10

Post by braves10 »

is turkey foot what they use to call livingston?
05KDX200
04yz250
04kx85
06pw50
crf_kdx

Post by crf_kdx »

S Tree / Turkey Foot is about 15 miles NE as the crow flies from Livingston (a.k.a. 909). Livingston is officially closed these days - I understand local land owners were having more and more problems with drunks and their two- & four-wheeled toys. Jeeps and dual sport bikes (or at least bikes with plates) still ride there some. The kid and I saw a half dozen jeep trailers just this past weekend at 909. (We were trying to locate a piece of property for sale in that general area - no luck though.)
"There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't."
~ William Trogdon

2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750
2005 KDX 200 (mine)
2006 CRF 250X (son's)

2004 TTR 125LE (for sale)

KORHS Series: Senior C
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

One that cfr_kdx mentioned - Saddleback. I've been here on a couple of occasions as a guest and the singletrack is a blast. They have a peewee track, a reasonably maintained mx track and an old-fashioned grass track (both mx tracks are GP-style). They have decent camping accommodations (limited water and electrical hookups) and showers/restrooms.

A yearly membership of $500 is a bit high if you only ride occasionally but if you ride very frequently (every weekend) or have a family of riders this is a good deal. Once you're a member you get a key to the gate, so it's available for you 24/7.

If I continue to live in this area I'll probably join once my youngest son starts riding (cost-effective, right?!)
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Vince!!!!!!!!!
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

for those of you who contributed to my search...

THANK YOU!!!!

I have saved all links presented in my favorites and will be researching each of them. Hopefully in April or May I will have a route planned out for us and maybe all us "hillbillies" can meet up at one central ride.

kudos to all of you!!!!

:supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Why Kentucky? Don't they marry their cousins 'round those parts? :lol:
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

If you think about it....we are ALL related somehow! (If you believe in the whole theory of Adam and Eve, that is. Besides that, why NOT Kentucky?????