Race Gas Premix "stability"

Got questions? We got answers....
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Race Gas Premix "stability"

Post by Jeb »

Any reason why a mixture of race gas and pump gas would be any less stable than pump gas? Would a product like Stabil help either mixture equally?

Thanks!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Well, think of it like this:

Race fuel is stable. Pump gas is unstable. a 50/50 mix is 1/2 as stable as full race fuel, and 2x as stable as full pump-gas.

At least that's how I thought of it. Are there really big gains with Race Gas? I've never benn able to cope with the prices....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Wow I just realized I cleared 1,000 posts! Hooray for me!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Yeah, hooray for you - if only you knew something about race gas . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

:lol: Hey I was just surprised no one had answered yet, figgerd i'd give it a shot :mrgreen:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've used plenty of C-12 and mixed it 50/50 with pump premium. It has a shelf life as good as straight pump premium. Which is to say, it's performance will depend on the mods done to your bike. In my case, my KDX220 had a head mod by RB that required a blend of race gas or else it would ping. I used my mix of 50/50 as old as 4 weeks and didn't experience any lack of performance. BUT...... That gas was not mixed with 2 stroke oil until just before riding. I never mix the oil until I'm staging up to ride. I think that the oil might break down in gas if it's mixed and left standing for any length of time. I burned my unused fuel mix in my other 2 stroke motors; chainsaws, and such.

I've got a feeling the shelf life of race/pump gas is gonna depend on the quality of each and the container you keep it in. Do not store in a plastic jug for any length of time. I hear the plastic breaths and you loose some of the aromatics. A good, airtight metal container should provide a longer shelf life.

Man, I ramble on..... what was the question again?
Ha!!

Hope this helps
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Yes, Jerry, thanks!

I'm using a 50/50 race gas / premium pump for the same reason you did. Well worth the extra bit of expense and trouble.

I've heard the plastic container - breathing thing before but didn't know it was leak-specific enough such that some of the smaller-chained hydrocarbons made it through the plastic. Interesting . . .

CLICK FOR PICS!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I don't "know" that either, just that VP recommends storage in a metal container. I find their container works just fine for that. I pour out a measured amount, mix with an equal part of pump gas, and tag the can for that day's use. I usually don't mix up any more 50/50 or premix until I have to, just in case. Too many times a trip cancelled after I mixed the night before.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Steel cans are by far the best for freshness.....Especially if your gas has any alky in it like our crappy stuff.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project