KDX220 Splooge and other questions

Got questions? We got answers....
leeb_17

KDX220 Splooge and other questions

Post by leeb_17 »

I've read most all posts on this site about the splooge subject, jetting, RB work, pipes, etc. I could use some input on my bike.

'97 220
Eric Gore ported
Wiseco 1mm over
Rad valve w/carbon reeds
FMF Gnarly w/turbine core silencer
40:1 mixture - Redline
87 oct pump gas

Here's a bit of background.

I purchased this bike about 4yrs ago. From the first day I rode it it puked oil out the back like I couldn't believe ! I have played with mixture and jetting and still pukes oil out all over the fender, swingarm etc. It also sounds very strange, like the choke is on when you just open the throttle in neutral. You can hold it virtually wide open and it won't "clear" itself out. Does not have that bark like a two stroke should. Early on, I took the top end off and check powervalve installation and to this day believe it is correct.

So, over the years I've played with jetting and mixture to no avail. The bike screams on top but is boggy down low. Has erratic idle and at times will not idle even when the screw is in all the way.

I've even gone down to a 38 pilot and still would have idle trouble. I was thinking pilot was too rich at 42,40.

BTW, this bike has NEVER fouled a plug. Aside from the idle and splooge issues, the bike runs pretty well and has always been very reliable.

My questions are:

What effect does the porting have on some of the symptons I have. Specifically splooge.

Would the porting require jetting much different than what I read most of you are running.

How can I be down to a 38pj and still not get a decent idle. Seems like a rich idle condition.

I've read where KDX folks don't like the Rad Valve. Why.

I was told you cannot do a leak test on this bike because of the way the powervalves are. True?

Ok, a lot of questions, but this bike has stumped me for the past few yrs. Also, last year I bought a spare carb off Ebay. Both are identical with the exception of the carb top. My original top is black and has "coarse" threads on the screw on top. The Ebay carb top is the same color as the carb and has a "finer" thread pitch and will not screw on completely to either carb. Did someone swap the top off the Ebay carb? (can't seem to get pic to load)

I was thinking the bike has had a crank case leak all this time and have talked with Fredette about spliting the cases and putting in new seals. Also have new top end to put in but want to try to figure out thefe spooge and idle issues first.

Thanks,
Lee
'97 KDX220
Rad Valve
Wiseco 1mm +
FMF Gnarly
Gore ported
Splooge monster !
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Welcome to the site!

I'd go with a higher octane first. 87 is too low. 90+ is what she needs :)

She's a splooge monster, eh? Is that KDX splooging all over your rear fender? Is it splooging on your jersey as your riding? I can imagine that would be a Pain in the ass :lol:
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

run 93 clean the silencer, the jetting on a ported 220 is not the same as non ported or RB modded KDX. The porting does make it very sensitive to jetting changes and takes some work to get spot on. dump the rad valve! rad valve + porting not a good combo for the KDX this comes from just what I have read not all people that have had porting done have had luck with it. one thing could be that your cylinder is oval and not round.

do a search CC has had some fun with a ported cylinder and spooge.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
leeb_17

Post by leeb_17 »

>|<>QBB<
krazyinski wrote:run 93 clean the silencer, the jetting on a ported 220 is not the same as non ported or RB modded KDX. The porting does make it very sensitive to jetting changes and takes some work to get spot on. dump the rad valve! rad valve + porting not a good combo for the KDX this comes from just what I have read not all people that have had porting done have had luck with it. one thing could be that your cylinder is oval and not round.

do a search CC has had some fun with a ported cylinder and spooge.
Kraz, I figured the jetting I need wouldn't be the same as non ported motors. Any thoughts on which way to go from std jetting.....richer or leaner? So far it seems leaner is working since I've gone down to a 38pj and a 145mj.

Cylinder "oval and not round". Thats one thing I've never checked...to see if the bore is true.

I'll try taking the rad valve off and see what that does.

93 octane. Highest I've seen around here is 91. Other than race gas at 110, not sure where I can get 93.

I've talked with Fredette last week and will probably send him my motor to split and do seals and also take a look at the cylinder/head combo.

Thanks for the input.
'97 KDX220
Rad Valve
Wiseco 1mm +
FMF Gnarly
Gore ported
Splooge monster !
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Give 91 a shot - that might might be enough and would definitely help your bike.
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

Fredette did my motor and I love it.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
leeb_17

Post by leeb_17 »

The motor is out and getting ready to send to Fredette. I want to eliminate the possibility of any crank leaks, and have him replace all seals. Sending entire motor, cyl, head so he cant take a look at the Gore porting and PV to see if any issue.

After the motor is figured out, I'll decide if I want to do the USD fork mod or go for the entire KX/DX transition. Not sure if the KX/DX is good for tight trail stuff as well as open riding? I'm more concerned with the smaller KX tank and loss of fuel range. My KDX will go approxn 75mi on a tank...bone dry.

There was a complete '03 KX125 w/blown motor that went on Ebay yesterday for ~$700. That was a good deal, but since I'm in CA, I need an '02 or earlier.

I'll let you know what FRP finds out.
'97 KDX220
Rad Valve
Wiseco 1mm +
FMF Gnarly
Gore ported
Splooge monster !